PDA

View Full Version : OUSCI, SEMA, a red C10, and the Wounded Warrior Project

RobNoLimit
11-04-2012, 10:51 AM
First of all, I am totaly worn out, happy as ever, and in a bit of a daze from the events of the last few weeks. What a ride. I would like to share the story here, as Pro-Touring was a big part of it. I may skip around a bit, and this may take a few days. I hope I can give the credit to those who deserve it and made this all possible.

I'll start in Columbus Ohio. I had made a deal to compete in the Sponsor Shootout representing Hurst Shifters. We put up a good fight there with a 6th place finish. I had a talk with Jimi Day, who asked me things like, would you make the drive to Pahrump? Hell yes I would. Everyone really liked the truck and I had the feeling that I was going to get an invite to Optima. :) I had a 2500 mile drive back home to think about it. I felt pretty solid on going to Optima, but had some work to do, and the truck had yet to be on a big track.

While I was back east in Des Moines and Columbus, my nephew Jason was home on leave for 10 days, I missed seeing him. He is in a Stryker unit in Afganistan. When Jason was 2 yrs old, his dad, a Vietnam Vet. was killed in a car accident. When he was 8, my sister moved from Maryland back to Norco, Ca. (where we grew up) and I took on some of the 'dad' role. Jason felt a connection to his dad through the military, and he plans to make it his carreer. All of our family is concerned for his safety. We send E-mails but communication is limited for forward opps.

Some more key players in the story are Bret Voekel form Ride Tech, Karl Dunn, and Jimi Day. I have known Bret for over ten years and consider him to be my friend. He is smart, successfull and is always willing to help. Bret and I have had some great times to share. I met Karl Dunn this year at the So Cal Challenge. He and the crew from JCG showed up with the 'Blu-Balz' camaro, and we had a great day racing. In the end, after some drama, it came down to the camaro, with Casey driving, and my HellBoy C10, with Brett Campbell at the wheel. The gap was .003 sec. and Blu was the winner. My friendship with Karl, Chris and Casey started there, and I hope it will continue for a long, long time. Great guys. And "Hollywood" Jimi Day. Always smiling and always working, Jimi is a drivin guy. We have had dinner, raced together, drove each others cars, and see eye to eye on many things. I know Jimi has a tough job. Everybody wants in to Optima, but FM3 has a job to do, and this is now easy event to put on, so I try not to be to selfish. But, after competeing in 2010, I really want to go again.
We kept tuning and testing at out local track, and the RTTC event was coming up. Jimi would be there, it's not a qualifier, but it's a good place to show what the truck can do. I'm in, and I've got some work to do.

CA B4C
11-04-2012, 12:35 PM
This will be a great story ...

Flash68
11-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Rob, time to update that avatar. :)

SLO_Z28
11-04-2012, 04:46 PM
^Agreed!

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/11/435-1.jpg

RobNoLimit
11-04-2012, 05:24 PM
OK, your right on that one. I'll pick the best shot from Optima for that!

In september we had paid for an outside space to park the truck at SEMA (working with Becket Media), just to cover our backs. The first round of Optima invites went out. WHAT? I'm not on it? I was a bit shocked, thought I was in. Chris from Smitty's and Summers and Sons are in, both with C10's. And the Hill's Hot Rod C10 blazer is in. Hmmm, not looking so good. Then, The guys from Street Trucks (Becket) call. "Hey, we're going to put HellBoy on the cover for the SEMA issue." ...."can you put the truck in our booth?" "Sure, no problem" - then I thought, this thing is showing some track rash, we may need to clean it up. We had planned on finishing the flush glass after RTTC, but we may need to do a bit more. Marcel Venable came through saying he would touch up the paint after RTTC to help out.
So, I went to El-Toro to the Return to the Coast event on Saturday. I had a blast. The layout was fun and we got plenty of laps on the autocross. Brian Finch ribbed me a bit for my roadcoarse laps, even though I was second fastest of the day, "That won't hold up tomorrow, you have to get on it". Later on I was glad he said that. I had no plans to return on sunday, but some of the guy were asking, and applying a little pressure. I confessed to Yancy that I really couldn't afford it, and he made me a deal I could'nt really pass up. " We really want you to come back, everybody loves the truck". Later that night I talked it over with Tina, - sunday is usually our day together. She was more for it than me I think, "But your takin' me out tonight!" she said. No problem. Sunday saw some faster times and more track fun. Racing with Karl and CG is always a blast. They are great competitors, but once your off the track, it's all friendly. We match raced on saturday and Karl won. All day sunday I had him beat on the autocross, until his last run. He ran a 49.522, to best my 49.552. Damn, .030 sec. He did it again! At the awards, I got a surprise. I had run the fastest road coarse lap, 1.43.901. a nice bump from saturdays 1.47.443. Karl had run 1.44.989. I got him. (thanks Brian) But, my slow launch in the speed stop put me a few points back, and Karl took the over-all win. Well deserved.
Something else was happening sunday. Jimi Days AMX was having P/S issues. They had changes out a hardline that was leaking, and then the other one split. James Crosby drove back to Ontario to TCI (70 miles one way) to get another rack. The input splines were different and it couldn't be swapped. But Jimi had a video shoot on monday and the car needed to be fixed. James said he could fix it at his shop that night. So, we put the AMX in my trailer, Crosby drove his car, and I gave Jimi the keys to HellBoy. I showed him the controls, and off they went, Jimi following Crosby. I told them not to wait on me, as I would be a little slower. I got to James shop and he was ready. We unloaded the AMX, loaded my truck, said goodbye, and I was off. Crosby had it fixed by midnight. - Thats service. I was so tired I didn't even ask Jimi if he liked driving the truck, but, I thought it was unfair to make a big deal over it. Yes, I wanted in to Optima, but I wanted in on the merits of the truck, not some favor.
Monday morning Marcel came out to have a look at the truck, and take it over to the glass shop for me, . .... and thats when things changed.

nicks67camaro
11-05-2012, 05:01 AM
Rob, I enjoyed watching the truck run. I have a video of it taking off after the lambo....I'll try to download it and post it later....like most of the cars there it was visually amazing to look at as it was to watch it run....your support crew was really nice and I talked to them a little. Nice job.

jb@ridetech
11-05-2012, 12:17 PM

jb@ridetech
11-05-2012, 12:19 PM

jb@ridetech
11-05-2012, 12:25 PM
one last shot! 67134

RobNoLimit
11-05-2012, 06:53 PM
I had a tough time up there, bit it's for a good cause. Thanks to Bret for helping me out, and for the guys at Pro-Touring for letting me share the stage

RobNoLimit
11-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Thanks Jason for the picts. I suck at the picts and video loading, so if you have any to post, go for it.
So, the day after RTTC, Marcel shows up and we look at the truck. The drivers front fender is a different shade, And the rockers are sandblasted from El-Toro. Front roll pan has some issues, Pass door is scratched. "We need to shoot it all" he tells me. "No time" I say. We have two weeks, I need a day, athe glass guy needs a day, and a day for some interior help. He grabs the keys, hops it the truck and says "I'll call ya, but I got to get to the glass shop today for a fit check. See ya later" And it's gone.
The second set of invites had come out, and, I wasn't on it. I was feeling like Optima's red headed step child. My olny shop is a golden ticket. It's Willy Wonka time. I have a new set of wheels I'm working on, and I picked up the center from our powder coater and took them over to have the hoops pressed and welded. Everyone asks me if I'm in, and my fuse is getting a bit shorter. I hear that the booth deal fell through and Marcel has no place to paint, and the scramble starts. The wheels show up and they look great, I really want to test fit, but the truck is a hour away, so I dropped them off at the tire shop to get the tires mounted. Marcel tels me he has a paint solution but doesn't want to tell me what it is. And it just keeps going like this.
My sister is nervous because she hasn't heard from Jason in two weeks. Got word of casualties in his unit. Tina and I know that the next five weekends will be busy, so I took her for a ride across Angeles Crest Hwy. on that Sunday. It was a nice break. Perfect day. Sometimes a ride on the bike can fix a lot of things. I'm expecting the truck back Wednesday. Tuesday we see the transit problems. I decide to go get it, but i have out of state customers coming in, so I'l go get it after work. We're cutting it close. When I get there, it's painted, kind of, it's not rubbed out, and it's not assembled. So, we start to work. We decide to put it together and polish it later. Somewhere around midnight it goes back in the trailer, and I head home.
Thursday. I get to the shop early, and unload. The upholstery guy should be here any time. He's a no show. When I get him on the phoneHe tells me he is stuck on another SEMA car. Nice. I worked on it all day, but doesn't seam like much got done. Marcel had most of it blocked withm 3000 grit, but not polished. I had things to do at home, so we called it a night. I was not too happy. And it was not lookin good for SEMA.
That night I called my daughter, Brooke. She's in Tulsa. After the usuall chat she asked me what was going on, she could tell I was disconnected. As we talked, she said a few things that stuck. "You'll get it done dad, you always do", then she asked about the other Optima competitors. "Don't they deserve to be there too?" Later that night those things crept back into my head. Yes, I will get it done. And, if I don't get a pick, then I'll go and be coarse worker. She's right, I'm not intitled, and I'm not a sponsor. In fact I'm pretty fortunate to be doing this at all . Friday will be a better day.

Rod
11-05-2012, 08:40 PM
keep going rob, good story

MK69RSSS
11-05-2012, 09:24 PM

GrabberGT
11-06-2012, 08:19 AM
What a cliff hanger! The tension! Please tell me there was a film crew catching this drama.

Sorry. I deal with stress by trying to be funny. Good story.

bret
11-06-2012, 10:56 AM
I showed up a little late in this story, so I only knew that Rod had not been picked at the beginning of SEMA...and then got in on the Wounded Warrior part of it.

Stand by...you're going to want to hear this :)

Rob...I am so very proud that you included me in this situation. It is an honor.

RobNoLimit
11-06-2012, 12:36 PM
For all that don't know, Bret and I are pretty good friends. He has always been willing to help me out, and I have always dont the same for him. A place to park, a shop to use, a house to sleep in, or share some pizza and a beer with. Bret is the real deal. I had wanted to do something earlier in the week at SEMA, but do to prior agreements, I had to wait until I had heard from Optima about an invite. I had hoped I could count on Bret, and his clout in the industry, and as usual he came through strong. I could not have done this without your help my friend. Thanks again.

RobNoLimit
11-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Honestly I have no idea what picts and film there are, if any. It all happened so fast, and I have to say, adding something else in the mix during SEMA and Optima makes everything a blurr.

bret
11-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Rob...you left off with with getting ready for SEMA...this is a great story...keep going...we'll fill in with some pictures and more comments.

GrabberGT
11-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Rob...you left off with with getting ready for SEMA...this is a great story...keep going...we'll fill in with some pictures and more comments.

No kidding. Commercial break is over. Lets have it.

bret
11-06-2012, 01:39 PM

This is a great picture. For those who don't know these guys...from left to right:

Jimi Day, Bret Voelkel, Jeff Schwartz [partially hidden behind me], Rob McGreagor, [unknown, hidden], Little John Kundrat, Tom Farrington, Bob Bertillson.

We were originally up there for the Team TA contingency program, but that morphed into a discussion about the Wounded Warrior Project.

Crestronwizard
11-06-2012, 02:37 PM
I love that I found this forum. What a great group. I hope I'm out there in the mix next year and get to meet some of you. Inspiring.

RobNoLimit
11-06-2012, 08:10 PM
This may be a shocker, but I do have a business to run. :) Back to wednesday when I picked up the truck. I mentioned that our paint booth had fell through. Seams like everyone we knew with a booth had a SEMA car in it. But, Marcel did come up with a solution. Such as it is. He used a garage tent from Harbor Frieght and some box fans, in his front yard. If you knew anything about Fullerton, Ca. laws, nieghborhood associations, and the AQMD (Air Quality Management District) this move may be viewed as more dangerous than robbing a Brinks truck. But it did look pretty good. (see picts)
Friday morning came early, as in thursday night early. I didn't sleep much if at all. I kept thinking about what Brooke had said, and about Jason. I got to the shop early thinking I could get the truck set up to a baseline without anyone bothering me. That didn't work. I had a new set of wheels that I made, and a new set of Falken tires mounted up, and it wasn't until I bolted one on that I realized that the backspace was wrong. WTF? OK, measure it out. We had a set of 12"s, with 7 3/8", the new 11"s should be 6 3/8 backspace. Nope, 8 3/8". Arghhhh!!! 1" the wrong way. So I call Victor at Intro, "get the tires off, and get them over here ASAP. I'll cut them out and weld up a new set of hoops", "you can pick them up monday". Well, that's not so good, I have a sunday move in date. Push on. Bill shows up and he takes the wheels and tires over to be dismounted, then heads off to the OC. Now Marcel is here to polish the paint, and the crew is showing up, so much for an early start. I can't really focus on work and all I'm thinking about is a way to turn this mess into something positive.
Just before noon my sister stops by the shop. She had heard from Jason, he's been out on a mission. Two guys from his unit were in a building that exploded, condition unknown. She is shook up but glad he is OK. I start to think that my troubles are very petty. Brousing Facebook at lunch I see that Jason posted up a pict. Four soldiers from his unit, he and three others, all with some type of bandage, all smiling. The Wounded Warrior Project jumps in my head. I have an idea. Lunch is over. I got things to do. What can I do. How can I do it. More than a hundred thousand people go to SEMA, I tag up the truck and raise money and awareness. Got to call Jason at Street Trucks, wait, Marcel is here (he works with Becket). We need to have a talk, I have an idea.
Well, that didn't go so well. There are rules. I can't put No Limit logo's on the truck because it's in Becket's booth, and No Limit is not a SEMA exibitor. OK, I sort of get this, but, I can't put a Wounded Warrior banner up due to the same rules. I call a higher up at Becket (against everyones wishes) and we have a chat. Noble idea, but no. "What about an Optima OUSCI sticker?" I ask, "If I get a golden ticket, they want a sticker on the door" - Optima is not a Street Trucks advertiser. "Well that would be OK" "Then what about my logo, if I get in?" He reluctantly gives me the green light. I'm not going to ask for anything more. If needed, I'll beg for forgiveness later.
All day we work on the truck, Marcel left around 4pm, and I worked on the truck 'til around 10pm. Marcel wanted me to give him an update when I left. "It's not looking so good. The paint looks flat, worse than this morning" There is a big silence. "I'll see you in the morning". We have one day left.

Larry Callahan
11-06-2012, 08:29 PM
What an awesome read. I can't wait for more.

RS_Customs
11-06-2012, 08:51 PM
This is a great picture. For those who don't know these guys...from left to right:

Jimi Day, Bret Voelkel, Jeff Schwartz [partially hidden behind me], Rob McGreagor, [unknown, hidden], Little John Kundrat, Tom Farrington, Bob Bertillson.

We were originally up there for the Team TA contingency program, but that morphed into a discussion about the Wounded Warrior Project.

I think [unknown, hidden] is Ron Schwarz.

Great story Rob!

Robert

RobNoLimit
11-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Well boys and girls, the election is over. The outcome puts me in a somber mood. Lets talk about the saturday before SEMA.
Well, lets start with friday night. I talked with Tina about the Wounded Warrior Project. I had called them and had not gotten a return call. She was behind me 100%, but had a lot of questions. What if you don't get a ticket? How will you get donations? How much can you really raise? .... I don't know. But I'm gonna find a way.
Saturday morning started early. Some good friends started showing up. Marcel, Mike, Bill, Tim, Ezra, and more. The paint was 'off-gassing', I guess it wasn't cured when we color sanded it. Well, let's cut it again. While they sanded, and sanded, I climbed inside with some foam, a razor blade and a can of glue. I guess I'll be the interior guy. All I really need to finish is the back panel, and the headliner, and the door panels, ... crap. My progress was slow, and I tried to stay focussed, but I kept trying to answer Tina's questions in my head. I crawled out to eat some lunch, and honestly, it didn't look any better. Ezra did a test buff on a fender, and it lokked pretty good. I think that was good for everyones spirits.
So let me fill you in a little about my shop. We use about 7000 sq. ft. of a 15000 sq. ft. building. It's like a strip mall commercial building, and the remaining space is leased to other businesses. We are located directly across the street from the National Orange Show Fairgrounds. One thing they do there is lease out the fairgrounds to a Rave promoter about every 12 weeks. And, as luck would have it, Saturday night was thebig Halloween Rave. I have a deal to sub the parking lot out to a group that supervises parking and pays the owner, me. But today, we need a little space, and they are not happy. I moved my truck and trailer out to the street to try to help. The real distraction is the Rave goers. Halloween in Vegas aint got nothin on these kids. Calm down guys, lets keep working. By 4pm I had the headliner done. And the Rave music is pumpin, you can hear it for miles. The sanding was done, and Marcel and Ezra were running the buffers. Bill and Tim had the old wheels cleaned and back on. By 6pm I had the back panels done, and the seats going back in. The guys were now hand rubbing, and things are looking up. I finished the door panels and latches, and it's lookin pretty good. We're just about out of time. Our load in is 10 am sunday. We cleaned it up, and after one good burn out for the Rave crowd, loaded it in the trailer. The shop is a mess, and will be that way when I open monday. Lets go home. Marcel and Mulligan are heading out early, they have the Becket booth. "wanna meet for breakfast?" " 6:30 at the top of the hill?" (a little old diner sits on the top of the Cajon Pass of I-15) " see you there. I'm buyin. Thanks bro" As we drove away the parking squad was moving in. What a zoo. Got to get some sleep, Sema's comin

RobNoLimit
11-07-2012, 08:19 PM
4:30 is early. I tried to be quiet on my way out. The moon was full and orange on the west horizon. A few miles up the road I stopped to pick up Bill and Tim, and 45 minutes later we pulled into the old diner. It was open but we were the only customers. Marcel and Mulligan were running late. We ate and headed on. Four hours later we pulled into Vegas. SEMA set up was in full swing. I am always amazed to see this part of the show. After checking in you just wait for your turn. Walking around you see old friends. We helped the Becket group set up their booth. I had a moment to talk with Marcel about the Wounded Warrior Project, and what we could do. We mamaged to corner Brandon, a becked editor, into the concept and pushed for a page to promote those who help out, provided I could pull something together in a day. He agreed and I started to see some light on this. We got the call to move the truck in and then we headed for home. All the way I was thinking about what I could do. I needed a way to show I was in it, that I stood behind it, that I was serious. On the way home i was thinking about the upcoming week. I only had about three weeks of work to do in two days.
First thing monday morning I got a call from the WWP. I talked with them for a while. In the summer we had helped them out a a car show and raised 1300 dollars. I told them that I wanted to try to raise 10 grand, and, although happy about that, they asked, how will you do it? Well, I'm not sure. I have some ideas, but nothing solid. After a some discusion, we said goodbuy. I hung up wiith thier blessing and best wishes. OK, We need Logo stickers for Trent, Smitty, and a few others. We need to pick up the wheels. Tires need to be re-mounted and balanced. I need a WWP logo sticker. We need a card rack for the truck. Oh, I have a business to run, have to find a way to make it all happen. Bill shows up. He's heading to LA to pick up mufler samples for Black Widow. "Hey, can you go by intro and pick up my wheels? one down. Tim from Arts and Letters comes through on the logo and stickers I needed, I just got to go get them. Things are shpaing up. Can't tel you how late monday night was, I needed to log hours on a customers Truck project for the GNRS, and I can't let it fall behind. Tuesday was a blur, but we got it all done. Tina and I left after work and headed back to Vegas. We talked about SEMA, the OUSCI, and how to raise money for the WWP. All of the good ideas include competition, I really need to get a ticket. We checked in and had a drink, then off to bed. the clock is ticking, and I feel a heavy load. Can't wait for the morning to come.

mpozzi
11-07-2012, 09:10 PM
I know that old diner ... Summit Inn?? Good eats if I remember right. Great story, too ...

Mary P.

Lomonte
11-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Cliffhanger! AAAAAhhhhh! Makes me proud to be wearing my Mother Trucker shirt here at work. Wish I coulda met you at GG Kansas City.

bret
11-08-2012, 10:55 AM
For those who are going to the Del Mar Goodguys show...the No Limit HellBoy C10 is scheduled to attend, as will the RideTech 33. It would be a good chance to come out to take a look at both...and maybe take a ride.

RobNoLimit
11-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Yep, we're doing all of the 'West Coast Swing' with GoodGuys. Come by and say hi.
Wed, way too early. I'm up, can't sleep. Once Tina was up and ready we went to the Peppermill for breakfast. If you haven't done this in Vegas, do it. Then over to the show. From the shuttle stand to the Becket booth, I must have been asked a hundred times if I was in Optima yet? No, I won't know till thursday at 10:30. - come by the Optima battery booth and watch it. Around noon I ran into Jimi Day. They were filming around a red import, "your looking at the wrong red car" I joked. Jimi looked back and smiled, "I think your TV now" Oops, hope I didn't just blow it. The day was full of excitement, and i kept thinking about the WWP. I need to start a wild fire. I can't see enough people myself, i need others to spread the word. I need a few well known people to join in. Keep thinking. That night Tina and I went to see Guns and Roses, then over to the Round bar at the Hard Rock. It was calm for a wednesday, I think we're getting older. Again, not much sleep. Up at 5am, can't sleep. I start to think, it may not matter if I get into the OUSCI, if I don't get some sleep.

So Cal Camaro
11-08-2012, 06:01 PM
Rob, you should have just hung out at the O bar for a few longer, James and I went to the Peppermill after we left the Hard Rock...it was entertaining watching the drunk guy eat....LOL

RobNoLimit
11-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Well, it's thursday. After a buffet breakfast we headed over to the show. I tried to kill some time walking around, but the clock is tickin' slow. I must have ran into a dozen people who all said, "I think you'll get in". I hope so. But now it's for another reason, and it feels more desperate. I went upstairs to check out the art display. These people are talented in way I don't understand. I love looking at this stuff. 10 am. We head back toward the central hall. the crowd is gathering at the Optima booth, and I want a front row spot. I see a lot of freinds who are already in. I'm sure they can tell I'm nervous. The press is all there, and the cameras are rolling. First some info comes out. Of note is that Buell has joined up with Optima on their production bikes. And, as a treat for us, Eric Buell is there (one of my hero's) and a Buell will run the road coarse on saturday. (thats cool). Then Bill Goldberg came out to call the Golden Tickets. He was trying to get the crowd hyped up. Name #1, then #2, come on guys, show some excitement. I thought, if they call my name, I'll yell out load, they'll hear me. #4, then #5. These are impressive cars. The competition is stronger every year. #6, Hey, that's ME, YAAAAA!!!! I yelled out load. I think I scared Bill. As he shook my hand I told him, "I feel sorry for all these guys, goin' to get beat by a truck." He laughed, I got my ticket, and I was off the stage. I gave Tina a big hug. She always supports me. The crowd around me was all smiles. Seams like everyone was shaking my hand. Then I started. " I'm going to run this for the Wounded Warrior Project", "I'll donate $100 dollars for every car I beat on saturday" like a kids jog-a-thon. "Anyone can help out, donate anything you want" A few came forward. i knew I would need some horsepower behind this, and as I looked across the crowd, I saw my freind. He was smiling at me, glad I made it in. As I walked up to him, he extended a friendly hand. "I'm glad you made it in, you deserve it". Thanks, I said. Now I need a favor. "I'm gonna put you on the spot. I'm donating $100 bucks for every car I beat to the Wounded Warrior Project. Will you join me?" He smiled. I think he could tell this meant something to me. "Hell YES. You know this could get expensive, and I hope it does." That's Bret Voekel. If you don't know this man, you're missing out. The people around us were shocked, and I could tell the wild fire was spreading. It was already working, and I was flying high. Out to the Optima trailer to get my Door stickers. Back at my truck, the crowd was gathering. I'll bet a hundred people took pictures as I put the Wounded Warrior Project logo on the hood. People were handing me donations. A man gently walked up and said thank you. When I looked up, I could see tears in his eyes. "my grandson is over there" " thank you" He handed me $100 bucks and walked away.

67zo6Camaro
11-08-2012, 08:39 PM
eyes a little watery now. Wow! Im sucked in. Such a good cause and story. Thanks for sharing Rob. Keep going please.... want to hear more.

RobNoLimit
11-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Thanks Brett.

That afternoon I talked to a a lot of people. I was trying to get more OUSCI competitors and/or sponsors to sign on. I collected a lot of donations, and some were not interested. Before you ask "who?", don't. I think everyone has a cause they believe in, and they are under no obligation to sign on to mine. The big picture is that people were helping out, and happy to do so. Now time was flying. It was 4:30, and we wanted to get back to our room for a moment before the Pro-Touring Dinner. I had called my sister to let her know what was going on. She was excited about the WWP but I could tell something was on her mind. She had talked to Jason earlier that day. Thats unusual, a phone call. He was back in a medical post. The explosion that injured two in his unit also caught him. He didn't want to say anything earlier. One soldier was dead, one air lifted out. Jason and three others sustained minor to medium injuries. Jason had some stitches and a burn on one leg. Thats purple heart #2. I know my sister is worried. Jason is a tough kid, and not one to complain at all. I'm a bit shook up. It's time for us to go.
Hey, the Pro-Touring dinner. This will be a great place to get pledges. We got to the Clarion and made our way back to check in. It was cool to see a C10 on the shirt for 2012, hey, it's even red! I talked with some people and we found a table with Chris, Karl, and Casey. Great guys and fast cars from JCG. Now, we (No Limit) are a contingency sponsor for the ASCS events. But this year no one qualified for any money from us. I was thinking maybe I could use this as an opportunity to push for donations. But, my spirits were not 'up'. and I had a hard time talking about the WWP in conversation. I was thinking maybe I could get Yancy or Bill to say something, I just need a chance to get over and talk to them. While we were on stage for the BFG contingency, Bret Voekel stepped up and got things started. He asked for the mic and told the crowd what I was doing, then asked me to explain it. Thoughts of my sister, my nephew, and thousands of other like them overwhelmed me. I could barely speak. I did the best I could, and felt a bit ashamed that I didn't do a better job of it. But I think people got it. We are all very lucky to be here. Back at our table, Karl Dunn asked me about my pledge of $100 per car I beat. "you want to join us?" I asked "I'd be honored" and he shook my hand. I couldn't believe what was happening. And it just kept happenning. During the raffle, people in the crowd started to yell up to Bill to 'Auction' the items off, and donate the money. And they did. Then, they passed a bowl around for everyone else to add to. I can't put into words what it was like to watch people come together on this. These really are some of the best people anywhere. All together that night we raised over 2700 dollars. And we had another 'race-a-thon' participant. I was physically and emotionally worn out. Tina and I went back to our hotel and took a breather from it all. We had a drink and she played a few slots. That night I finally got some sleep.

Bill Howell
11-09-2012, 08:41 AM
Rob, i have been waiting on this post until you got to it in your storyline. I wanted to say something a week ago about the auction. Even though I am a terrible auctioneer, it was fun to action off door prizes and see how much money we could raise in a short period of time on the spur of the moment. The Pro-Touring dinner is a great place to raise money, we have done it before for different causes and this year the crowd was no different. Like you said, we were able to raise about $2700 at the dinner and that should be a great jump start for the charity. Thanks for your time and effort in making all this happen.

Cobra 498
11-09-2012, 10:16 AM
Rob,
What a great story, I keep checking the forum for the next installment because it is so well written and really captures the emotions involved with both your family and OUSCI.
I hope you and Tina are well and am going to run some of the events you are planning in SOCAL for 2013 for sure. PS Hellboy looks really aggressive and appears to be a real runner too.

mdes0
11-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Rob, Thank you for sharing your story. What you did for WWP means a lot to me as a vet and an American. Thank you,
Matt
Semper Fi

bret
11-09-2012, 01:26 PM
keep going buddy...I'm getting antsy! :)

bret
11-09-2012, 01:29 PM
I wanted to add that this story is not to blow anyone's horn or to shame anyone into contributing, but to make people think about what can be done to help those who are helping us. Contributions certainly do not need to be on this scale...Wounded Warrior [or any worthy organization] will accept $1.00. It doesn't need to be done publicly, or through this venue. Just think how you can help...even if it is to inspire someone else to help.

RobNoLimit
11-12-2012, 07:58 AM
Good Morning. It's monday, Just got back from pleasanton GoodGuys. Great weekend., buty a long and late drive home. I'll be back to this story today. Happy Veterans Day. Thanks to all Veterans.

Nessumsar
11-12-2012, 09:05 AM
Exciting story Rob!

Looking forward to seeing you down in Del Mar.

Rod
11-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Good Morning. It's monday, Just got back from pleasanton GoodGuys. Great weekend., buty a long and late drive home. I'll be back to this story today. Happy Veterans Day. Thanks to all Veterans.

good job this weekend Rob, you drove hard brother

RobNoLimit
11-12-2012, 05:27 PM
good job this weekend Rob, you drove hard brother

Thanks Rod. As usuall, you Camaro pulls it's weight. Having Mike Maier drive and help me tune was worth every penny of the $45 entry fee to get him in the seat. See you in Scottsdale.

Flash68
11-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Rob, nice seeing you and your truck man. That thing is a beast. You and Mike and Brian were like the rockstars out there. Congrats on a great showing.

Hope to make it to one of your Adams events in 2013.

RobNoLimit
11-12-2012, 05:46 PM
Friday at SEMA is usually a little slow. We had a new set of wheels and tires in the trailer, and had moved the trailer into the Silver lot, just down from the convention center. Our plan was to get out of the building as quickly as possible and get over to the SIlver lot and change wheels and tires, rthen join the Road Rally portion of Optima. The catch is, you don't know what the Road Rally will be, or where it's going until the 3pm drivers meeting. (SEMA closes at 4pm) So I spend most of the day talking with suppliers and dealers, and trying to drum up more support for the WWP. People from all over were handing us donations. I was trying to get everyones name, but a lot of people didn't want any credit, just wanted to help out. SEMA is like a time warp. It shows up way too fast, time slows to a crawl during the load in and set-up, then even though it seams to be going slow, it's over before you know it. Bam, it's almost 3pm. We headed out to the Optima trailer for the drivers meeting. They gave out all the info, and details of the Road Rally. And when the meeting was over, it was 3:45, so we headed back to the truck. The first step of the Road Rally was to get to Las Vegas Motor Speedway ASAP. We got out of the building quicklyand headed to the Silver lot. Bill and Tim were ready to go. It looked like a NASCAR pit at the trailer. We pulled out the new rubber and just that quick, smiles turn to frowns. One was dead flat. We pumped it up, and you could here the air leak out. Crap. Scrap it, we gotta go. Bill and Tim headed for a tire shop to asee if they could fix it, and we headed for LVMS.

RobNoLimit
11-12-2012, 10:07 PM
Rob, nice seeing you and your truck man. That thing is a beast. You and Mike and Brian were like the rockstars out there. Congrats on a great showing.

Hope to make it to one of your Adams events in 2013.

I feel so fortunate to have been in that poosition. When I asked the guys to give rides and raise some money for the Pleasanton Veterans Familys Foundation, they all said yes. Now these guys are strong competitors, and I can tell you that sometimes taking a passenger is not going to help you run your best time, but they were in for the whole thing. We raised $740 and some of the women were starting to cry when we told them. Special thanks go out to Brian Hobough (I hope I spelled that right) and the Wilwood Camaro, Mike Maier and his killer Maier Rcing Mustang, and James Crosby in the Ride Tech Camaro.

RobNoLimit
11-12-2012, 10:52 PM
A funny thing happened on the way to the racetrack.... Well, I thought I was on time. We got out quick, didn't waist too much time with the tire mess, and we were on our way. Tina never misses a mark when it comes to navagating. As we headed out of the main part of town we saw anther competitor. Sorry but i lost their names. The guys were waving me down as we got close. Their car had lost a trans cooler line, it was done. It was the gold-champagne colored shortened caddy roadster. "Can you help us push it over into the gas station?" they had a wrecker on the way, but it was in the street. I parked the truck and we pushed it across the street. We were off and running again. As we pulled into the speedway the gates were shut. We were the last to arrive. A guy came over to open the gate, it was none other than Eric Buell. I lined up dead last. Jimi day came over and told me that he would be the last one out to 'sweep' the track, so I was to pull in front of him when our line went out. I thought we would be cruising the oval. When the first line went out, they went out and up on to turn four, then a hard right onto the road coarse in the interior, they ran three laps I think. I was giddy. When our line went out we really weren't thinking. Off the bank and onto the road coarse, I don't have any belts on. I looked at Tina, same thing. We laughed and took our laps. As we slowed to pull onto the pit road, I was stopped still on the track. Jimi Day was the only one behind me and we were the only ones out there. I looked at Tina and smiled. "what do ya think?" I asked. she laughed. "probably not a good idea" I said. She knew just what I was thinking. We could pull out and do one more lap all alone. I'm sure that would have made OUSCI history, and put me on some kind of list. We pulled into the pits. Eric Buell slowly rolled past us to take the track. Tina looked over and said "if I had my helmet, I'd be on the back of that bike". What a cool first stop. On to the Shelby museum and shop. All I can say is, ford lover or not, you need to go there. The back shop was too cool. We signed the wall and talked with the shop guys. Then it was on to Indian Springs Casino, about 50 miles. As we pulled out we got a call from Bill, the rim was leaking at the weld. No fix. "We'll meet you in Indian Springs. Not a mile down the road Dale was pulled over on the offramp. A few guys stopped. Karl and a few others were following me because we knew the route - Tina the navagator. Dales Tiger had been smoking, but we couldn't find anything. He joined our little group and we were off. After about 15 miles, and once we were way out of town, the other guys were tiring of my pace and started to pull away. I'm cool with 5 or 10 over, but honestly, if I get another ticket, I'll need a bus pass. Dale stayed with me and we headded to Indian springs. at around the 40 mile mark, the DSE frieght train passed us like we were walking. I have to say, it sounded awsome! At the Indian Springs Gas Station, and Casino, we hooked up with Bret and Greg from RideTech in the 33, and the rest of the 'Mother Trucker' crew. My diner consisted of a large Payday bar, and a diet Mt Dew. We took a look at Dales car, and it seemed OK. Bill and Tim pulled in with the truck and trailer and we were all together. With a new larger group we pulled out and headed for Pahrump. The only thing that could have made it better would have been daylight. But cruising throuth the desert at night with five other bad ass cars/trucks was something special. We pulled into the final checkpoint at the Nugget Casino in Pahrump at around 9:30. We checked in, and they had some snack food out for us. Looks like everyone made it. Bret and I talked to the group in the room for a moment, about the WWP and our plans to raise money. It was nice to have his help getting the attention of the crowd. We still had lots to do that night. Trailers to move to the race track, find hotels and rooms, and for me, change from my 'street' alignment to our standard 'track' set-up. We said our goodnights and went to work. I'm guessing midnight is when we went to sleep. It may as well be Christmas eve. Tomorow is OPTIMA!!

JD'sTT55
11-13-2012, 08:21 AM
Great story Rob thank you for sharing. My wife and I enjoyed watching your truck race at OUSCI. :twothumbs

V8240Z
11-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Rob, great story so far. I keep checking back for each installment. My wife and I enjoyed watching you run at the Return to the Coast, and you certainly deserved that spot at The OUSCI. We area watching for that final tally on funds raised as Wounded Warriors is a great cause. How was the GnR concert by the way?

Charles

RobNoLimit
11-13-2012, 10:23 PM
Thanks guys. we've been having a blast with the new truck. Now that we're heading in the right direction of getting it sorted out, it really is exciting to drive. GnR was an up and down. The band was great, Axle was late, as I expected. I think they had a last minute set list change. I'd give it an 8.

RobNoLimit
11-13-2012, 11:00 PM
Our Optima breakfast was a quick stop at the gas station. I went for chocolate donuts and a Monster drink. I can't say that any of the crew had any better. My focus was to be smart, and not to rush anything. Two years ago I made every OUSCI mistake there was. This time, be smart. That didn't last long. I wanted to drop the rear sway bar to a softer bar that I liked better at RTTC. Then I decided to change the front tires. (I consider this mistake #1) I went from a truck I knew, to one that I didn't. Dumb. At the drivers meating I even took notes. - Try to be smart. I even read my notes as I walked back to our pit stall. Then I took the truck over to tech. All clear. My group Auto crossed first. Good. Thats what I wanted. Gonna kill it today.
Now I guess I need to explain the outcome. YES, I finished 50th in the autocross. I'm still at a loss on this one. After tech I went back to the pit to double check everything. Marcel was grabbing cameras. I drove over and parked the truck at Ridetech's trailer and walked up to the autocross. When I was at tech, you could walk the coarse, I missed that. So, I watched 10 or 12 runs. I studied lines, speed, braking, and the problem areas. I felt confident. "Let's go kick some ass" and I walked down to get the truck. I felt good. Head in the game. Belted in, oil is warm, good to go. I rolled up to the start. Marcel placing Go-Pros doesn't bother me any more. I'm focussed on the run. Leave, shift, L-R chicane, 90L, 90L, 4 turn slolum, 180L, 90R-90R (blend), shake R, 90R, 90L, stop box. As I waited I kept runnin the coarse. Up to the line. Temps are good. - Umbrella girls were a nice touch. Green. Exhale and go. Quick pace check out pass, good, good, WOW, back end comin around, then oops, two comes on the last right. 43.267 +4sec (2 sec per cone.) Crap. Changing tires may have been a bad idea. Yes the front turns in better, but the balance is a bit off now. It's OK, calm down. Run #2. Green, and go. Too fast into the slolum section, sloppy, but clean into the box. 42.231. Got a good one in the book. I'm ready to let it out now. As I roll up to the starting line the starter says, "man, nice run, but that's two DQ's. You've only got one run left" WHAT? "Why was that a DQ?" Then he tells me, "you didn't stop in the box" "yes I did" " I was way short of the last cones" "No" he tells me, "you have to stop before the 'first' cones. Didn't you walk the coarse?" Well, no, I was down in tech, I thought. Being patient. So the last run. I left good, went into the slolum controlled and clean, and made the 180 pretty quick. Then, a bit too much speed into the last right turn, and.......... looped it. A full 360 in the lane, well mostly in, I hit 4 cones. Kept going throught the lights and into the box - before the cones. The clock says 41.952 but add 8 sec for cones. (49.952) That's how I pulled out all the stops for 50th place. That should have been my best event. I was pissed. I'm not going to beat a lot of cars that way. I felt like I let the WWP down. I let my self down, my guys, and everyone who helped me get here. What am I doing. I head back to the pit stall to calm down.

GrabberGT
11-14-2012, 08:03 AM
Wow! How'd you hold it together enough to make that last run. I think I would have mowed down every last one of those stop box cones for vengeance especially knowing I did a 360.

RobNoLimit
11-14-2012, 10:17 PM
After I calmed down I felt a little better. Optimas rules and format may be difficult, but it's the same for everyone. So if you are lucky enough to go, get it together. Next up for me was the road coarse. I was feeling 'somewhat' confident here. The truck did great at RTTC, but this track is bigger, and I would say it favors the big HP cars. After listening to all the pit talk, the numbers seem to keep gowing up. 650 HP, 740, 870. Damn, I've only got 400, it's like we brought a four banger. I wasn't really worried, I'll do the best I can, and that'll be the number. As I was moving forward in the line up, I started to worry a bit. Not to sound boastfull, but I'll catch the guy in front of me, easy. As I was looking around, Jimi Day walked over to the truck. "I'm gonna move you into a different run group, when the line moves up, pull around the next two, I'll wave you up to a faster group." Cool, I thought. As we moved up, I pulled around, and Jimi waved me up and directed me to pull into the third spot of a new group. Really? I got my hands full now! A GTR, a Lambo, and me, in a red truck. This don't look right. Honestly I was more worried that the GTR might catch me than I was about the Lambo. (I have a history with Nissan GTP racing) Then it starts. Chad from BangShift is on the mic. He's saying that if I catch the lambo, BangShift will put in $500 to the WWP. Other people are adding on. Jimi joked "no pressure". Chad kept pumping it up. As we moved up, the bridge was filling with spectators, and Tina told me that the pot was up to $1250. The hell with runnin with the bulls, I'm gonna run one down. The GTR pulls out. 30 sec. then the Lambo, 30 sec, I get the green. I used the warm up lap to let the temps stabilize. (this was mistake #3, or #4 by now. I should have pushed it to catch the lambo) Coming around for the green it felt good. Three laps is all you get. All or nothin. Lap 1 felt food. I had my cell phone with 'Trackmaster' taped to the dash. I spotted lap 1 at 1.58. Around the giant 'S' I spotted the Lambo and marked his position. Got a little loose in the technical section, but not bad, pulled hard on the back straight, fade right, turn in, set for the left, no, no oh, crap. Spun out, but still on the track. Glanced back for the GTR, nowhere, clutch and go. On the front straight and under the bridge, lap 2, phone says 1.57, not bad with a spin. I spot the Lambo again, I've closed the gap. The dash looks like a christmas tree. Oil is 270, water is 255. I'm already stockin up motor parts, lets hope the lambo is in the same boat. I gave it all I had. Out on the front strait and under the bridge. I'm really worried. Oil 290, water 265, but, no smoke. start the cool down lap. When I spot the lambo, I'm a lot closer, but didn't really catch him. My phone lost the last lap. Great. As I pulled off the track, the official says, "I saw a little smoke on the last lap, might want to check the water" I smiled. I'm surprised he didn't think I had a steam whistle. I walked up to the Optima Rig to talk to Chad. "Well you did run faster than the Lambo, but you didn't really catch him" I figured as much. Thats bitter sweet. I out ran a Super Car in a chevy C10, thats so cool, but I missed out on some donations for the WWP. Should have ran the first lap hot. I don't know where that puts me, but it can't be too bad. Next up, Speed Stop.

GrabberGT
11-15-2012, 08:03 AM
The hell with runnin with the bulls, I'm gonna run one down.

Lovin it!

RobNoLimit
11-19-2012, 06:48 PM
After exiting the road coarse, I parked the truck to let it cool down. Shortly there after the design judging team walked over. They asked me a few questions and I showed them the truck. They were interested in the change of proportions and I explained why I did things, and then they were gone. I guess I'll find out later.

I have to say that I like the new "Speed stop squared" format way better than the tradition tire torture test. (say that 5 times fast) This is a challenging event for me, as I'm not much of a drag racer, my launch is usually sloppy. I really focused on the start and I made a few good runs. And then it's over. I've done all I could today, we'll just have to wait and see. I wandered the pits and talked to as many people as I could. So many great people and cars. The truck crew had put up a good fight. All of us we're smiling. Smitty handed me a cold one. "congrats, what a great day". "no doubt" I said, "this has to be the best one day event in motorsports". We had the normal chatter, what we did wrong, how we could have done better, what mechanically need attention. I asked Marcel to get a good shot of all of ther trucks together, and we moved them around a bit. "We need Phil's truck" I said, Marcel went to find him. In a few minutes, he came back, "move all the trucks over to the opening between K&N and Magnaflow, then I can get some shots from the top of the Roadster Shop rig" Good idea. As we lined up the five trucks, a crowd was gathering. We got them lined up just right. The cameras were out. Then Tim (aka 'the Hawk') comes strolling over with six of the Optima girls. - that's the Hawk. "you need models for this" We we're all shocked that he pulled that one off. - one of my favorite Optima shots. The stress over my auto-x failure was fading. No matter where you place, this is day to remember. We wandered over for a chat with Chad Reynolds and a few laughs as the last cars came off of the road coarse. Everyone you see is smiling and laughing. We watched a few of the last speed stops, and then it's over. The engines are off. Talking to Bret at the RideTech trailer he was feeling pretty good about his performance. "don't know how it will all wash out, but thats as fast as I could go. We'll just have to wait and see". He mentioned that he would ask if Jimi would let me go up and make one more donation push for the WWP. It's nice to have good friends.
As the awards started everyone was anxious to know the standings. Jimi made mention of my WWP pledge to donate $100 for each car that I beat, and I commented back, "I may have to thow in some extra to punish myself for my poor showing at the auto-cross" "We'll just wait and see" He said.

RobNoLimit
11-19-2012, 09:18 PM
As the awards were going out I began to wonder how much we could have raised. Honestly I hadn't thought much about the numbers until that point. But watching the competition unfold, I think that Bret and Karl did pretty good. My original goal was to be in the top third, or 18th or better. Last time I was here I finished 24th, just ahead of the 50% mark. But I'm sure I got no points in the autocross, so this will be a tough one. Chris was called up for a top three finish in the 'Style and Design' competition, the highest single event finish for a truck.
When I started competiing with the Silver Bullit F100, not too many people thought that a truck could be a competitor, but that is starting to change thanks to the guys in the Mother Trucker crew. This year all five competing trucks finished in the top 24 spots, so the slowest truck beat half of the field. I'm proud of these guys for what they did. It's not as easy as it looks.
With the Event top winners announced, it was time for the overall. Jimi asked "you want to know how you finished?" Yeah!!! I was expecting a 20 something, but still really excited to know. "15th" Wow, I was shocked. I must have done pretty good on the road coarse and speed stop. Even better than my goal, and that means I beat 40 entries. Still shocked, that's $4000 for WWP!!!!! Jimi then called out Karl Dunn. Karl and the guys from JCG rebuilt the drivetrain in the Mustang in the last two weeks, and this is still a fresh car for Karl to drive. "7th" I could tell Karl was surprised. That's a great finish, those guys earned it. Karl beat 48 entries, it just hit me, we'll be WAY over the 10k goal. "Well Bret, are you ready?" we could tell it was going to be good. I'm not sure where Bret's goal was, but Optima brings out the best, and anything in the top ten is just plain bad ass. "You tied for 3rd!" Bret yelled out loud. That's fantastic. What an achievement. He bested 52 other competitors! I did the math quickly in my head. 5200 + 4800 + 4000 + 2200 (appx from the Pro-Touring dinner) = $16,200.00 Holly crap! I was dizzy. Just that quick Bret tapped me on the shoulder and we were on the stage. I tried to thank everyone that helped out, and again, thank you to everyone who donated and helped with this. I am very greatfull that Optima and Pro-Touring let me share their stage for such a good cause. I had one more card to play. I told everyone about the saving of Jimi Day's AMX at the RTTC three weeks before. How I trailered his car, and let him drive the HellBoy. And how James Crosby worked all night that sunday to repair it so that it was ready for a shoot on monday. "now, what do you think a tow like that is worth?" I joked towards Jimi. He was ready for me. He handed me some folded bills. "I'm glad to have a way to pay you guys back. Here's a thousand bucks for the Wounded Warrior Project". Once again, I was caught off guard. I talked a bit about how anyone can help the active duty soldiers and how thankfull that I was for this opportunity. I asked one last time for donations, and gave Tina my hat. As soon as I gave it to her people started to fill it. Still shocked. The final awards were announced, and congrats to Mark Stielo for the win. It was like a reunion of sorts. You could tell that no one wanted it to be over. As the sun set, Tina had collected another $2300. Our total raised was almost 20,000. We said goodbuy to our friends, some who we won't see until next summer. Down at our end of the pits, the BBQ was on. We loaded our gear, and had a bite to eat. Congrats all around. We have a four hour drive, and are totaly worn out. As much as we wanted to stay, it's time for us to go. All the way home I was tring to remember everything that happened. How would I have placed if I had just one clean run on the autocross? Whatever. I am beside myself. We raised 20k in three days. And seeing these people come together and help out is incredible. I have seen the best in these men. They gave of themselves for the benefit of strangers. I am proud of everyone involved, as you all should be. This is our group. You all did this. And it is amazing.

I'm about done with this story. So post up picts, thoughts comments and stories. I know that my nephew Jason is checkin in to this site to read this, as are guys in his unit. - Keep your head down J -

P.S. Brett came up with the idea of collecting donations for ride alongs at the last few autocross events this year. I got it cleared with GoodGuys, and we went back to work. In Pleasanton, we collected $740, with the help of Mike Maier, Brian Hobaugh, James Crosby and myself. That's a lot of rides. In Scottsdale, the help came from Roger Burman and the crew from Lakeside rods, Cheryl from Jet Hot, Bret from RideTech, Dan Wieshar from Hotchkis, and me. We raised another $460. This weekend is Thanksgiving, and the last GoodGuys show of the year in Del Mar. We'll be at it again and it should be a big turnout. Thanks again to all my friends here, and all that everyone did.

CA B4C
11-19-2012, 10:11 PM

Enjoyed the story, thank you very much

Bryce
11-20-2012, 07:04 AM
Awesome story! Too bad I wont see you at Del Mar

diesel25lrs
11-20-2012, 08:27 PM
Great story- i really enjoyed the read & wish i could have been there! From an active duty Vet & WWP activist myself- Thank you for heading this up & thanks to all who donated!

RobNoLimit
11-26-2012, 12:22 PM
So, maybe that wasn't the end of it. The last show for us was this weekend in Del Mar, Ca. the Good-Guys Fall Nationals. First of all, I don't think Brett was to thrilled that I beat him and the RideTech 33 in Scottsdale, and he was not interested in a repeat. Yes, Brett pulled off the win. How he managed a 54 sec lap I don't know. But, then I got to drive the 33 and ran a 55.6 sec lap, and that's the first time I've ever been in the car. In case you were wondering, it is awesome!! I give Rodney Prouty the 'Hero' award for his driving this weekend. He finished third overall, and gave me a good run for the second spot. It's amazing what he is doing with that car. We're going to have to step it up.
We had 9 Pro Drivers and 4 other good friends willing to help. Tim and Bill we're on hand filling the cars, and collecting donations. Vets rode for free. Cheryl from Jet Hot had the wagon out, and they stuffed it full lap after lap. After the smoke cleared, literally, Brett covered the place on his last lap, the guys counted out another $2700 bucks in donations. Thats a lot of rides!!! Chad Reynolds did a nice presentation at the awards, and the crowd was stunned at the numbers we collected. I don't think our support of the WWP is going away anytime soon. Overall a very enjoyable Thanksgiving with good friends, good racing, and a good cause. Thanks to everyone that helped make this a reality.

bret
11-29-2012, 11:39 AM
I've made literally thousands of laps in the last ten years. I dont remember ever having as much fun as the month of November 2012. I watched hundreds of people stand in line to donate $20 [and some much more] for a ride around the autocross. I watched Cheryl Herrick at Jet Hot positively BEAM while she hauled wagonload after wagonload of soldiers and veterans around the autocross at Scottsdale and Del Mar [and getting faster and faster while she was at it!]. My family and I spent Thanksgiving on the beach at Del Mar with Rob and Tina, Chad and Daphne, and several other friends drinking Turkey instead of eating it. I was privileged to spend a lot of quality time with my friends and help raise a considerable amount of money for a great cause while were at it.
Rob...thanks for inspiring the best month I've had in a long time...and for allowing all of us to participate in your vision. It continues to be an honor.

dontlifttoshift
11-29-2012, 12:03 PM
Class all the way guys.......just f*%&ing awesome!!

Rod
11-29-2012, 01:23 PM
So, maybe that wasn't the end of it. The last show for us was this weekend in Del Mar, Ca. the Good-Guys Fall Nationals. First of all, I don't think Brett was to thrilled that I beat him and the RideTech 33 in Scottsdale, and he was not interested in a repeat. Yes, Brett pulled off the win. How he managed a 54 sec lap I don't know. But, then I got to drive the 33 and ran a 55.6 sec lap, and that's the first time I've ever been in the car. In case you were wondering, it is awesome!! I give Rodney Prouty the 'Hero' award for his driving this weekend. He finished third overall, and gave me a good run for the second spot. It's amazing what he is doing with that car. We're going to have to step it up.
We had 9 Pro Drivers and 4 other good friends willing to help. Tim and Bill we're on hand filling the cars, and collecting donations. Vets rode for free. Cheryl from Jet Hot had the wagon out, and they stuffed it full lap after lap. After the smoke cleared, literally, Brett covered the place on his last lap, the guys counted out another $2700 bucks in donations. Thats a lot of rides!!! Chad Reynolds did a nice presentation at the awards, and the crowd was stunned at the numbers we collected. I don't think our support of the WWP is going away anytime soon. Overall a very enjoyable Thanksgiving with good friends, good racing, and a good cause. Thanks to everyone that helped make this a reality.

Thanks for the VERY kind words brother! As Mary P. always tell me ,its all smoke and mirrors, I will say it was an Great Honor to help with the WWP(My own son just returned from Afganastan). It was great to race with others (Brett and yourself) who just want to have as much fun as I do, because at the end of it all,, win or place, after all we are just driving in circles in cars! And OH yes I am coming after ALL YOU HOT SHOES!! :box2: ha ha ha ha

I've made literally thousands of laps in the last ten years. I dont remember ever having as much fun as the month of November 2012. I watched hundreds of people stand in line to donate $20 [and some much more] for a ride around the autocross. I watched Cheryl Herrick at Jet Hot positively BEAM while she hauled wagonload after wagonload of soldiers and veterans around the autocross at Scottsdale and Del Mar [and getting faster and faster while she was at it!]. My family and I spent Thanksgiving on the beach at Del Mar with Rob and Tina, Chad and Daphne, and several other friends drinking Turkey instead of eating it. I was privileged to spend a lot of quality time with my friends and help raise a considerable amount of money for a great cause while were at it.
Rob...thanks for inspiring the best month I've had in a long time...and for allowing all of us to participate in your vision. It continues to be an honor.

I didnt really know Cheryl (she was mostly my girlfriend Suzy's freind) but she was the most awesome cheer leader in Scottsdale for me! and after spending a couple of weeks and a couple of events with her I will say, she is just an awesome person, just Damn good people. it was great to have so many differant riders for WWP, and that they really got to enjoy the thrill if the ride, every rider I had with me ask if we could win it and I told them every time, "for the next 55 seconds I will try my damn best" and after every run they had HUGE smiles, and I will say that both Bret and yourself (Rob) made me feel welcome at this event as we beat down that track for good times and a great show!

sorry for the thread Hijack, carry on :twothumbs

BlackPearl
11-30-2012, 02:52 PM
Guys thanks for the Hot passengers - LOL! Fun stuff in Del Mar and worthy cause, great job!

Bob

jethot
12-03-2012, 08:40 AM
Hi All:
A GREAT BIG THANK YOU AND HATS OFF to both Rob and Brett! It is a priviliedge to work in an industry with such caring folks. You guys are a class act!

Thank you for providing Jet Hot to opportunity to participate in such a special cause. Count us in ANY time.

On a personal note: All I can say is my eyes still well up when I think of the fun I had with those soldiers in the wagon, what a touching weekend. As the most inexperience "pro-driver" out there, thanks for letting me play too! - Cheryl

RobNoLimit
12-03-2012, 07:26 PM
After some thought I decided to post up the donations list that I have. Many people wanted to remain un-named, so be it. Again, I was really overwhelmed by the response, and only wish I had thought of more ways to get more people involved. As it is, for a last minute idea, everyone involved showed that ouw hobby attracts some of the best people on the planet, and I am humbled to be in the group.
When I made the commitment to to pay $100 for every car I beat, I knew it would cost me, and I had a few days to think about it. I was hoping some would join for $10 or $20 per. When Brett joined me at $100 per, I was really stunned. And when Karl Dunn joined the cause, I was at a loss for words. None of us are really rich, and none in this hobby are poor, but I never expected anyone to join me at that level. Then the others stepped up. As I was being handed donations, I tried to write the names on the donation, but I missed a lot. Here are the ones I got.
Steve Alcalla - $100, Chris "Smitty's" - $100, Buck "T.A" - $100, Detroit Speed - $100, Dueces Wild - $100, Bob Bertelson - $200, Mike Williams - $225, Joe Hinds - $500, Sidney Johnson - $500, Mark Koenigsberger - $100, Ron Schwatrz - $100, Randy Johnson - $100, Chris Jacobs - $100, Brad Coomer - $100, Brian Hobaugh - $100, Scott Call - $100. Chris Gonzalez JCG - $500
At the Pro-Touring dinner the total for donations and auction items was $2974
During the OUSCI awards, I put Jimi Day on the spot, he answered with $1000
Optima OUSCI donatins added $1250

At the last three GoodGuys shows, the drivers helped out a lot.
Mike Maier, Brian Hobaugh, James Crosby, Roger Burman and the Liesinger family from Lakeside Rods, Robert Pierek, Rodney Prouty, Dan Wieshar, Cheryl Herrick, Dennis Russel, Dale Koselowski, Jeff Schwartz, Scott Call, Mike Hickman and Brett Voelkel.
Pleasanton Autocrossers raised $740 - doanted to the local veterans group in Pleasanton
Scottsdale Autocrosseres raised $360 - Tim and Chad were truely missed
Del Mar AutoCrossers raised $2940 - Thats a lot of rides.

I know this isn't everybody, and again, thanks for evrything. You are all a great bunch of people.

P.S. Cheryl did a great job of driving two cars, keeping the seats full, working on her driving, and having some fun.