PDA

View Full Version : C4 a-frames zoops or powder coat?

VenturaII
08-07-2005, 07:13 AM
I started polishing my C4 spindles and a-frames and had planned to use Zoops seal to finish them with. Should I dump this idea and go with powdercoat for durability or will the Zoops hold up well enough?

derekf
08-07-2005, 07:43 AM
My understanding is even with the Zoops Seal you'd need to repolish/recoat every six months or so.

Jim Nilsen
08-07-2005, 08:08 AM
I heard that Zoop's will last up to 2 years or more. I also know that my polished spindles and uc and lc arms that have been polished for over 2yrs without anything on them still look the same. I keep wondereing that if you don't see bad weather and let dirt that can corrode them sit on them then a little wax will do just fine and I can move on to driving the car sooner.

I do the final polish with good old semichrome polish and wipe with a damp cloth. I used this on bicycle wheels and crank arms when I was young and it lasted just fine. I think we all want a maintenance free vehicle and there is really no such thing unless you are going to do the maintenance and not charge yourself, but hey beverages cost money and I have them ready when I do maintenance on any vehicle I work on so is anything FREE!!

I would stay away from powdercoat since it can peel and chip. It may protect the surface a bit better but it can also yellow a bit too.It is also another heat cycle to put the aluminum through that really isn't wanted IMHO.

Also I have heard many good things lately about the crystal clear coating from POR/Restomotive industries.

Jim Nilsen

Mean 69
08-07-2005, 04:13 PM
If you are really going to get after the car, or actually, even if not, powder coating on any suspension piece is NOT advised. No doubt, it looks terrific, but it will hide any cracks that can be formed from normal, or abnormal usage. Suspension components on any performance car should be inspected annually, or after every suspect "hit," and powder coating will hide any hairline-or-greater fractures. Not safe.

Mark

streetk14
08-07-2005, 05:22 PM
You might want to consider getting them ceramic coated. I just got mine back from the coater, and they are beautiful. Like others said, powder coating is probably not the best idea. A clear powder coat will make them look gray also. You could get them clear anodized. It keeps the natural aluminum look. The ceramic coating looks the best IMO, and I don't think that it will hide any cracks or damage to the parts. Here are some pics of a C4 subframe with the ceramic coated parts.
-Andy

yody
08-07-2005, 05:31 PM
The only thing about ceramic coating, is that is a pain to clean, My valve covers are ceramic coated, and you have to use aluminum polish just to get out finger prints. Real pita. Also if powder is no good then i guess people should take off the thousands and thousands of tubular control arms that have been installed in the last 5 years? I could see the powder issue being a issue for a strictly race car, but for a street car I don't see it being an issue. I have had 2 issues with welds breaking on a 71 cutlass and my 71 firebird, both times it was a control arm mount that broke from the frame. I never was under the car and found a crack before it happened. probably because i never spent that much time studying every part of the suspesion with a magnifying glass. Usually when something breaks, it just goes.

BrianP
08-07-2005, 07:26 PM
streetk14,
Where did you get your C4 control arm bushings? They look like a Global West del-a-lum bushing but Global West does not list any for that application on their website.
Thanks,
Brian

Kenova
08-08-2005, 07:18 AM
streetk14,
Where did you get your C4 control arm bushings? They look like Global West del-a-lum bushing but Global West does not list any for that application on their website.
Thanks,
Brian

Ditto.
Ken

VenturaII
08-08-2005, 04:55 PM
I have a set also. They are Global West. They just don't list them for some reason.

streetk14
08-08-2005, 07:27 PM
Those are Global West bushings, and they still offer them. I'm not sure why they are not listed online. You'd think there are Vette guys out there who would want them.

Yody, I guess we'll see how it works out. :fingersx: My suspension parts are not a smooth, polished surface. I've been handling them, and haven't noticed any fingerprints (like you would on polished aluminum). I'd think that a smooth, ceramic coated valve cover would be much harder to keep clean. Then again, I don't think that I'll be under my car polishing my suspension either.
-Andy

Steve Chryssos
08-09-2005, 04:31 AM
Also if powder is no good then i guess people should take off the thousands and thousands of tubular control arms that have been installed in the last 5 years?

Yeah right. Because safety NEVER takes a back seat to marketing.

I never was under the car and found a crack before it happened. probably because i never spent that much time studying every part of the suspesion with a magnifying glass. Usually when something breaks, it just goes.

Huh? That's the dumbest thing I ever read. Find a crack before it happens? When it comes to questions regarding safety, try to resist your never-ending urge to play devil's advocate. The guy simply asked polished or powder coat. Polished is the better solution. Can't you just leave it at that?

And yes, you should be "nut & bolting" your hot rod once per year. While going over your car, you should be looking for cracks. Powder coating will make cracks harder to find. Period. :wedgie:
/Steevo

yody
08-09-2005, 10:27 AM
allright you come over with your magnifying glass and check the entire frame for cracks, remember we don't all have aftermarket frames like you, a stock frame looks like one big crack!! or someone smokin crack when they made it! Its just that I have seen so many powdercoated front suspensions and rarely ever hear of peoples control arms cracking in half. I see your point but in the street enviroment the protection powdercaoting gives in terms of not rusting and chip protection to me is greater than the chance of hiding a crack that i "might" of found. I would have to agree with the "nut & bolting" once a year, that is a good idea, and i have seen people wreck from bolts coming loose. Also I wasn't playing devils advocate, what I said is really how i feel, and i definetly wasn't starting anything, and i didn't call anyones opinion "the dumbest thing i ever read" Like I said I have had 2 supsension failures, with mounts breaking off of the frame, however the suspension was spray painted and the way the frame looks, I wouldn't of seen it even if I inspected it. Make me a believer, show me an example of a cracked supesnion component,that someone caught before it failed, that wouldn't of been noticalbe IF it would of had powdercoating, but NOT on a race car. :) :) :)

Steve Chryssos
08-09-2005, 11:16 AM
Make me a believer, show me an example of a cracked supesnion component,that someone caught before it failed, that wouldn't of been noticalbe IF it would of had powdercoating, but NOT on a race car. :) :) :)

No.

yody
08-09-2005, 11:19 AM
just call me the "powdercoating crusader!"

Mean 69
08-09-2005, 06:07 PM
Its just that I have seen so many powdercoated front suspensions and rarely ever hear of peoples control arms cracking in half.

Doesn't sound like too many of your buds track the poop out of their cars on a regular basis.

I see your point but in the street enviroment the protection powdercaoting gives in terms of not rusting and chip protection to me is greater than the chance of hiding a crack that i "might" of found.

I see your point too, but it is still a bit flawed, although less severe? No question, coatings help prevent "surface" rust, makes everything look really pretty. And honestly, there is NOTHING wrong with that, street rods need to look good by their definition, and I hope we can all love them as much as I do. BUT! There are equally effective ways of preventing corosion on suspension pieces, they just don't smooth over the not so smooth parts, and will reveal stress fractures far better than powder coating. Really, it is not a big deal.

Sorry, Yody, but as you know, I(we) are more intent on function prevailing over form. Really, to each his own. Just one group's opinion. Powder away.

M

yody
08-09-2005, 06:36 PM
well, in ways I agree with function over form, like back when i posted about stainles suspension bolts, I was just curious if they would work on the upper control arm shaft(have grade 8's on lowers) and was immmediatly told it was not a good idea, so i went with grade 8's. I see your point and i don't think that powdercoated control arms make a street rod. Also last time i checked polishing doesnt' resist corrosion, however i guess it could take away and sharp spots are places where a crack might decide to happen. It's just that there are 1,000's of cars out there with powdercoating that are driven heavily and I have yet to hear of a problem. I mean(no pun intended) technically you are right here, but i think it is really getting anal. I just don't think that many people out there have really missed a hariline crack in their suspension part because it was powdercoated, well probably just because they didnt' look. Another point is that he has aluminum control arms which then you would also be correct, I wouldn't powdercoat aluminum either, but on steel arms and the frame I don't see any negatives to powdercoating.

yody
08-09-2005, 06:39 PM
BTW cracks aren't a problem for me, i take my suspension monthly with a special suspension magnafux machine :)

Kenova
08-11-2005, 06:50 AM
[QUOTE=yody] .........a stock frame looks like one big crack!! or someone smokin crack when they made it!.......... [QUOTE]
:lmao: :lmao:
This is so true!!!!!!!! That's why I put 3 1/2 lbs. of mig wire into mine!
Ken

Steve Chryssos
08-11-2005, 10:12 AM
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah!

Given a jury of eskimos, Yody could argue the detriments of using ice in the manufacture of igloos. Have you considered law school Yo?

yody
08-11-2005, 10:29 AM
hey i'm not the only one in this thread using powdercoated control arms :) cough, cough, heh, heh

Zefhix
08-11-2005, 02:44 PM
hey i'm not the only one in this thread using powdercoated control arms :) cough, cough, heh, heh

No..no you're not. My lowers are boxed and powdercoated as are my knuckles...and my rotor hats and my tie rods and my centerlink and my pitman arm and my idler arm and my sway bars........
Guess my POS is just gonna crap out on me on my first lateral-g attempt :drive2:

yody
08-11-2005, 08:59 PM
hey, does this thread remind anyone of the crossdrilled rotors?? :)

Jim Nilsen
08-11-2005, 09:27 PM
Zoops is actually a ceramic type of coating.

Jim nilsen

yody
08-11-2005, 09:32 PM
zoops works "alright" but if you ever get anything kinda nasty on it, you have to polish it out which takes off the zoops :(

Mean 69
08-12-2005, 07:29 AM
Guess my POS is just gonna crap out on me on my first lateral-g attempt

Lateral-g attempt? E-gads! What if you like, get a stone chip on the car? Hey!!! I've got it! Powder-coat the exterior too!!!! Yeah, that's it! Maybe you could develop some really cool powder-coat compound to keep the tires looking nice?! I bet the car would run faster too!

Look, all I was doing was pointing out one FACT about the stuff, you can do what you want with your own car, it really is totally up to you. It is clear that the overwhelming majority of cars will never ever be driven hard enough to stress the components (and frankly, that's sad), but I will always stand by my statement. Do you check your oil? Brake fluid?

Peace,
Mark

yody
08-12-2005, 09:05 AM
crossdrilled rotors.......

Zefhix
08-13-2005, 10:59 AM
My sarcasm, apparently, doesn't type out well. Guess you have to know me....
My post wasn't meant to be a shot at anyone.....so I won't even bother addressing yours. Try doing a little research on someone and what their doing before you type....good luck. :)

Lateral-g attempt? E-gads! What if you like, get a stone chip on the car? Hey!!! I've got it! Powder-coat the exterior too!!!! Yeah, that's it! Maybe you could develop some really cool powder-coat compound to keep the tires looking nice?! I bet the car would run faster too!

Look, all I was doing was pointing out one FACT about the stuff, you can do what you want with your own car, it really is totally up to you. It is clear that the overwhelming majority of cars will never ever be driven hard enough to stress the components (and frankly, that's sad), but I will always stand by my statement. Do you check your oil? Brake fluid?

Peace,
Mark

yody
08-17-2005, 09:35 AM
just remembered CarlC has powdercoated upper and lower tubulars and runs his at the track really hard more than often, I have seen it personally, he doesn't seem to have any problems either

Sparky67
08-17-2005, 07:56 PM
Zoops is actually a ceramic type of coating.

Jim nilsen

No, it is not! I don't what Zoop is claiming, but it is a sealer. Actually, Zoop's state that it is a sealer on their website. A ceramic coating is applied by a heat process. Plasma coating is one type of process to apply a ceramic coating on a part.