PDA

View Full Version : Boost Controler controlled by vehicle speed?

JMarsa
08-04-2005, 06:17 AM
I don't know alot about turbo electronics (trying to learn though). Is it possible to piggyback an electronic boost controller to another engine/trans controller (like the TCI trans controller) to control boost relative to vehicle speed? This would act like a traction control and increase boost as vehicle speed increases.

Thanks,

--JMarsa

Steve Chryssos
08-05-2005, 04:17 AM
I don't know about boost controllers either. CamcoJB is the guy with the know-how.
I do know that the PCS transmission controller ( http://www.transmissioncontroller.com ) allows you to input two separate engine load sensors: TPS and MAP. So you can "trim" or fine tune your transmission map based on boost or the lack thereof. One input will serve as a primary and the other is trim. The guys at PCS are pretty sharp, so they may be able to answer your question.

Could be that you can use combined MAP and driven wheel speed to accomplish your goal, but wheel speed alone may not be enough since since the data is erroneous during wheel spin. So it's best to compare wheel speed to engine load.
/Steevo

JMarsa
08-05-2005, 05:16 AM
Thanks for the info Steve. I like your approach. Maybe "CamcoJB" will chime in, I think "427" might have a thing or two to offer as well. I did find out that the Blitz "SBC i-D" boost controller along with thier "Power Meter i-D" will do the job. I'm also told there might be another company out there that has the feature as well. Of course I can't expect a fool proof system that will work in all conditions, but it seems a good approach. I like the idea of limiting the drivetrain shock off the line, maintaining traction and full boost after a set mph.

--JMarsa

camcojb
08-05-2005, 06:48 AM
I have an Apex boost controller that can control boost by rpm and gear. Pretty cool because you can literally leave the line with no boost if you wanted and ramp up to say 3-4 psi at the end of first gear, then ramp again in the next gear and so on, whatever the tires can hold. Infinitely programmable it would work like traction control, plus it learns what gear you're in with vss inputs and rpm so that every gear can have a different boost map, and it gives you the right amount because it knows which gear you're in at all times.

I will not be using it though. I just bought a RaceLogic traction control system and am going to use that instead. I also have a boost controller in my BS3 and to use the Apex unit is redundant.

Jody

Chevy454
08-05-2005, 07:28 AM
I have an Apex boost controller that can control boost by rpm and gear. Pretty cool because you can literally leave the line with no boost if you wanted and ramp up to say 3-4 psi at the end of first gear, then ramp again in the next gear and so on, whatever the tires can hold.
Mmmm...me likey! Sounds like just the ticket for a certain Vega...what kinda price tag we lookin' at?

JMarsa
08-05-2005, 07:38 AM
To make sure I fully understand you...The Big Stuff 3 controller cannot control boost as a function of speed or gear/rpm right? Would you mind telling me the model of Apex controller you have so that I can research it? Also, would you mind sharing more info about the RaceLogic traction control and how it functions?

Thanks,

--JMarsa

Supra510
08-06-2005, 03:12 PM
Also, would you mind sharing more info about the RaceLogic traction control and how it functions?

In brief it functions by interrupting the signal to the fuel injectors when it senses wheelspin from the wheel speed sensors.

More:

http://www.racelogic.co.uk/?show=Traction_Control

Anthony
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/674663

Steve Chryssos
08-07-2005, 05:32 AM
This is a HOT topic. All the rodders who are complaining about "too much" HP will soon learn that the big power CAN be harnessed.

And what comes after electronic traction control? Electronic launch control! Now if I could just get my hands on a McLaren Mercedes SLR. Push a button, mat the go pedal and hang on! (Make sure you are cleared for take-off)

camcojb
08-07-2005, 06:39 AM
This is a HOT topic. All the rodders who are complaining about "too much" HP will soon learn that the big power CAN be harnessed.

And what comes after electronic traction control? Electronic launch control! Now if I could just get my hands on a McLaren Mercedes SLR. Push a button, mat the go pedal and hang on! (Make sure you are cleared for take-off)

I agree and that's why I'm using it. I figure with a good traction control like the Race Logic (much smoother than most the obtrusive factory type units) and your Shrifter I'll have a car that's fast, fun to drive, and can be driven hard without peddling all the time.

Jody

Blown353
08-07-2005, 09:59 AM
And what comes after electronic traction control? Electronic launch control!

Funny you should mention that-- the RaceLogic unit DOES have adjustable launch control... wet and dry settings. You can set launch RPM, spin limits, and at what time the system switches from launch control back to traction control.

It has "flat-foot shifting" built in too-- i.e. with a clutch switch hooked up, the engine falls back against a secondary adjustable rev limiter when the clutch is depressed, even while the throttle is wide open. (i.e. you put the clutch in and the system switches over to say a 4500 rpm rev limiter until you let the clutch back out.) The only problem I see with that system is high-RPM downshifting, as the lower RPM rev-limiter with the clutch depressed may prevent you from properly rev-matching a high speed downshift.

Way cool system. Can't wait until Jody's car is done so I can see how it works.