PDA

View Full Version : 12 bolt for street and track use 461ci stroker 68 firebird questions.

lucky13firebird
11-19-2012, 01:41 PM
hi, I just bought a 12bolt complete out of a 1965 chevelle. It has 3.31 factory gears in good shape and seams to be ok. I was planning on welding in spring perches for my 1968 firebird and filling it with oil and just driving it for now. I also want to swap to LS1 disc brakes to match my front Ls1 brakes and put a posi unit into this rear end.

I want to keep it with the stock 3.31 gears from the chevelle but upgrade to a posi. I have 3.90's in the current 10 bolt and hate life with them. So this 12bolt thats replacing it is deffinately getting the 3.31 or milder gears. Can I bolt the old ring gear to a posi carrier assy and just put it in? or do I have to get a complete set of gears and bearings and so forth and rebuild the housing. I'm really tight on money and would like to be able to get some miles out of my 12 bolt purchase and replace things as they wear out. instead of doing the rich-boy thing and just blanket purchasing everything as a whole.

Also, I am really interested in eliminating my C-clips, just like the Pontiac 10 bolt and ford 9" do. But still use the factory LS1 brake setup. The first gen firebird being lighter than the 98 camaro makes theses brakes very attractive to me in performance and ability to get pads at any autozone/advance auto/o'riellys and so on.... the fronts work great, so I was just gonna swap to a corvette non-powered master cyl and swap to ls1 brakes on the back also.

the question is, who has done this and what parts did they use?

thanks.

Hammons69
11-19-2012, 03:23 PM
posi unit will bolt right up to the ring gear and usually with no spacer changes.