PDA

View Full Version : Setting up new gears

Phillip_L
08-04-2005, 09:10 AM
Hello,

This is the second set of gear that I have ever setup. I had a freind help me with the first set and those worked great. I had the same freind help me with this set. We have been slowly moving the pinion farther away to improve the pattern.

Here is where I am at so far:
Pinion Shim: .16
B/L: .06 (.06-.10 Range from gear company)

Please look at the picture and give me your opinion. The "coast side" looks good to me. I do not like the shape of the pattern on the back side (I have head this side is more important). From the sample pictures, I think the pinion is too far away.

Thanks.

Phillip

MrQuick
08-04-2005, 09:24 AM
I had a similar pattern on a 9.25 mopar diff, an increased BL to .08 should do it...It looks like your pin depth is ok...this monitor sucks for close details.

1971ssls1
08-04-2005, 09:25 AM
on the gears i put in my car, the measurments were stamped into the ring and pinion, if you have a measuring tool, you just set it up to those specs, those numbers are what the manufacturer had them set at to work fine. The numbers are always different though on each set of gears.

makoshark
08-04-2005, 12:50 PM
Your ring gear looks too far away from your pinion. Looks like you need to add a shim to your right side and pull one out of your left side maybe

chicane67
08-04-2005, 07:06 PM
I'll second Mako.......

You need to open up lash to around 0.010" and throw about 0.002" more depth into it.

Coast looks teets.... so if you add pin depth and ofset the increased depth with an increase in lash, it should offset any big changes to coast.

diffdude
08-09-2005, 08:33 PM
The depth is off. You need to add about .010 to the pinion. Set the lash at .008 to .010

Good luck.
Erik
West coast differentials

4mul8ion
08-10-2005, 03:47 PM
I agree with diffdude. The pattern looks .008 - .010 high to me too. You can tell by how the pattern is knifing off of the top of the tooth. You'll want to lower the pattern (into the root of the tooth) by about that amount.

I see that you've successfully set up an axle before but since I'm not sure what type of axle this is, I have to be generic and wordy. Sorry in advance if this is too basic.

To lower the pattern, you want to move the pinion closer to the ring gear centerline. Your .16 (.016"?) pinion shim call out has got me confused. Are you building a Ford 9" or similar where there is an external shim between the axle housing and the pinion sub assembly? If so, to lower the pattern you'll need to decrease the thickness of the external shim so that the pinion moves closer to the ring gear centerline. Try an .006 or .008 shim. If you're building a GM or Chrysler axle where there is an internal shim (pressed between the pinion head and large bearing) you'll need to increase the thickness of the shim to get the pinion closer to the ring gear centerline. Try a .024 or .026 pinion shim.

Hope this helps.

Kevin
1970 Pontiac Formula