PDA

View Full Version : Dynamat installation

mdprovee
08-04-2005, 12:35 PM
I am going to start my dynamt extreme installation soon. I have nver touched this stuff before.

Any tips on the installation? Starting point? Do one side then the other? Front to back?

Thanks, Mike

USAZR1
08-04-2005, 03:13 PM
Do a search as there was a long thread about Dynamat and others just a short time ago.

ProTeal55
08-04-2005, 03:26 PM
My 2cents.......

- Make sure the area about to be Dynamatted is super clean, for the best stick.

- Do yourself a favor and buy the little roller , makes the whole job easier.

- Do a small section at a time , so you can take your time , and get every last inch covered.

- Watch for the corners , as this stuff will give you a nasty papercut
:icon996:

eldogg
08-06-2005, 05:34 AM
i've had great luck using a fiberglass roller instead of that little thing that dynamat sells. i got mine at www.westmarine.com and it was cheap maybe $15.00. i also like to use laquer thinner to clean with and heat it up real good. LISTEN to proteal55 the stuff will cut you up bad if your not careful.
eldogg

MoeBawlz
08-06-2005, 02:52 PM
ive done a lot of dynamat work and definately watch those corners... I like the little roller only cus you can get into smaller areas better. If you arent planning on covering EVERYTHING then just go over all the large areas where there arent welded seams. places where vibration is a real problem.

where your tail lights bolt up to the body, you may want to stick some on the back of the light assembly. Also you may want to cut a small peice out for the back of your liscence plate. You may want to dynamat the inside of the door, on the door skin itself. as well as the outside of the cage underneath the interior skin.

pretty much cover EVERYTHING if you have enough, if not get the important areas, firewall, floor, wheel wells, trunk, trunk lid

powermetal
08-11-2005, 09:52 PM
It took me about 5 minutes to nearly loose a finger. The rest of the time I wore gloves. The roller will not only save time, but also make sure you get the best adhesion between the Dynamat and your car.

I used sheets of paper to make patterns and then transferred it to the Dynamat with a Sharpie pen. I cut it with a razor blade. My scissors kept building up the black stuff from the Dynamat and not cutting.

I started with the hardest part first, which was putting it on the underside of the dash and down the firewall. Get yourself some quilts or blankets to lay on so your back won't hurt. I went all the way from the dash to the package shelf and used about 2 and a half boxes of Dynamat. I got mine on eBay for $99 a box. It was $250 at the local stereo shop.

I don't know what kind of car you have, but my Camaro has dual mufflers in front of the rear end and they really heat up the floor. I also put Dynamat Tac Mat over this area and the driveshaft tunnel to combat the heat.

73z-6sp
08-11-2005, 10:27 PM
I just put some of this:
http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?cid=10&pid=25&cur=USD
in my 280Z. I have the back half of the car done. Still need to pull the seats and carpeting to finish but so far it is definitely making a difference in how quiet it is on the road. It is super easy to cut and work with. I didnt get one cut from it. And I think this stuff will stick to about anything! Except oils/etc. of course. I'm not bad mouthing the other products as I have not used anything else.

Jagarang
08-12-2005, 04:09 AM
I just don't have any experience with doing this but doesn't it make sense to wor,k from the center of each piece out to the edges, as you go with the roller?

Wildthing
08-12-2005, 05:16 AM
I don't know what kind of car you have, but my Camaro has dual mufflers in front of the rear end and they really heat up the floor. I also put Dynamat Tac Mat over this area and the driveshaft tunnel to combat the heat.

Being from Texas, how effective is the Dynamat at keeping heat out? I am more concerned with helping my AC cool than sound deadening...

mdprovee
08-12-2005, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the help... I am going to start doing it next week.

Mike

Tom Welch
08-12-2005, 07:17 AM
Wildthing,
dynamat is not designed to block or absorb heat. It is for vibration damping. A thermal/acoustic foam will stop heat, several heat shield products advertise this capability but beware the marketing hype. To really block heat well, you will need something between the heat and you, dynamat wont do this very well or very long if the temps are high enough. 300 degrees or thereabout. Ceramic heat pads work the best but are expensive.

rockdogz
08-12-2005, 09:49 AM
Wildthing,
dynamat is not designed to block or absorb heat.

Hmm, check the Dynamat website - they definitely market it to keep heat out of the passenger compartment. I think it will definitely have an effect on temperature, but maybe not as much as the other products you recommend.

I'm surprised to hear about people getting cut on Dynamat - I never had a problem with this when I installed it on my car...

ProTeal55
08-12-2005, 11:11 AM
I actually got another deep Dynamat cut last night while doing the inside of my 55's Dash.

You think I would learn to wear gloves by now :injured:

powermetal
08-29-2005, 09:52 AM
Hey Wildthing-

This is my first classic car with air conditioning, so I don't have a lot to compare it to. I will say that the car is very quiet and comfortable inside with Dynamat Xtreme all around. I am getting a draft from under the rear seat which is letting hot air in, but besides that it stays very cool in the car. I just can't figure out where that air is coming from!

And I think Dynamat does claim that Xtreme does block heat since it has a metal surface on it (which is what gives you those nasty cuts).

Steve