PDA

View Full Version : fuel safe fuel cell basket tech question

protour_chevelle
11-08-2012, 07:23 AM
Is there any notes in the tech books for material used for a fuel safe basket??

I assume 1" square tubing, but not sure on wall thickness they would like?

Thanks!

exwestracer
11-08-2012, 03:58 PM
Is there any notes in the tech books for material used for a fuel safe basket??

I assume 1" square tubing, but not sure on wall thickness they would like?

Thanks!

I usually build a support that bolts under the front and rear flanges of the can and use longer bolts through the flanges. I use 1X1 .065 chrome moly or .095 mild steel. If you're dealing with a rule book for a certain sanction; don't guess, find out for sure!

protour_chevelle
11-09-2012, 05:18 AM
Agreed, I just do not have a tech book, its just one of those things where I'm adding a fuel safe cell to the car and would like it to be following a sanctioning rule incase I ever decide to bring the rest of the car up to snuff rather then re-doing things.

exwestracer
11-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Agreed, I just do not have a tech book, its just one of those things where I'm adding a fuel safe cell to the car and would like it to be following a sanctioning rule incase I ever decide to bring the rest of the car up to snuff rather then re-doing things.

Which sanctioning body? Drag racing? Drifting? Road racing? If you can narrow it down, you'll have a better chance at an answer. They all have different opinions on how the cell should be mounted.

protour_chevelle
11-13-2012, 05:09 AM
road racing specifcially, drag racing will be covered already as the cell is mounted half inside and half outside the car. The car has a rear firewall already, and the fuel safe cells have protection from the cell itself already.

hmm seems pretty simple for scca...
http://cms.scca.com/documents/2011%20Tech/2011%20GCR-printed%20version.pdf

exwestracer
11-14-2012, 01:00 PM
Sorry Matt... Not going clear through the GCR to find the cell mounting specs. Glad you got an idea of how to do it though.

protour_chevelle
11-15-2012, 05:19 AM
Sorry Matt... Not going clear through the GCR to find the cell mounting specs. Glad you got an idea of how to do it though.
I dont know why you are saying sorry? I posted a link to the GCR and found my answer...