PDA

View Full Version : Transmission cooler mount: Under-car or Radiator?

juggernaut
11-09-2012, 01:18 PM
I'm trying to decide where to mount my cooler. Previously, I've had overheating problems so, I''m thinking it would good idea to mount it behind the differential and get the trans heat out of the engine cooling. Now, after mocking up brackets with the exhaust piping. I'm questioning if the heat load from the exhaust will overheat the transmission and melt the plastic fan. Anyone have any experience trying to rear mount a cooler? should I ditch this idea and mount it in front of the radiator? 6739567396

Thanks, Landon

astroracer
11-09-2012, 06:27 PM
If you put it in the back what will you run for lines? Make sure your wiring is up to par also for the long draw.
I see no reason to not put it up front. Don't set the trans cooler right on the radiator, set it in front of the radiator and leave a space of 1 to 1 1/2 inches between them. This will leave enough space to divorce the trans cooler heat from the engine radiator and air can flow around the trans cooler so the radiator isn't totally blocked.
Mark

SparkyRnD
11-11-2012, 07:04 PM
I would put it up front, but if you have space to either side of the radiator, that might be a better choice for location.

juggernaut
11-12-2012, 04:47 AM
Thanks for the replies, I'm going to play around with up front mounting options. The juice may not be worth the squeeze on the rear mount.

I've been making my own fuel and brake lines out of stainless steel tubing. I'm planning to use 3/8" for the trans cooler lines.

sam 74
11-12-2012, 06:53 PM
i'd put it up front, i have mine mounted about 3 inches n front of the radiator, if mounted low in the rear i'd worry about something popping off the ground and hitting the cooler and causeing a leak.