PDA

View Full Version : What Posi?

madmax
08-05-2005, 01:26 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm going to be getting a 9" made pretty soon and was wondering what you guys recommend for a Posi? I think there was a post somewhere about this subject, but I can't seem to find it... a Locker? The car is mostly going to be street driven, but with a few track days here or there/every month.

Thanks,
Max

derekf
08-05-2005, 01:44 PM
Pretty sure this is the post you were thinking of:

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9449

chicane67
08-05-2005, 03:44 PM
A Torsen.......

BRIAN
08-05-2005, 05:18 PM
Will the torsen hold up to lite drag use. Yeah I know you want to know the exact combo. I have used just about every posi or locker rear but the gear type. When you call most of the big name rear co's they shy away from it for some reason. Actually Strange requested that I buy it and send it to them if I wanted it installed in a Dana?? Not really sure why.

chicane67
08-05-2005, 05:50 PM
They shy away because they dont understand how to set one up properly.

In all actuality, the assembly has to be taken apart right out of the box and set up correctly, before you ever install a ring gear on it........ Strange, Mark Williaws and a few other know this, that is why Strange had such a request.

streetk14
08-06-2005, 01:49 PM
If the car is mostly street driven, you might not be happy with a locker. They can be a bit harsh and noisy. I've had 3 different posi units in my 9" (trac-lock, Auburn pro series & Detroit Truetrac). The True-trac has been the best one yet. It doesn't seem to wear out, hooks up great, and is very smooth and quiet.
-Andy

Supra510
08-06-2005, 02:51 PM
I have at True-Trac and like was mentioned it is quiet ( I don't notice any noise) and breaks away smoothly. For the street I don't think you want a locker as it makes the car difficult to turn (never had one, but from what I've read makes parking w/o power steering very difficult), and for activities like autocross and track days can cause you car to understeer quite a bit. The guy who installed mine has a Mustang drag car and is a Ford tech and was really impressed with the quality of the LSD.

Anthony
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/674663

madmax
08-06-2005, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the response guys. I was looking at the True-Tracs because I heard the Lockers were too loud and too brutal for crusing on a Sunday. I've also heard people a little dissatisfied with their Auburn units... so it looks like a True-Track is in my future.

--Max

funcars
08-09-2005, 07:50 AM
I've run a locker and the banging is pretty annoying. They also are difficult to drive smoothly on a road course.

Another option:
I am running a Black Gold from DPI. It is a torque sensing diff that has some advantages of a limited slip clutch unit as well. Works great on road courses - but it is expensive.

madmax
08-09-2005, 12:24 PM
I'm not going to be doing any autoX. Only the 1/8th mile (1/4 mile too far away :squint: ). Sorry for the confusion, but thanks for the imput!

--Max