PDA

View Full Version : Rusty Roof Repair

jeepmann
11-05-2012, 11:30 AM
I am getting started on a 69 Grand Prix and need some advice about the roof. The car is very solid everywhere, but the roof is rusted with many small holes from the moisture under the factory vinyl top. Finding a replacement roof for this car is pretty much not an option so I have to repair it. I am an amatuer welder at best and have never had great luck with thinner metal. I have quite a bit of expereience with fiberglass, but not sure if that would be a good option or not. the headliner is out of the car so I have access to both sides. I thought about laying fiberglass from the inside first then filling the holes on the outside. This would require a rotissere to flip the car, but that is possible if needed. Any other tips for this? I imagine a body shop would charge a small fortune for a repair like this so I am trying to figure a way to do it on my own.

19,69camaro
11-05-2012, 01:09 PM
Yikes! That roof is toast. I bet if you were to take the windshield out it would look like swiss cheese.
Honestly I would not even attempt to repair that. I'm sure there are a few full size gm cars that share the same roof.

astroracer
11-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Hey Jeepman, contact this guy. Don't know if he can help but it's worth a shot.
http://www.frankspontiacparts.com/usedparts1/index.htm