PDA

View Full Version : Bootleggers

samuel good
10-24-2012, 02:50 PM
Were bootlegger's cars the first Pro Tourinhttps://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2012/10/051000_02z201940_ford_tudor_coupe20side_-1.jpgg cars?

pinky49
10-24-2012, 06:09 PM
i'd have to say hell yes!!!

HarleyR
11-05-2012, 05:11 PM
No,they were the cars that would eventually become NASCAR..

ih8z28s
11-05-2012, 05:18 PM
They were built for speed and to turn left AND right, Nascar only goes left.

HarleyR
11-06-2012, 02:30 PM
NASCAR goes left 34 races a year... the other 2 they go right and left... the cars along with the people who drove them became NASCAR

rustomatic
11-07-2012, 01:44 PM

vanzuuk1
11-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Dig that !

GrabberGT
11-08-2012, 07:37 AM
I can see your point but I just cant make the connection. Bootleggers spawned NASCAR. Our cars are fashioned like modern street ready SCCA Trans-Am series racers. Take the oval racers out of the picture and it works a whole lot better.

MonzaRacer
11-08-2012, 09:05 AM
ctually bootleg cars helped spawn most OTHER forms of raciong over straight line racing. There are "records" legends actually like Junior Johnson nad others who WHERE shine runners turned racers. What started racing was that the runners would tune and dial up thier cars to beat revenuers or tax men, and cops. MOST shine cars had higher than normal rear stance from carrying all the shine IN car. larger than normal tires, ie stiffer tires had more grip in nylon, bias tires and came wider for more grip.
Also they would have multiple forms of shine at places and if two drivers showed up some would say they were better. Legend has it on nightclub/honky tonk/bar had a dirt circle tracl where bikes raced and two or three locaql delivery drivers would "race" after weeks delivery. After a time many others all got into competetion. similar to hot rodders out west that got into straight line racing as there where large amounts of straight desert and fields and roads. you got hills and hollers in country, not lot of long stretches SO in a circle OR around lots of curves and such like old winding roads like bikers love to play on.
Where NASCAR came from was to keep the drivers from killing each other either with guns OR cars. This is where people became organized and it became a viable sport, namely cause people would come to see jalopies race as well as runner cars. Eventually the runners would build purpose built race cars as most people developed going counter clockwise becasue it allows easier timing, If you try to time two circles going same direction its hard, but many people can develop ambidextrous eyesight, similar to looking through a rifle scope with both eyes open, as cars go one way , stop watch goes the other. Also remember glasses were not real cheap way back so there WERE people who had split vision near sighted in one eye and far or normal in others. Remember moncles were made before glasses.
Reason ,most people only had one REAL bad eye. BUT some of these people make good timers.
Lots of things helped but basically its same reason two guy race from one point to another or around little orange cones, or from a standing start. WE compete. its nature.

Actually as GrabbetGT said our sport or form of car comes from wanting to LOOK more stock yet handle and perform more like SCCA or other forms of racing that ROAD race, but then some of us can sit in a car and enjoy music AND A/C and power steering and going around corners in country roads with good pavement.
BUT lots of track racing can be led back to bootleggers,, as well as alcoholism, bad country music, marrying an ugly woman/man and unintended pregnanacies. Oh and many families with former jailbirds as grand parents,great grandparents, uncles,etc.
But the also the antis for drinking alcohol can even go back too blaming alcohol but like my grnadfather said God gave us one of the most useful medicines around, alcohol as all it takes is some sugar, water and yeast and you can make alcohol and if properly made you get a cut and its dirty,,, cleran it with alcohol.
We I prefer to use ethanol in my engine , for fuel, love me some of that. AND now with NASCAR using it in E85 I love that,,,, real cool stuff. Cheap to make, 105 octane and less oil contamination in my performance engine.

GrabberGT
11-08-2012, 09:13 AM
Great info. Thanks