PDA

View Full Version : block sanders

camaro427-69
12-14-2012, 04:45 AM
my buddy starts working on my camaro´s sheetmetal now but he´s also starting work on other muscles and full size cars but the sanders he can get around here are too small to do a large area straight. what block sanders are you guys using and whats the largest you can get. needs to be good stuff cause he works in a garage and does all the body work.

thanks,
pat

dhutton
12-14-2012, 04:53 AM
I used a 27" AFS sander to block my 57 Belair. It worked great. You can adjust the flex by removing the steel rods. A little pricey but well worth the money.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/afy-8907688317

They come in other lengths all the way to 36".

astroracer
12-14-2012, 08:29 AM
Check Eastwood, they have a ton of this stuff! I have a number of board sanders from 6 to 18 inches long and I use a lot of the Dura-block stuff but, to be honest, I use whatever is on hand. I have a drawer full of different items that I use for getting into corners and radii. I have used soda bottles, radiator and heater hoses, stir sticks and popsicle sticks, you name it, it's probably had sandpaper wrapped around it.

jlcustomz
12-14-2012, 03:54 PM
Many big name guys these days make sanding blocks from balsa wood, which isn't much different than many of the homemade sticks of various sizes & thicknesses I've made myself for years. Expensive store bought tools can be nice, but at the end of the day it still comes down to skill, Especially if you make mamy of your own tools.

camaro427-69
12-16-2012, 12:22 PM
was already looking at those AFS sanding blocks. maybe i´ll give them a try on my next summit order. thanks guys

snappytravis
12-16-2012, 04:49 PM
3m makes a nice set for using with hookit paper they are yellow, exactly the same as the durablock but have the velcro backing, good for 180 dry, then use the regular durablok for wetsanding.

elitecustombody
12-21-2012, 08:55 AM
I you want true flat surface, you need to make them out of hardwood flooring planks or nice thick aluminum ruler from Harbor Freight, that's what I use.The longer and wider the board, the better the results.You can also get them at marine supply .Those fancy foam blocks with adjustable rods, won't give you flat surface,

MarkM66
12-21-2012, 03:25 PM
Unfortunately, I rarely find a truly flat area to sand... :nopity:

dhutton
12-21-2012, 03:39 PM
I you want true flat surface, you need to make them out of hardwood flooring planks or nice thick aluminum ruler from Harbor Freight, that's what I use.The longer and wider the board, the better the results.You can also get them at marine supply .Those fancy foam blocks with adjustable rods, won't give you flat surface,

Just curious if you have tried the AFS sanding block. It has a thick steel base and is not a simple block of foam with steel rods. I've tried blocks of wood and found the AFS to be superior. Granted I'm not a professional so my opinion is less worthy...

Rucumn
12-26-2012, 10:08 AM
The AFS longboard sanders have a stainless steel plate on the bottom and they are straight. If you have straight or gradually curved surfaces, these sanders are worth the money. I use a 21" for most work. I do not like the hard foam Durablock sanders for large panels, but the smaller blocks are good for tight spaces and curves.

sccacuda
12-26-2012, 12:20 PM
I like Durablocks. I use pieces of extruded aluminum for really long blocks, but they get hard to control and keep the pressure even. The old plastic long boards with the two handles are still one of the easiest to control and keep the pressure correct. I have some really long blocks, but rarely find a surface that is long and flat enough to use it.