PDA

View Full Version : Sailpanel install question?

navyflyer72
08-06-2005, 09:56 PM
I bought the pre-covered sailpanels (I think they were from Rick's 1st gen.), now ready to install them, I am looking at the back of the panels and am wondering where and how to attach the clips that press into the b-pillar to fasten the sailpanels to the car... help.
Thanks, George

paul67
08-06-2005, 11:53 PM
If i remember there should be some holes for the clips to go into, if not you need to drill to match holes that are in the rear body panels.
paul67

Steve Chryssos
08-07-2005, 05:24 AM
I bought the pre-covered sailpanels (I think they were from Rick's 1st gen.), now ready to install them, I am looking at the back of the panels and am wondering where and how to attach the clips that press into the b-pillar to fasten the sailpanels to the car... help.
Thanks, George

George,
This is one of the greatest mysteries known to man. If you find the answer, please share with install pix (seriously)
/Steevo

navyflyer72
08-07-2005, 08:12 AM
Steve, I definately will post pics when I figure this out. I can see where on the car the clips would attach to, however the back of the sail panels are completely flat, imagine a piece of hard (thin) cardboard. In all my install books they show an indent that looks like the clips slide into the indent and hold fast that way, but these have nothing at all on the back... maybe they put the fabric on the wrong side of these sailpanels and covered the side where the clips are supposed to go.. Just thought of that. I'm off to check.
-George

Steve Chryssos
08-07-2005, 09:45 AM
Mine are the same way.

Jim Nilsen
08-07-2005, 04:41 PM
I had an original to take a pic of and I don't remember what the bottm clips exactly looked like but I believe the were like the clips on the front door panels. Either way the clips that are used for the front door panels that snap into the plastic grommet might work whith the right adhesives.

I tried to upload the file and it didn't work. I found my folder and then the pic and hit upload and it didn't go. Is my pic too big ? I have uploaded pics before with no problem.

The clips are just 1" square and have a slot to mount them. I would think someone has them for sale since they ripped off of the bottom 2 when I removed mine. I still don't know where I put them after I moved :hammer:

i just had a thought, You could use the 2 sided trim adhesive or the black strip adhesive for moulding on the side of the car. If you ever had to remove it you would want make sure you just use little pieces and not a whole strip. It should just peel the paper off of the surface when removing it.

Jim Nilsen

Steve Chryssos
08-08-2005, 01:35 PM
Yup. The clips are the same as the door panels, but on these aftermarket sail panels, there's no place to put 'em. So I've tried trim adhesive, yellow snot, super velcro--all with the same results. Gravity wins every time. I'm about ready to just screw them on.

It must be the obscene cornering loads.....

PRO TC
08-08-2005, 05:51 PM
im glad im not the only one that had problems with the sail panels.i tucked the ends in tight and used two sided tape at the top. it looks pretty good but sometimes you have to push on them to get the tape to hold them in place. it seems like the cardboard just wont take the shape.

barry

cslithergo
08-08-2005, 06:46 PM
The ones that I got from Rick's had a small square extra piece of cardboard glued to the back in the locations of the holes in the car. There was a small slot that the clip fit into. If yours do not have this extra piece of cardboard then I would give Rick's a call about it. Attached is a bad drawing but maybe you get the idea

Jim Nilsen
08-13-2005, 06:40 AM
While working out the headliner in my car I had the thought more than once to install the deluxe interior lights that have a mounting place right in the center of the damn things. It seems like the best way to make sure they stay put.

I was also considering putting a small speaker there also since not too many people will ever sit right next to it anyway.

I like the extra piece of cardboard idea to hold the clip. I think the right adhesive would also hold a piece of aluminum to it also.

If you are covering the panels and have the cardboard free of doing damage to the material you could staple the clip on and hammer it flat before you cover it up. This would be a lot like the puncture tangs that held on the originals.

Jim Nilsen

redss86
08-16-2005, 04:29 AM
Here is one method I have used and had pretty good luck with it holding:

Get some adhesive backed velcro and some spray adhesive. Spray the back of the panel and the b-pillar w/ adhesive. Let the adhesive dry a little bit to where it doesn't string up on your finger. Then attach the velcro to the adhesive. Allow this to set a little while, then install the panel.

I do upholstery for a living, and this has worked multiple times for me.

Good luck,
Joe Marti

Jim Nilsen
08-16-2005, 08:32 AM
The velcro idea sounds great, can't believe the rest of us didn't think of it sooner.

You might have to attach it into the recess areas to make it work but I can see where it will do the job.

Thanks, Jim Nilsen

PRO TC
09-12-2005, 08:58 PM
i had to post a update. ive never been happy with the way my sail panels fit at the top thay were just not tight enought. so after reading jims post about the door panel clips being what was used to hold them in place it clicked in my head. so i pulled the rubber molding loose removed my two sideded tape and velcro sure enough there the holes were. but the clips wouldnt slide in so i used a pic to make a little space put the clips in and snaped the sail panels in place. what a diff took out the wrinkles above the panels and thay are tight as hell. what a great thread this was. thanks to all. one tip install clips in sail panel before you install headliner. the clips kinda suck to install with the sail panel partialy installed
pro tc/barry