PDA

View Full Version : When to paint

icemanrd19
10-28-2012, 09:30 PM
I'm looking for feedback when you think it's time for paint when building a car from the ground up. Do you prefer.to install and disassemble every single piece of the car before painting or do you just wait to make sure all the outside metal work is finished?

Right now I'm just waiting to buy my engine and transmission so I can check for tunnel clearance. Would u then paint the car knowing you have yet to mock up an exhaust, brake system onto the firewall, seats, or even the vintage air bulkhead connector all parts that I still need to buy? :willy:

I'm trying to spread out the cost some so I'm buying in 5 phases that I still have left

Paint
ls2/t56,
brake system,
seats, vintage air,
Exhaust, misc parts

HotRod47
10-29-2012, 07:31 AM
Personally I would want to have the entire car mocked up, with everything installed. All holes drilled, brackets welded, door gaps fitted etc. Then blow the car apart for final paint. You will find that is the way the pros do it, and they do that way for a reason.

Good luck.

oestek
10-29-2012, 09:46 AM
Yes, and don't forget to fit ALL the trim, window trim, lights, bezels, mirrors, door handles, etc., in addition to the rest of the hard parts. And, build the car with weather strip in place! Nothing is more aggravating then a door that won't close because of new weather stripping and it's too late to adjust because of paint. Or to find the windshield trim does not fir like you wanted, and you just scratched up the paint trying to fit it.

icemanrd19
10-29-2012, 04:48 PM
so it would be fine to paint the gaps and underside of the car but the final outside paint wait till the last thing?

92awdtsi
11-01-2012, 02:49 PM
so it would be fine to paint the gaps and underside of the car but the final outside paint wait till the last thing?

what we do at work is put the entire car together. Make sure all gaps are good etc. Then take everything back apart (hood, fenders, doors, trunk etc) paint the backs and jambs. Put everything back together and make sure gaps are good. (this should be the final fitment of the panels and they should not have to come off again) Do your final sanding if there is any overspray and start painting.

gillkustomz
11-08-2012, 11:51 PM
This is what I am doing...I have already painted the the passenger compartment, trunk, firewall, undercarriage and had the sub frame powder coated and now I will install the fuel/brake lines and suspension so I can get the car rolling. Once it is rolling, I will tow it to a local body shop and have it check on a frame machine to ensure the body is 100% square; I want to make sure the body hasn't twisted due to torque since it is a uni body car and if the body is off by even 3 mm, body parts will be difficult to align. Then I will do the mock up and install everything except for trim pieces and complete the body work...Paint should be the final step prior to final assembly. ***Make as many notes as possible for realignment of the fenders, hood, etc to assist with the assembly procedure after paint.