PDA

View Full Version : new CA smog law=mind blown, good for us 75 and later model guys and ls swaps :)

formula350
11-10-2012, 02:19 PM
AB 2289 - New Smog Check Law

Set to begin January 01, 2013; Model year 2000 and newer vehicles will no longer require the tailpipe emissions test portion of the smog check process. AB 2289 will require late model vehicles be administered the smog check's visual and functional tests only.

The implementation of AB 2289 is expected to reduce the time and cost of the smog check. The program will now take better advantage of a vehicle's OBD II technology by eliminating tailpipe testing and instead using the vehicle's own OBD II emissions monitoring system.

This new smog test system is already in place in 22 other states. "This new and improved program will have the same result as taking 800,000 old cars off the road, also resulting in a more cost effective program for California motorists." said ARB Chairman, Mary D. Nichols.

Currently California's smog check procedure requires all vehicles undergo a tailpipe emissions inspection to measure harmful pollutant output from the tailpipe, a visual inspection for present and properly installed emissions components, a functional test to insure the proper operation of various emission components; and as part of the functional test, an OBD II computer diagnostic check.

Under AB 2289, the tailpipe emissions portion of the smog inspection will be eliminated for 2000 model and newer cars, trucks, vans, and SUVs.

Background on the OBD II system - All vehicles imported into the United States as of 1996 have had to be equipped with an On Board Diagnostics system referred to as OBD II. The OBD II diagnostic system is designed to monitor all aspects of your engine's emission conditions and report this information to a central database within it's computer. This information is processed and checked against the computers pre-determined values for various input levels and performance patterns.

If any problems are found, the computer will determine whether to alert the driver or not. If a decision has been made to alert the driver of an emissions problem, the "Check Engine" or "Engine Malfunction" light will illuminate on the vehicle's dashboard. In more serious emission conditions the computer may even begin to rapidly flash the "Check Engine/Malfunction" light indicating to the driver, that the vehicle needs immediate diagnosis/repair attention.

AB 2289 now requires the smog test inspection to rely on data from a vehicle's own on board emissions computer to determine the vehicle's harmful emissions production as opposed to using a smog machine to sample the vehicle's emissions output from the tailpipe. This design is expected to reduce the cost of equipment at the smog station, reduce the amount of time it takes to smog check a vehicle, and reduce the cost of the smog inspection to the consumer.

AB 2289 - Makes changes to the following smog inspection procedures and guidelines:

A. Authorize the use of On Board Diagnostic II testing to expedite the process.

B. Vehicles known to release large amounts of pollution must test at stations with the highest performance ratings.

C. Stricter fines structure for improper inspections.

D. Permit the state to contract with the private sector to manage franchise-like networks of independently owned Smog Check stations.

E. Encourage community colleges and other training institutions to develop technician-training programs.

WS6
11-10-2012, 07:53 PM
The Atlanta area does testing this way for all OBD2 vehicles. OBD1 has to pass a sniffer. What's so great about it, in ATL anyway, is that you can have a modified car and so long as it throws no codes, you're good. You have to pass a visual inspection as well but high performance cats are common place now-a-days.

MrQuick
11-10-2012, 10:44 PM
The bottom line is they are trying to kill old cars older than 2000 and encourage owners to buy newer fuel efficient and almost zero polluting vehicles.

absintheisfun
11-11-2012, 04:52 AM
Obd2 came out in 96...in TX, we only smog vehicles made between 88 and 95. Older than 88 and they are exempt from emissions.

formula350
11-11-2012, 07:07 AM
California has very strict emmisions standards, all cars 75 and newer have to pass a tail-pipe, visual, and have no check engine light.
It makes it very hard to modify an engine and have it pass the sniffer test. So now, you won't have to unless you vehicle is 2000 or older. Obd2 did come out in 96, but it was still a baby Obd compared to todays.

how this would effect me and other guys that have smog legal ls swaps?
When we do the swap we have to have it inspected by a cali BAR refferee.
After you pass inspection the new smog standard for your car is based on the newer vehicle the engine came out of.
So if you have a 2000 and newer doner car. No tailpipe, you can pull a lot more hp and still be smog legal.
It used to be difficult to do that and pass the sniffer, but with no sniffer, you could stroke it and pass as long as their is no check engine light.

T_Raven
11-11-2012, 07:17 AM
"This new and improved program will have the same result as taking 800,000 old cars off the road,

Anyone know what they mean by this?

formula350
11-11-2012, 07:30 AM
Cars between 75 and 2000 will still be smoged and cost more to fix, be smoged, and pass smog. So they are encouraging people to get newer cars. If you have a car in these years, I do, I have two. They just have to be performing top notch and they will be fine. It will just get rid of a lot of pos cars that take more money than they are worth to fix and drive

MrQuick
11-11-2012, 08:21 AM
Exactly, those mid 80' early FI smokers you see rolling down the road. Same as removing 80k cars means if the are stricter on the proposed cars making them as clean as they are supposed to be is the same as removing that many clean producing cars from the road. Example, the average emissions from 1 dirty car can equal 25 clean ones. Just a throw out number from me. I'm sure they have a calculation.

T_Raven
11-12-2012, 08:03 AM
Cars between 75 and 2000 will still be smoged and cost more to fix, be smoged, and pass smog. So they are encouraging people to get newer cars. If you have a car in these years, I do, I have two. They just have to be performing top notch and they will be fine. It will just get rid of a lot of pos cars that take more money than they are worth to fix and drive 75-00 cars will still have the same requirements as the past right? meaning it won't cost anymore than before to keep them on the road. If inspections on 00 up cars will now be cheaper than before, I guess I can see some incentive for people to upgrade to something newer, but even though the tail pipe test is gone emissions equipment still has to be there and be functioning.

It's a good move, I just think their logic is a little flawed thinking it will cause people to sell 80s and 90s cars to upgrade.

formula350
11-12-2012, 09:00 AM
Ya I never saw anything like this coming I was shocked, I think it will be harder to pass 76-99 cars though but we will just have to wait and see

qnitro
11-12-2012, 09:11 AM
I think its 1976 and Up... 75 below need no smog.. I just registered my 75 and it isn't required.. I asked

blakes72x
11-12-2012, 09:35 AM
The Atlanta area does testing this way for all OBD2 vehicles. OBD1 has to pass a sniffer. What's so great about it, in ATL anyway, is that you can have a modified car and so long as it throws no codes, you're good. You have to pass a visual inspection as well but high performance cats are common place now-a-days.

wish i had my old t/a i had in georgia out here now lol it had zero smog equipment as well as gutted cats lol but the computer thought it was all fine and dandy i did fail smog once cause my cigarette lighter fuse was blown....apparantly it powers the diagnostics port lol

formula350
11-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Thats good to know lolll

TheJDMan
11-12-2012, 03:30 PM
I'm curious, if you have say a 1st gen and you install a late model (2000 or newer) LS how does the state of CA know? Do you have to report the engine swap to the state? If you do not report the swap how would the state ever find out? When you do an LS upgrade do you have to also install the OBD II port?

mpozzi
11-12-2012, 05:45 PM
They don't and most people aren't gonna tell on themselves. Most of these swaps have better emissions when they're done right then before.

Mary Pozzi

formula350
11-12-2012, 07:11 PM
Ya I don't see why they make it so hard if the emissions are better after the swap. And pre-smog cars you can do anything to. I don't think it matters at all, correct me if I'm wrong. I know that their are parts like exhaust cutouts you can have though.

As far as the Obdll port goes, pre smog no.
Unless you have a carb on to you still need the ecu. But hey why not have the port if something isn't running at top you get pointed in the right direction.

But if you do have smog you need that and you have to have to add a Check engine light to the dash.

SLO_Z28
11-13-2012, 06:37 AM
Being inspection exempt (75 and earlier in CA) does not make you emissions exempt. You can still be cited for the vehicle code for emissions violations in an inspection exempt vehicle. You can legally swap engines with a later model engine from the same car, but you have to pass emissions standards for the car you swapped too. You inform the BAR inspector of the swap, he does an inspection and certifies the swap and issues a little plate. You do need a OBD2 diagnostic port, but you'd be stupid to not have one on any car that is still fuel injected anyways.

The way I understand this new law is you have to have all MIL's run except for one, you have to pass a visual inspection still, and then they scan your ECM. The thing that has not been made clear, even to the people that work for the BAR, is whether or not the ECM software will be scanned as well and checked for compliance as a 'factory tune', and whether this will affect custom flashes?

formula350
11-13-2012, 07:27 AM
CA is adopting it from other states and I havent heard of anyone running into a problem with an Obd scan other that not waiting long enough for the monitors to reset after clearing a code.

I actually talked to someone from BAR a couple days ago.
I was asking how rear end gearing would effect the tailpipe test. That's how I found out about this. He said that engines in proper tune have an algorithm that if disrupted will set a check engine light. He said if I had a wheel speed sensor then it would set a light if the gearing was wrong. He also said we bacicly are just looking for the check engine light. So if your car is in proper tune and even if the ecu is flashed as long as the pattern(algorithm) is working, you should be good. Thats what I understood about the coversation.

I also told him I wanted to build my rearend to a 3:73 posi(10 bolt) and he told me to get another one because ill twist it up lol

T_Raven
11-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Ya I never saw anything like this coming I was shocked, I think it will be harder to pass 76-99 cars though but we will just have to wait and see

I actually read about this quite a while back though at the time they weren't saying when it would go into effect.

I don't see how this affects 76-99 cars though. It sounds like they still have the same requirements as before.

Ya I don't see why they make it so hard if the emissions are better after the swap. And pre-smog cars you can do anything to. I don't think it matters at all, correct me if I'm wrong. I know that their are parts like exhaust cutouts you can have though.

As far as the Obdll port goes, pre smog no.
Unless you have a carb on to you still need the ecu. But hey why not have the port if something isn't running at top you get pointed in the right direction.

But if you do have smog you need that and you have to have to add a Check engine light to the dash.

Federal law says you can't remove emissions equipment. If a state doesn't inspect certain cars, you can get away with it, but it's still against federal law.

I wish we could get the federal law changed to allow say a rolling 30 year period of cars that need to meet requirements and anything older is exempt. The vast majority of tail pipe emissions is from fairly new cars.