PDA

View Full Version : 1962 impala rear arch repair problems

dragsterrz
11-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Wassup guys.. I am in the process of repairing my rear fender arch on the impala.. I bought some rear arch sections and while i was in the process of cutting it out, i found the inner arch are badly rusted out also around the edges.... any ideas of quick repair for the inner panels?

Worst case, I was thinking about after i weld on the new section, cut the inners out and just patch it up with some new metal..

here is a pic of what the panel look like before i touched it..
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/11/nzhibq-1.jpg

and here is how it looks now with a little section cut out..
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/11/5w75-1.jpg

and heres a pic of a mock up of the new panel..
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/11/do9p9c-1.jpg

dragsterrz
11-29-2012, 09:30 AM
anybody have any ideas before i tackle this project again soon?

BobK
11-30-2012, 03:46 AM
You're on the right track- fab up some patches to replace the rotted inner sections. Before you fab the panels, make sure you know the extend of the rot- what you're seeing is probably only 50% of what's bad, and it'd suck to fab a patch, cut out the old, and find out you're trying to weld to thinned out material (you'll probably have to patch in even higher than where the outer panel is cut in the second photo to find good metal). Since you'll want the lip on the patches and want to follow the arch, you'll need a shrinker/stretcher setup to make the patches.

dhutton
11-30-2012, 04:18 AM
I would try to buy some outer wheel housings that are similar in shape/profile to use/modify for your patches rather than make the patches from scratch. Perhaps some from a 63 since they are available.

dragsterrz
12-02-2012, 09:09 PM
You're on the right track- fab up some patches to replace the rotted inner sections. Before you fab the panels, make sure you know the extend of the rot- what you're seeing is probably only 50% of what's bad, and it'd suck to fab a patch, cut out the old, and find out you're trying to weld to thinned out material (you'll probably have to patch in even higher than where the outer panel is cut in the second photo to find good metal). Since you'll want the lip on the patches and want to follow the arch, you'll need a shrinker/stretcher setup to make the patches.

Thanks for the advise.. Yea on the second picture, i just cut a little section to see whats going on behind the outter panel.... I plan to use mostly all the metal from the new panel..

The shrinker/strectcher setup is exactly what i need but dont have any source to that kinda tool.. I might just bend, cut and patch one piece at a time

dragsterrz
12-02-2012, 09:11 PM
I would try to buy some outer wheel housings that are similar in shape/profile to use/modify for your patches rather than make the patches from scratch. Perhaps some from a 63 since they are available.

Yea i been looking everywhere but cant seem the find exact inner panel for the 62.. Is there a specific name for this inner panel?