PDA

View Full Version : Heat Sheild Help

cham
08-07-2005, 08:44 AM
I think I am overheating my power steering box. When I first start up in the morning the power steering is great, no problems at all. After a bit of driving I hit dead spots. If I park it for an hour or so it is fine again. I was looking at my Hooker super comp long tubes and my #1 header runs about 1/8" from the steering box and it makes it VERY hot. #3 & #5 run somewhat close too.

So I am thinking that the PS fluid may be boiling or becoming so thin that I get dead spots. The engine is supercharged so my headers get quite hot. I thought about wrapping the header that runs closest to the box but would that do? I dont like how the header wrap looks but it would only be a small area of the header.

Any ideas.

This is on a 69 camaro.

paul67
08-07-2005, 09:30 AM
Can you put a small flat dent in the hedders by the steering box to give a bit more space then make a stainless cover to go between and header and the box but on the side nearest the box put some header wrap against the cover and box, the cover then should cover also most of the dents in the hedders . I only say stainless as it might reflect some of the heat, you could poss use alloy.
paul67

CAMAROBOY69
08-07-2005, 11:07 AM
Have you installed a power steering fluid cooler? If yes then I would build a heat shield like Paul suggested. I would use aluminum. You could even polish it to make it look nice. Stainless would not work as well to get rid of the heat. Unfortunately, 1/8" space is not much to work with at all. Mabey you could attach the heat reflective material to one side of the shield and use 3m super silicone sealant and glue it one side of the shield. The super silicone can easily withstand header heat.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

cham
08-07-2005, 12:45 PM
Havent tried PS cooler, I was hoping there would be another way out. Might have to end up putting a cooler on it.

The hooker supercomp LT's are common on 69's, I was wondering what others have done to overcome the heat.

CAMAROBOY69
08-08-2005, 03:28 AM
Did you read the rest of what I said besides the steering cooler? I mentioned what you could do with a heat shield.

cham
08-08-2005, 08:50 AM
I saw that part. I like the idea of putting material on the heat shield, like taking a spark plug sock and cutting down one side to make it flat and attatch to one side of the heat shield. I was hoping that someone made a shield for what would seem to be a common problem. I know the turbo guys use heat shields.

I also wasnt 100% convinced that the steering problem is coming from the heat but it seems likely to me. What do you think?

Marcus SC&C
09-13-2005, 08:03 PM
Old thread but Cham if you`re still watching it.... We ran into the same problem with a `57 Chevy we did a 605 box power steering conversion on. We had t oclearance the header tubes just to keep them from actually touching the box. It got real hot,real fast! We tried a std. PS cooler we had in stock and it didn`t make much difference. It just made the cooler really hot too. We swapped it out for a big L-98 Corvette engine oil cooler. That was better but still after a pretty good drive or a couple hard blasts through the gears and the steering started to get funky again. A sheet of polished aluminum fastened to the box didn`t make much difference. The tubes are just too close and transfer the heat right through the aluminum. We ended up using a heat shield made from Koolmat`s NASA/Boeing insulation. This stuff is outrageous,they actually use it in spacecraft! It`s not cheap,about $.80 sq./in. but after installing it the box remains at room temp no matter how long you drive the car. It`s clad in a thick shiny quilted foil with sealed edges. It`s just a bit over 1/8" thick and semi flexible. If you`re interested give me a call. We`re a Koolmat dealer,I could have a shield made up for you. Probably run about $30. Marcus

cham
09-14-2005, 01:15 PM
Old thread but Cham if you`re still watching it.... We ran into the same problem with a `57 Chevy we did a 605 box power steering conversion on. We had t oclearance the header tubes just to keep them from actually touching the box. It got real hot,real fast! We tried a std. PS cooler we had in stock and it didn`t make much difference. It just made the cooler really hot too. We swapped it out for a big L-98 Corvette engine oil cooler. That was better but still after a pretty good drive or a couple hard blasts through the gears and the steering started to get funky again. A sheet of polished aluminum fastened to the box didn`t make much difference. The tubes are just too close and transfer the heat right through the aluminum. We ended up using a heat shield made from Koolmat`s NASA/Boeing insulation. This stuff is outrageous,they actually use it in spacecraft! It`s not cheap,about $.80 sq./in. but after installing it the box remains at room temp no matter how long you drive the car. It`s clad in a thick shiny quilted foil with sealed edges. It`s just a bit over 1/8" thick and semi flexible. If you`re interested give me a call. We`re a Koolmat dealer,I could have a shield made up for you. Probably run about $30. Marcus

That sounds good.

Are you familiar with the Hooker Supercomp L/T's? Do you attach the blanket to the steering box or #1 clylinder pipe? Either way let me know. Do you have a site I can take a look.

Thanks
Charlie

Marcus SC&C
09-14-2005, 06:30 PM
We had the shield made with eyelets in each corner,wrapped it around the box and fastened it with basically stainless zip ties. Our site is on my sig line. www.SCandC.com I don`t have any Koolmat stuff on there yet but we will soon. Just give me a call at the shop and we`ll hook you up. :) Marcus

cham
09-15-2005, 03:07 PM
Thanks Marcus! I gave your shop a call but I dont get home till 7pm. Can you confirm $30 as the price? If so I will go ahead and place the order tomorrow.

Stainless zip ties, like the plastic ones? Never seen em, what would you charge to throw those in the box?

cham
09-19-2005, 05:18 PM
I havent been able to call yet Marcus, I have not been getting home till after 7 all week. I will try and reach you this week or next at the latest.

Thanks