PDA

View Full Version : Car Scene in Korea?!?!

Bulletpruf
11-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Fellas -

Looks like the Army is sending me to Korea next summer. I will be stationed in Yongsan (Seoul). Anyone know anything about the local car scene?

Wondering if I should bring one of my cars - I've got a few projects, some that could be drivers by next summer. The Army will ship one vehicle, so I could have them transport it. Don't know if there are any emissions issues to deal with.

Can't imagine that the driving will be very nice; Seoul is huge, and I know traffic is lousy. Still need something to wrench on while I'm there, and I know the Army has an auto shop (lifts, tools, etc) that I can use while I'm there. Not likely that I'll have a house with a garage.

Also trying to figure out if there are any road race or drag race venues. I have one road race project and one street/strip car. I could also wait until I arrived to buy a musclecar of some sort, but thinking the choices will be limited.

Anyone know of any hot cars that I could get there that I couldn't get stateside? Skyline GTR, etc?

Thanks,

Scott

josht
11-08-2012, 06:08 PM
I was there about four years at USFK-H, no clue about the car scene. I would not bring any car, it is not Europe.

Do what every one else does is buy a beater, it will be a Hyundai or a Kia, a small/medium four door manual car. The cars are cheap, cheap to maintain and plentiful, unless you care about a dated interior.

There were a couple 80's, 90's imported GM/Ford/BMW cars that Soldiers did not take back with them, no true Japanese car's since Hyundai Kia are the local/country car manufacture(s).
They do have the re-branded Nissan Maxima 3rd gen S300? and 4th or 5th gen S5 (Renault/Samsung), same price so don't expect to find a new/used one at a bargain price given the dollar to won exchange rate.

driving is a sport/adventure/nightmare depending on the time of day/location. Traffic signals are a suggestion, especially locally, only obeyed when cameras are present.
Most places, off the street parking is a luxury, a few had non enclosed parking, on post is common/municipal parking for the most part.

getting parts is going to be an issue due to the limited non Korean vehicles, the mwr auto shop was small 6? bays vs the 26 at Fort Stewart
The Skyline in RHD, Japan or New Zealand, unless you want a super rare version on the Hyundai Tiberon, (Tusionni? SP) IE: V6, M6, Turbo for instance I can't think of anything that would be anywhere close to the same ballpark as a Skyline.

Public transportation is the norm, one of the contributing factors of the driving habits found over there.

Hope this helps, if you have questions about USFK-Y let me know

Josh

DartorDemon
11-08-2012, 06:52 PM
Fellas -

Looks like the Army is sending me to Korea next summer. I will be stationed in Yongsan (Seoul). Anyone know anything about the local car scene?

Wondering if I should bring one of my cars - I've got a few projects, some that could be drivers by next summer. The Army will ship one vehicle, so I could have them transport it. Don't know if there are any emissions issues to deal with.

Can't imagine that the driving will be very nice; Seoul is huge, and I know traffic is lousy. Still need something to wrench on while I'm there, and I know the Army has an auto shop (lifts, tools, etc) that I can use while I'm there. Not likely that I'll have a house with a garage.

Also trying to figure out if there are any road race or drag race venues. I have one road race project and one street/strip car. I could also wait until I arrived to buy a musclecar of some sort, but thinking the choices will be limited.

Anyone know of any hot cars that I could get there that I couldn't get stateside? Skyline GTR, etc?

Thanks,

Scott

I know people over there have built some pretty insane hyundai tiburons(no joke), so i'm sure there is something of a car scene

formula350
11-09-2012, 12:36 PM
I'm a tech a hyundai and to build an insane one, their would be no Hyundai left of it lol they suck. Gennisis coupes aren't bad though, at least its rwd lol