PDA

View Full Version : Audi A3 DSG Paddle Shift

Steve Chryssos
08-03-2005, 11:24 AM
Taking delivery on Friday of a 2006 Audi A3 Turbo Sport with a paddle shifted DSG transmission. This is a true manual gearbox with paddle shift. No clutch pedal at all. Floor shifter looks like an automatic with two gates. DSG feels and reacts just like a true manual gearbox with perfect, lightning quick shifts every time. It has two clutches with inner and outer input shafts--one connected to each clutch. The other end of each input shaft connects to either even or odd gears (1-3-5, 2-4-6). So while one clutch is in use (say 2nd gear), the computer keeps the other clutch ready and anticipates the next gear change (i.e. 1st or 3rd gear). Shifts occur in exactly .200 second every time. The computer also decides when to release both clutches for neutral. And there are two fully automatic modes: economy and sport. Sport holds revs longer on upshifts and and downshifts sooner. There is no jerking or shuddering at low speeds like the single disc systems common on the exotics.
The tubocharged four has direct injection and zero (I mean zero) turbo lag. Peak torque comes in at 1800rpm and stays flat through redline. At 5'11", I am amazed with the generous front legroom and headroom.
Fully loaded at $30K-$31K. I'll post some pix after the weekend.
/Steevo

Ralph LoGrasso
08-03-2005, 11:28 AM
Sounds like an awesome car!! Congrats!! What color did you get?

Steve Chryssos
08-03-2005, 11:41 AM
Ocean Blue--which is the same color that I plan to repaint my Camaro in its next life.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Here's a good link to DSG technology
http://www.audi.co.uk/experience/techdesign/dsg_technical.jsp

Ralph LoGrasso
08-03-2005, 11:50 AM
Very cool:

"Conventional manual gearboxes operate with just one clutch. To change gear, the driver steps on the clutch pedal and interrupts the power flow. This is a prerequisite because when changing gear a different pair of gears (ratios) is selected in the gearbox - and this cannot take place under load.

The DSG ® Direct-Shift Gearbox prevents this power interruption. In idealized terms, it offers the function of two manual gearboxes in one. Its technology though is combined in a single compact component.

Unlike conventional manual gearboxes, the Direct-Shift Gearbox has a two-part transmission shaft comprising an outer hollow shaft and an inner shaft. The inner transmission shaft serves the 1st , 3rd and 5th gears, the outer shaft is for gears 2, 4 and 6. A twin multi-plate clutch transfers engine power permanently to one of the two shafts.

When driving, one gear is always engaged and a second pre-selected. When the gearshift point is reached, one clutch segment opens in a flash while the other closes. The driver therefore hardly notices the gearshift process. This uninterrupted, efficient transfer of power enables particularly sporty driving."

I like the color, very cool blue! If you repaint the camaro, be sure to keep the strobe stripe!

69Nova
08-03-2005, 11:59 AM
Awsome car, are there any plans for this car like new wheels and some better brake pads.

Andrew Petty

Steve Chryssos
08-03-2005, 12:49 PM
Plans are to get it home and completely take it apart to see what makes it tick. Wouldn't THAT piss off the missus? No plans at the moment. Just gonna drive it and autocross it to expose the weaknesses.
I expect that brake pads are a possibility--so are stiffer springs. Then again, it has 45 series tires on 17's, so it will be nice to drive a car with some compliance for a change.

MrAngry
08-03-2005, 01:15 PM
Cool... when did they start importing A3's into the US?

YoungGun
08-03-2005, 01:19 PM
Thats cool...and I didnt know the A3 was here yet either! One of the first on the block eh!!!

I love blue cars with light sandstone leather interiors...Nice Choice.

Tim

Steve Chryssos
08-03-2005, 01:29 PM
Cool... when did they start importing A3's into the US?

When? Let's put it this way: Geico Insurance didn't have it in their quoting system yet. But there are four or five on the lot at Smithtown. The sales dude said that a "different" type of customer has been coming in lately. I guess we ruined the neighborhood.

:firefire:

Boyd
08-03-2005, 02:01 PM
street, how can we be sure you aren't the one that stole the red A3 that Audi has been airing all of the commercials for, and then painted it blue? COME ON, ADMIT IT! j/k Nice Ride!

Steve Chryssos
08-03-2005, 04:52 PM
I just do not get that commercial. But then again, I guess it worked on me.

jimhamptons
08-03-2005, 05:42 PM
Darn Steve, I am going to miss the sound of that Hemi pulling in and out of the office parking lot. Puts a smile on my face everytime I hear it.

Congrats on the new car.

MuscleRodz
08-03-2005, 06:16 PM
If only I didn't have 3 kids and 3 projects to feed, I might have been able to afford one of those new fandangled machines. Nice color choice. What kind of mpg is it suppose to get?

Mike

Ralph LoGrasso
08-03-2005, 06:22 PM
When? Let's put it this way: Geico Insurance didn't have it in their quoting system yet. But there are four or five on the lot at Smithtown. The sales dude said that a "different" type of customer has been coming in lately. I guess we ruined the neighborhood.

:firefire:

You bought the audi in my 'hood? Bring that sucker over when you get it. I'm practically on the way home :revto9k: J/k

Steve Chryssos
08-04-2005, 04:16 AM
If only I didn't have 3 kids and 3 projects to feed, I might have been able to afford one of those new fandangled machines. Nice color choice. What kind of mpg is it suppose to get?
Mike
24/30 The DSG manual get better mileage than the old-school manual since the revs never drop off between shifts. Go look, you'll be pleasantly surprised by the interior room.

Darn Steve, I am going to miss the sound of that Hemi pulling in and out of the office parking lot. Puts a smile on my face everytime I hear it.
Jim,
Let's hope the new owner likes the Bassani SS exhaust and Jet chip. I hope they're prepared for the first time they lay into the throttle.
Thanks
/Steevo

Steve1968LS2
08-04-2005, 08:17 AM
Very cool car...

I give you 6 months before you have it ripped apart in a effort to reverse engineer the whole deal ;)

If you repaint your Camaro blue I for one will slap you.. the paint with stutter you have now is one of the most unique and best looking on this site.. so drop that thought right now and buy another Camaro if you want a blue one!!

BAD6SPD
08-04-2005, 08:56 AM
Steve,

I have driven a Euro only Audi TT with the dual clutch MTA trans (DSG) here at work...I was by far one of the funniest cars I have been in here, the way the computer blips the throttle to match revs on downshift is just awesome, and the up/downshift quality is superb, very expensive trans....makes anyone feel like a professional race car driver...have fun with it, I guarantee you will!

Good call, cool car.

J.T.

Steve Chryssos
08-04-2005, 09:52 AM
Very cool car...

I give you 6 months before you have it ripped apart in a effort to reverse engineer the whole deal ;)

If you repaint your Camaro blue I for one will slap you.. the paint with stutter you have now is one of the most unique and best looking on this site.. so drop that thought right now and buy another Camaro if you want a blue one!!

Trust me. It will be cool.
/Steevo

(Thanks J.T.)

Jim Nilsen
08-04-2005, 09:59 PM
If that car has as much room in it as my Vibe and handles even 30% better you will fall in love wth it. I still can't get over how many different things I have been able to fit in my Vibe. I could carry a crate engine in it if I wanted. The handling is great for what it is and mileage keeps getting better as time goes on at 10k.

I just added more air to the tires of my Vibe and am at max pressure (44psi) at full temp and the ride got smoother and the performance better along with another 2mpg or more.

That is really a nice grocery getter and I bet you will be fighting with the wife to get it out of her hands to drive it.

Jim Nilsen