PDA

View Full Version : textured paint for engine compartment

srh3trinity
12-06-2012, 01:58 PM
I am looking for a nice textured paint in black that would mimick the texture on the intake manifold of my LS3. I am thinking of doing the valve covers and timing cover in black with a similar texture and obviously want something that will hold up. I likely will leave the block raw aluminum.

jlcustomz
12-06-2012, 04:56 PM
I,ve used the vht krinkle black on MT valve covers years ago.It's a stronger texture & the spray can paint held out ok for several years of dd use.

srh3trinity
12-07-2012, 09:33 AM
I will pick some of that up at the parts store. Good to know it will hold up. That was my primary concern. I am wanting to make sure it has the right sheen, color and texture to blend with the intake. Alternatively, I may smooth the intake and then paint it, the valve covers and the timing cover the same color.

jlcustomz
12-07-2012, 01:08 PM
What gave first on the old valve covers was the adhesion. But that was a long time ago before I knew about things like using ac coil cleaner for cleaning aluminum & self etching primer. I recently tried rust oleum self etching primer on some smooth galvanized metal. Woldn't scrape off with my thumbnail the next day.
Clean, clean, & clean again.

indyjps
12-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Crinkle powder coat is available if you're looking for more durable finish