PDA

View Full Version : Syphoning gas?

vette427-sbc
11-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Not exactly a pt emergency but I need some quick help... I've got 3 cars with a quarter tank of gas and would like to just put it all in one car. I have to drive up north for a funeral today and im going to attempt to pick a generator up from ct. There are no gas stations open and the ones that are have 2+hour waits with no telling how much gas they have left. I tried to syphon gas out of my jeep, but I'm reading now that most new cars have something in the neck that prevents syphoning. Any way to get around this?

- from what was the jersey shore

TheJDMan
11-01-2012, 02:02 PM
I just gotta ask, why didn't you fill all your vehicles before the storm? It's not like you had no warning.

vette427-sbc
11-01-2012, 04:31 PM
All cars were filled on Sunday... Been driving around to check on friends and family, pick up supplies and use electronics. Used the gas in the corvette to run a generator for a fee hours

WickedGlassMouseHouse
11-02-2012, 12:27 AM
Syphoning gas, well I think you just need a smaller tube for most new cars because they have a trap door to stop gas from coming up. If you can get the smaller tube down the neck you can syphon, just be careful you do not damage the car when you pull the tube out. If it feels like the tube will not go in don't force it. Good luck, the storm is done so I hope you can get gas as now.

BonzoHansen
11-02-2012, 04:14 AM
Chris, that sucks. My sister is in Brick and had all sorts of trouble getting gas. We seem to have gas out here in Hamilton, most stations are back online, for the most part. what I don't know is what's going on between us.

Maybe you can disconnect a fuel line and power the pump?

Not sure the armchair quarterback comments are needed.

LUV2XLR8
11-02-2012, 04:43 AM
correct... most of the new-er vehicles have an anti-syphon valve.... the way i used to do it... shove a long peice of 1/4 inch fuel line down into the tank as far as you can... take the air hose and blow it past the tip of the hose to create a vacume... that way you dont have to french kiss the hose... try that ... but i'm not sure how much luck you'll have :/

BonzoHansen
11-02-2012, 05:08 AM
Here is an updated NJOEM Mapping website of stations

http://blog.entchev.com/2012/11/01/map-of-operational-new-jersey-gas-stations-after-hurricane-sandy----november-1-2012.aspx

i know there are more open around here

Twentyover
11-02-2012, 05:38 AM
Could you pull the schrader valve from the fuel rail pressure tap and jump the fuel pump relay ground and pump the gasoline out?

vette427-sbc
11-02-2012, 06:01 AM
I tried disconnecting the fuel line on a drag car at my shop... It's carbd so it was regulated to 7psi... Sprayed fuel everywhere when I kicked the pump on so I don't think I want to try that on a 40+psi fuel rail. I like the 1/4" hard line with the air line over it to siphon... I got a mouth/face full of gas yesterday from the vette and I definitely don't want to do that again. Thanks for the tips guys! Hopefully the gas situation goes back to normal soon

BonzoHansen
11-02-2012, 07:16 AM
Chris, try this map

http://google.org/crisismap/2012-sandy

SS PUNISHER
11-02-2012, 08:20 AM
I disconnect the fuel line and let the pump do the work. Same for a mechanical pump, kinda, pull the coil wire and crank away. If its got a mechanical pump it probably doent have the anti syphon crap so you can use the fuel line and air trick already mentioned. A spare inline pump works great for syphoning also. No sense in inhaling gas if you don't have to

Twentyover
11-02-2012, 08:51 AM
I knew I couldn't be the only guy using the fuel pump to empty the tank...

79-TA
11-02-2012, 05:58 PM
You should never ever have to suck on the hose to siphon gas! Yes, that applies even when you have nothing but yourself and a hose.

Try this:
- place your hand on the end of the hose so that you can cover and uncover the end with your thumb
- with the end open, push the hose down as far as you can
- once the hose has been pushed down, place your thumb on the opening to seal it
- pull the hose up
- simultaneously release your thumb and push the hose back down and repeat the process. You have to be a little bit quick with the last step, but it isn't that hard.

This makes for kind of a natural pumping motion. I've done it several times and it works quite well. Don't ever suck on a gas hose again.

sr73bu
11-03-2012, 06:16 AM
I just gotta ask, why didn't you fill all your vehicles before the storm? It's not like you had no warning.

Really?? Why would you even chime in with some BS like that??? We have 4 hour + lines of gas in this state right now, for a storm that happened almost a week ago... of course people are running low on fuel... i had work all week and so did most of the state, therefore the tank i filled the day before the storm is pretty much gone....

Hope you made out ok Chris, if I was closer I'd help....

-Sean

gak68
11-03-2012, 07:31 AM
I knew I couldn't be the only guy using the fuel pump to empty the tank... I do it all the time if I know that something is going to be sitting. I think that is the best way for you to get your gas out. My old chevy truck is regulated to 7psi on a -6 line, I just put the hose in my VP gas jug and flip the switch, I even emptied my fuel injected chevy truck that way with the fuel pump test wire in the underhood fuse box and that has 60 psi as long as the hose is far enough in the jug you should be all set.

And god bless everything is ok for you when this next supposed storm is supposed to be hitting you. You guys are taking a beating.

vette427-sbc
11-03-2012, 08:45 AM
Thanks again guys...
Christian and Dan (cpstang24 and the_dan) were generous enough to "import" a generator and 20 gals of gas to me from CT for my house. I managed to find a gas station this morning with a very short line to top off my tank too so that was nice. My shop has power now so that is good to hopefully start getting business back in here. Bills dont seem to care that we have had no business for a week :squint:
Good luck to everyone else effected and if theres anyone in the middletown nj area in need of some help feel free to message me and Ill see how I can help out :cheers:

gak68
11-03-2012, 11:39 AM
If you are really in need for gas this might be a helpful tip. Last years ice storm had my town without power for a week and since there was no power, we had no gas. What I realized though was the local airport is powered by backup generators, so I could buy 100 low lead gas, it's expensive, but if you need it for generators and such you can get it and most people don't know about it.