PDA

View Full Version : replacing floor pans???

formula350
11-06-2012, 08:27 PM
I'm about to start replacing the for pans on my 2nd gen firebird , just wanted to ask how I should go about mounting it in such a way to prevent twisting and being able to easily access them. I planned on a rotisserie but found out that that cab twist the body. Suggestions?

67 455 Bird ragtop
11-07-2012, 09:20 AM
I've seen some folks weld in temp bracing to prevent twisting.

XLexusTech
11-07-2012, 11:18 AM
assuming one piece floor... and a coup.. you hould level it out an if you paranoid you can put bars in the door opening.. but from what i hear its no needed..
My car i did not brace when i put a 1 piece floor in.. and had no problems.

FlyDoc
11-07-2012, 11:56 AM
I have seen many different ways with varying results on all.
the way that I like, is with a "frame table" get the body alignment specs. secure the body to the table with turn buckles that have threaded rod of 1/2"-3/4" and some inner body supports that are adjustable take lots of measurements, wright them on the body and on a diagram, and take lots of pick's. have fun cutting and replacing. spend lots of time with the tape measure, during remove, and install. figure it will take about 40-80 man hours, so if your doing at home it will take a month or two.
and in the end you will have great results.

have fun!!!

formula350
11-07-2012, 01:12 PM
It is a coupe, and I can't find a one piece floor for the year its a 78, their are pass and driver side pans that go front to back. So what ill have to do it is one side at a time and leave the trans tunnel mostly intact, their are a couple parts that need some patching but not to bad.

But as far as the frame table goes,
Where would I have the supports to the body?

I can't use the pinch where the floor and rocker meet, because that's what's being replaced. The worst part of the rust is in the pass side front area wear the subframe mounts so and needs to be fixed so I can't so it with the sub holding it up either.

formula350
11-07-2012, 01:13 PM
And yes I will have fun! Lol

formula350
11-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Do you think bracing the inside and using a rotisserie would be ok it would be a Hell of a lot easier to work on lol

72blackbird
11-07-2012, 05:46 PM
I have a 75 Formula 400 that needs full floorpan replacement- welding bracing inside the shell will help keep it from twisting, and allow you to mount it on a rotisserie to replace the floorpans more easily. In most cases the trans/drivetrain tunnel is still solid, so why cut it out when it's still good? You should cut out and weld in the full-length LH and RH floorpans one side at a time anyways, which will minimize body twisting.

Geno

formula350
11-07-2012, 09:31 PM
Their is a crack in the trans tunnel lol seriously check out this pic. its in between the center counsel mounts and the shifter. That's what needs to be patched but im going to have to do some trans tunnel fab so I can mount a t56 my car was auto stock. And the engine will be mounted a little further back
But its th crack that worries though for sure lol