PDA

View Full Version : Being different (Mitsubishi Evolution Brembos on 1g Firebird)

Buryingthesun
11-25-2012, 04:25 AM
So with all the aftermarket disc brake conversions and OEM swap parts out there I still decided to go at it alone and do something different. Main reason being I want to run a specific set of wheels on my 1967 firebird, well these wheels do not come in a bolt pattern that works on American cars. I don't like hub adapters so I will be machining my own disc hubs for drum spindles in the bolt pattern that is proper for me. The cool part about the set up is they are a top load caliper, so to swap pads it's a matter of moments opposed to a project.

I will get some progress pics up as soon as possible. Has anyone used "jap" brakes on there muscle car?

john31s
11-25-2012, 06:38 AM
I think someone on here was putting Lexus brakes on their car, but in the end brakes are brakes. If your making your own hub you shouldn't run into to many problems.

Buryingthesun
11-25-2012, 08:51 AM
I'm not expecting any problems, should be a trick setup once complete. I'm using 2 piece composite rotors and hawk hp plus pads... Stop on a dime!

jpgolf14
11-25-2012, 11:38 AM
I'm not expecting any problems, should be a trick setup once complete. I'm using 2 piece composite rotors and hawk hp plus pads... Stop on a dime!

I looked at Evo / STI Brembo calipers but was turned away by the price of them especially compared to the larger gen I CTS-V Brembo calipers which are $120. Any of the modern Brembos / Wilwoods are top load.

If you are dropping the coin on composite (carbon ceramic?) rotors, I'm sure you are chasing every ounce and I would highly recommend getting a set of aluminum hubs made. They are not that expensive and save about 4lbs each over iron hubs.

Sounds like a fun swap.

John

MrQuick
11-25-2012, 11:41 AM
other than mounting flange and appropriate piston size for vehicle its not really different, brembos a brembo is a brembo. Make it work.
I think the only thing you may run into is wheel fitment.
Also not to push the politicaly correct issue again but some viewers of this site may find the term "Jap" offensive. Just a heads up.

Buryingthesun
11-25-2012, 12:19 PM
I looked at Evo / STI Brembo calipers but was turned away by the price of them especially compared to the larger gen I CTS-V Brembo calipers which are $120. Any of the modern Brembos / Wilwoods are top load.

If you are dropping the coin on composite (carbon ceramic?) rotors, I'm sure you are chasing every ounce and I would highly recommend getting a set of aluminum hubs made. They are not that expensive and save about 4lbs each over iron hubs.

Sounds like a fun swap.

John

For me the cost on the calipers was a case of beer and wrench time on my buddy's race car. The rotors will be expensive, but like you said I am looking for weight savings. The hubs are being made out of 6061 billet aluminum, they should add a bit of weight savings. The wheels are 17x9 and 17x10 Enkie RPF1s alone they weigh less than the factory 14" wheels.

Buryingthesun
11-25-2012, 12:21 PM
other than mounting flange and appropriate piston size for vehicle its not really different, brembos a brembo is a brembo. Make it work.
I think the only thing you may run into is wheel fitment.
Also not to push the politicaly correct issue again but some viewers of this site may find the term "Jap" offensive. Just a heads up.

I in no way meant for it to be derogatory in any way, I have been building imports for years and love the technology used in them.

jpgolf14
11-25-2012, 05:22 PM
For me the cost on the calipers was a case of beer and wrench time on my buddy's race car. The rotors will be expensive, but like you said I am looking for weight savings. The hubs are being made out of 6061 billet aluminum, they should add a bit of weight savings. The wheels are 17x9 and 17x10 Enkie RPF1s alone they weigh less than the factory 14" wheels.

That is the right price. Be sure to post up some pictures.

Buryingthesun
11-26-2012, 08:25 AM
That is the right price. Be sure to post up some pictures.

Pics will be posted, just need to get some more parts flowing