PDA

View Full Version : 4 Wheel Disc Brake Setup for 68 Olds 442

Wingviper
11-10-2012, 11:16 PM
Hey guys, new to the forum, new to pro-touring, looking for some advice before I drop a bunch of money on mods and I heard this was the place. So right off the bat, thank you guys for the help.

Now, to the question. I am building a 68 Olds 442. Its gonna see the road mostly but I have been wanting to go and try this autox stuff cause it looks like fun, but I haven't had anything near a car to do it (Daily driver is a 04 Dodge Ram brick). I was going to upgrade the 4 wheel drum to a 4 wheel disc setup but I am not sure what brand or type to buy. I am on a "relative" budget on this, I am no Chip Foose. Building this thing mostly by myself in my garage with some very kind friends to guide me. I had looked at a CPP 4 wheel disc brake conversion but the gist I am getting is that will not stand up to autox at ALL. Guys are talkin about these AFX spindles to put C5 Vette brakes on, etc. Then you have the big names like Wilwood and Baer. What would you guys recommend? Like I said, its not a dedicated track car but I want it to be safe and still perform. Any other stats you request I will be glad to give them if I can. I am currently deployed so its tough to get measurements. Thanks!

analyte
11-11-2012, 09:41 AM
You need to check out the C5/C6 brakes at Kore3.com, and then give Tobin a call to discuss your best options based on your budget. The AFX spindles are extremely nice pieces, but they aren't required to run the Corvette brakes due to brackets available at Kore3 that adapt them to your existing spindles. You may also want to look at new upper control arms (SC&C, Speedtech, etc.) at the same time if AutoX is in your future so that you take advantage of the geometry improvements along with the 4 wheel discs.

Kerry

79-TA
11-14-2012, 06:49 PM
lt sounds like you read the CPP C5/C6 steering knuckle threads on this site. I've never heard of anything wrong with CPP brakes and autocrossing is probably the most gentle form of motorsport that you can subject your car to.

(People did talk about longevity problems with original C5 hub/bearing assemblies seeing track use and how generics would be no better than the originals. C6 hub/bearing assemblies, which also fit, are much stronger and can take track day abuse more readily.)

Any conversion to all disc, or even just front disc, is going to make a huge difference in braking feel and predictability. You don't need huge brakes to brake well, especially not for autocrossing . . . but you do want discs of some kind. I'd suggest getting a 4 wheel kit that comes biased correctly for your application. Make sure the calipers you buy have a good selection of pads available for them. Calipers that use a common pad will give you more options so you can choose from Hawk, EBC, or whatever other street/track pad manufacturers.