PDA

View Full Version : Any Metal bumpers out there that can provide some advice

XLexusTech
11-14-2012, 07:11 AM
I am going to attempt to pop out this dent.. Fender is off the car. I have no experiace with this but want to give it a shot. I read the Metal bumpers book
http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/martin-key-to-metal-bumping-instructional-book-p-13673.aspx
a few times...

any help appreciated.674876748867489

Rick D
11-14-2012, 08:06 AM
A good hammer and Doly and small tip on you touch and you should be good to go. Because of how far in the dent goes the metal is stretched so you will need to shrink the metal. A shrinking hammer will help with this. As the metal comes out it will start to "pop can" move in and out real easy like a pop can, on those weak spots is where you will need to the shrinking hammer and some heat from the touch. Just a small amount of heat is needed and then with your hammer and doly tap the dent out and flat, keep a cold rag watered down to cool the metal so it tightens back up after you finish taping the area around.

Sometimes if the dent is really bad I will just cut out the metal and either straighten it then weld it back in or just replace the cut out metal altogether. This will take the stretched metal deal out of the equation. Once you have straight it will be larger then when you cut it out so you will have to trim it some to fit it back in.

I really never try to use the aftermarket fenders, I just cut them up and use what I need, works much better for keeping the body lines correct. Also if you have a bigger area to cut out and replace it helps to have it bolted to the car to keep it from moving around or possibly losing its shape.

Hope this helps!

XLexusTech
11-14-2012, 08:38 AM
Rick.. thanks... do I Shrink first from the outside radius in? I have a shrinking hammer.

Rick D
11-14-2012, 09:02 AM
Rick.. thanks... do I Shrink first from the outside radius in? I have a shrinking hammer.

Yes work your way in, other wise it will just pop out and be a big bubble mess. And then you will chase it trying to shrink it but never get it back to the shape you want.