PDA

View Full Version : Mini tub question on my budget build

brownz
11-15-2012, 05:29 PM
I have a 72 Nova that Im doing a budget build on until I have the time to take the car down to a bare shell. Im saving for some VWW v-40 wheels that I have wanted for a long time. The car to be done right when I do refinish it will need both quarters inner and outter wheel wells and trunk drop offs. So my question is should I order wheels for a mini tubs setup and just peice some tubs together and get them to work until I redo the car or should I just order the wheels to work with stock tubs and get new wheels down the road? I would like to buy the DSE tubs when Im ready to replace all of it and dont want to spend the money on them right now. Any thoughts???

Thanks

Jim Nilsen
11-15-2012, 05:49 PM
Hi Brandon, How is it going? Definately get the right wheels the 1st time and if you do it right piecing the wheelwells together you won't need to do anything later. Just take you time on the wheelwells and you can make some real nice ones. Get Ron Forniers how to work with sheetmetal book and make a plywood template and make your own. It is more time consuming but it will come out nice.
If they don't match up to your expectations you can change them later.

Good luck with it all and I still keep driving the heck out of the wheels.

Bill Howell
11-15-2012, 05:54 PM
It depends on time and money. The DSE tubs that will fit the first time, be structural and look right are hard to beat. In the grand scheme of a complete build, they are not that much money either.

Rick D
11-15-2012, 06:01 PM
I would put the tubs in now, and buy your wheels once. If you need extra cash you could sell me your 65 Nova wagon???? LoL!

Bad94
11-15-2012, 06:04 PM
Does the car need a trunk pan? Rails? and main floor under the rear seat?

You could mini tub it now and then when you redo the car, leave the tubs in and just replace the outer wheel house and quarters. It will take longer but it can be done.

brownz
11-15-2012, 06:14 PM
Hi Brandon, How is it going? Definately get the right wheels the 1st time and if you do it right piecing the wheelwells together you won't need to do anything later. Just take you time on the wheelwells and you can make some real nice ones. Get Ron Forniers how to work with sheetmetal book and make a plywood template and make your own. It is more time consuming but it will come out nice.
If they don't match up to your expectations you can change them later.

Good luck with it all and I still keep driving the heck out of the wheels.

Jim glad to hear the wheels are getting some good use. I will have to look into that book

I would put the tubs in now, and buy your wheels once. If you need extra cash you could sell me your 65 Nova wagon???? LoL!

HAHA I will keep you in mind but dont hold your breath

Does the car need a trunk pan? Rails? and main floor under the rear seat?

You could mini tub it now and then when you redo the car, leave the tubs in and just replace the outer wheel house and quarters. It will take longer but it can be done.

I will prob replace the trunk when I do the car but the rails and under the rear seat are in good shape. Jut not sure if it will be worth it all. I would hate to weld in tubs around rust but on the other hand I would get rid of some doing it lol

Bad94
11-15-2012, 06:44 PM
I would just leave the car the way it is and run a 275 on a 9.5 on the front and the rear.

brownz
11-15-2012, 06:54 PM
Dan,

Thats what I leaning towards. I would really like to do the tru-turn just dont have the funds for it and not sure if I will before I get the wheels. Im thinking 245 front 275 rear and just run with that. I will be taking my front wheels off the Camaro back to Forgeline in a couple months to make them 18*9.5 with 6in bs and 275/35 and then I will then test fit those on the rear of the nova.

astroracer
11-16-2012, 04:07 AM
Hey Brandon,
Don't settle for something if that's not what you see in your head... You will not be happy.
I used the stock wheel tubs when I did the van. Just added some 18ga sheet to them to get them taller and wider.
Check out this page of my build, most of the fab work is documented here. Scroll down a bit to get past some other stuff:
https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?20086-The-BAD-AST-Project-Faze-II/page21&highlight=bad+ast
Mark

MrQuick
11-16-2012, 11:25 AM
just chop down the center and add a strip down the center. like we use to do back in the old days.

Bad94
11-17-2012, 12:14 PM
Dan,

Thats what I leaning towards. I would really like to do the tru-turn just dont have the funds for it and not sure if I will before I get the wheels. Im thinking 245 front 275 rear and just run with that. I will be taking my front wheels off the Camaro back to Forgeline in a couple months to make them 18*9.5 with 6in bs and 275/35 and then I will then test fit those on the rear of the nova.

I have a tru turn in stock if you are interested.

srh3trinity
11-18-2012, 12:08 PM
I am probably going to move my stockers over to the frame rail and add some metal in between. I know the DSE tubs are nice, but I don't need room for 335s, but would like the option to tuck 305-315s on my firebird. The metal guy I talked to said he would charge the same to do either new tubs or modify my stock tubs.

brownz
11-18-2012, 01:43 PM
Yeah I will just chop the stock tubs up for now and install the DSE tubs when I refinsish the car. I wont have the extra funds for the tubs right now.