PDA

View Full Version : Protecting iron Master cylinder and Brake calipers

Corey R.
12-10-2012, 06:18 AM
We have a new master cylinder and brake calipers from inlinetube. They are raw iron like the factory parts. I like the color and look of the raw iron, but also want to keep them from rusting. I was thinking of clear coating them, but I don't know if that will keep them from rusting, and they might come out a bit too glossy for me. Another choice would be to find paint close to the original iron color.

What is typically done to protect these parts from rusting?

ChevelleNV
12-10-2012, 07:17 AM
If your talking about keeping it from rusting while its being stored, spray a little wd40 on it and seal it in a plastic bag.

AintQik
12-10-2012, 08:26 AM
I can tell you from my personal experience that when I clear coated parts on my 67, they rusted anyway. I used a satin clear for the reasons you mentioned and it absolutely did not work. Now the part (gearbox) is in there so tight on my 468 car that there is no way I'm taking it out to fix. I can't say if it was prep or not but the thing is rusted under the clear in less than 2 years. Its much better than it would be raw, but looks like crap none the less. My suggestion would be to paint it with a "cast blast" paint like that from Eastwood. It looks pretty good and is pretty durable. I found it to look very much like the natural finish.

Classic Nova & Performance
12-12-2012, 11:41 AM
I've used "Cast Renew" spray paint. Looks like cast iron, but keeps them from rusting, at least for a while. Easy to redo when needed.

oldsmobeast72
12-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Duplicolor cast iron looks pretty good, high temp, I did my master cylinder, calipers and steering box in it.

projex
12-23-2012, 12:58 PM
I like POR-15 Metal Mask, great final look and great durability over time

If it's new cast iron I usally wipe / wash the parts down with POR solvent first to clean the parts - if that doesn't get them clean enough their "Marine Clean" is a great degreaser. Make sure parts are dry and spray on product 2-3 coats, thinned 10 -15% as needed, fog the last coat for a nice cast look. (mix product well)

BonzoHansen
12-23-2012, 03:15 PM
por15, follow instructions; fog with etch primer when tacky; a bit more primer when por15 is cured; then cast blast of your choice. napa has it on the shelf.

or straight por15 black.