PDA

View Full Version : Tool Discussion?

Vicinity
11-04-2012, 07:39 AM
So, I'm looking to start my tool collection over (I have a bunch of crappy Stanley stuff I'd like to replace), and I've been using Snap-On lately, and I really love it. Can't really afford it, so I've been looking at USA alternatives. I'm fond of the Black Oxide finish over the polish tools, they feel better in my hand.

So I've been looking at Snapon, Blue Point, Mac, and Matco, all of which are SUPER expensive. I recently came across Armstrong. It meets all my requirements, USA made, black oxide finish (although it seems to be really hard to find a 3/8 ratchet), tear drop head ratchets, etc.

But, I've never used them, do they feel as good and work as good as Snapon type tools? Any other recommendations for lower budget tools?

I have a Craftsman ratchet, but its a round head and has too much slop.

silvermonte
11-04-2012, 10:09 AM
A few years back while I was in the Air Force I worked as a mechanic on fighter jets, at my first base that had a much higher budget for tools I got to use Snap On hand tools, never had a problem with them EVER, my only problem was with how much the government paid for those Snap On tools, it had to of been at least 5x what you would pay a snap on dealer for them, but anyways my 2nd base that I got stationed at was a training base and the Air Force didnt see a need to buy the snap on tools there, we honestly didnt do near the volume of work at that base and as a result I used Armstrong tools there, their sockets worked ok and on occasion I would break the gears inside the ratchets, I would compair them to craftsman stuff.
For my own personal use I have craftsman stuff with Snap On Ratchets, Im kinda at a loss with craftsman stuff anymore, I grew up using craftsman stuff and my fathers tools are ancient, never had a problem and I never broke any of his stuff and to this day they still work like new, any new stuff I buy from craftsman doesnt seem to hold out as well, they prolly out source all of their stuff anymore, i have even cracked sockets into pieces befor, granted i had a bar and a pipe on the socket and thats what broke them, but i did the same with my fathers tools and never had a problem.What I will do from now on is just find a place that sells 100% replacement sockets like craftsman or who ever and just buy quality ratchets.

Vicinity
11-04-2012, 01:31 PM
A few years back while I was in the Air Force I worked as a mechanic on fighter jets, at my first base that had a much higher budget for tools I got to use Snap On hand tools, never had a problem with them EVER, my only problem was with how much the government paid for those Snap On tools, it had to of been at least 5x what you would pay a snap on dealer for them, but anyways my 2nd base that I got stationed at was a training base and the Air Force didnt see a need to buy the snap on tools there, we honestly didnt do near the volume of work at that base and as a result I used Armstrong tools there, their sockets worked ok and on occasion I would break the gears inside the ratchets, I would compair them to craftsman stuff.
For my own personal use I have craftsman stuff with Snap On Ratchets, Im kinda at a loss with craftsman stuff anymore, I grew up using craftsman stuff and my fathers tools are ancient, never had a problem and I never broke any of his stuff and to this day they still work like new, any new stuff I buy from craftsman doesnt seem to hold out as well, they prolly out source all of their stuff anymore, i have even cracked sockets into pieces befor, granted i had a bar and a pipe on the socket and thats what broke them, but i did the same with my fathers tools and never had a problem.What I will do from now on is just find a place that sells 100% replacement sockets like craftsman or who ever and just buy quality ratchets.

That was another thought. I'll just buy the Snapon ratchets then.

Thanks.

XLexusTech
11-04-2012, 02:24 PM
wow I could spend days in this discussion.... but bottomline ... look to purchase the best of the best Key tools ... like Rachets for example.... get the best rachet... sockets... buy good with lifetime warranty...

Chris02rex
11-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Definitely buy something with a lifetime warranty. If you have any friends that are in school or kids of friends in school they may be able to get you student pricing for the snap on or matco stuff. Personally i have always hated snap on due to being the same quality as all the other major tools companies but higher price which is why all my tools are matco.

sniper
11-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Cornwell is a lot cheaper than SO, and I have never had a problem. Grey pneumatic has some really cheap and good quality impact sockets. VIM has a lot of the specialty sockets that I use, like the triple squares, hex, torx and things like that for ridiculously cheap prices.

I think SO has the best rachets and every now and then they will have a killer deal as they did recently. 25" 1/2"dr 80tooth flex head ratchet that is normally $250ish, for a great deal for $90. But it seems rare that they have a good deal.

Heck, craigslist it, and you might find all you need for cheap. My most recent purchase off there was a complete MAC TAP and DIE set with drill bits and extractors for $150. It had one bad tap and the rest was damn near unused. Mac man replaced the broken one for me.

rektek
11-07-2012, 08:50 PM
used snap on is the way to go

toofun
11-08-2012, 04:11 AM
What ever you do stay away from Obama..... thats the worse TOOL out there!...... OK sorry I know it political but I just couldnt help myself.

Mark
TOOFUN