PDA

View Full Version : t56 problems

ls1olds
08-01-2005, 11:30 PM
my trans am grinds going into second when i am accelerating really hard... could that be the clutch line? and it occasionally grinds going into 3rd which i now just avoid and go right to 4th because its so annoying....i heard this could be the 3-4 shift assembly, possibly the steel fork or something...is that a possibility?

Ralph LoGrasso
08-01-2005, 11:39 PM
Jordy!!! Your'e back.... On the 3rd gear grinding, I've heard of a lot of people having the 3rd gear synchro go bad, it seems to be a common problem on these cars.

CAMAROBOY69
08-02-2005, 03:37 AM
Ralph is right. When I had my 1996 FIrebird Formula it didnt take much abuse before 3rd gear syncros went out. Eventually it got to the point where if I had it in 3rd gear and took a corner hard it would pop out of 3rd. Good thing I had warranty. Got a brand new tranny for only $100 fully installed. :)

andrewb70
08-02-2005, 03:46 AM
Before you assume that it is a big problem, make sure your clutch is adjusted properly. If the clutch is not disengaging all the way when you try to shift, then that will cause a gring going into gear. The other problem that people almost never pay attention to is clutch OVER travel. If your MC is too big, the the spring fingers are actually going over center, then the TO bearing will actually cause the clutch to engage. This is more common then people think.

One way to check for proper clutch disengagement is to check the air gap between the disk and the pressure plate when the clutch pedal is pressed. Most clutch manufacturers will have a desired spec. Sometimes there is no window in the bellhousing, so you can check another way. With the car securely in the air and NOT running, have a friend start attempting to turn the driveshaft by hand as you press the clutch pedal. Pay attention to the possition of your clutch pedal when the driveshaft can be turned by hand. Go another 1-1.5 inches down with the pedal and that will get you approximately to the point of where the clutch is fully released, but not over traveled. If you have another 2-3 inches of pedal travel left, then you may indeed may have been over traveling the clutch. If that is the case then you can fabricate an adjustable pedal stop or get a smaller bore MC.

If all that checks out, the you can pull the trans and start replacing synchros.

Andrew

GUS68
08-02-2005, 05:23 PM
Hey guys!!! I would have to say it is in the syncros and probably the stupid plastic shift fork pads are broke. Yes a clutch problem would cause it to grind BUT It sounds like the other gears are OK.

ls1olds
08-17-2005, 09:05 PM
the others gears are fine with the exception of second at 5000 rpm. stupid synchros...stupid transmission...stupid poor me with no money. i want to buy one that has been rebuilt with better internals. any suggestions? and that wont be for a long while. what is the best fluid i can put in it for now?

Jordy