PDA

View Full Version : airbag / spring rate and mounting location using C4 front suspension on a 66 nova

ls1chevy2
08-01-2005, 01:14 PM
Airbag / spring rate and mounting location using C4 front suspension on a 66 nova

Using a C4 front suspension, I welded a .5" thick 4" wide plate just inside the the stock spring location.

With a 50/50 weight distribution 1500 pounds up front.

Where would you mount the bag for performance.

Farther in would give me a softer ride and more travel.

Farther out would lose travel and the ride would become much stiffer.

I'm thinking with the tire having 2. inches of front spacing and 6 inches of back spacing this puts the end point 1 inch inside the ball joint.

The half way point between the ball joint and where it mounts to the K-member should be a good spot.

I cant go any farther outward because the bag would rub the shocks.

for spring rate look at http://www.slamspecialties.com/ I have the RS -62 bag

5 inches and 80 psi should get me where I need to be.

Travis B
08-01-2005, 01:23 PM
As long as it as the desired ride height the air spring will preform porperly and the way it was designed! As far as where to mount it i would put where ever it doesn't rub or create problems!

ls1chevy2
08-01-2005, 01:37 PM
Thats not true at all, (well maybe if your only worried about show and no go)

My last nova http://www.geocities.com/yoshimorgan/workinonthecar.html

was a harsh ride they were way to stiff the thing would corner on rails but hit a bump and you felt that thing.

I just thought someone in here might have or is going the same route that I am. and would have sugestions on placement.

I could also set it to ride height add and inch spacer then lower it to ride height and it would have more downward travel and less upward travel. there is way more factors than just ride height

Travis B
08-01-2005, 02:22 PM
we have a woody the one in my avatar that has c4 front and rear with air on front and rear......it rides great and handles great! The chassis was setup by a chassis before we got the car I will look at it tonight and where they placed them....! on hte front we usually use kits from airride or bag cups from another source! but I know know one makes anything for C4 stuff really so you don't have anything to go off of! I will look tonight...............

all show no go huh!OK

ls1chevy2
08-01-2005, 07:38 PM
It just seems hard to find any articles that talk about how to set them up for perfomance.

I'll probably just make the mounting locations adjustable in and out and add spacers for the road and take them out for corner carving.

Travis B
08-02-2005, 06:18 AM
That was actually what I was going to suggest.....could you make a upper and lower plate with tabs on them and basically mount it like coil over and make the upper and lower adjustable!!!!! or maybe make the upper point pivot and the lower adjustable in and out....Hmmmmmm

Tony@airridetech is pretty dam knowledgable on air suspension stuff and there is a company called progressive auto that builds chassis with C4 front and rear both on air!

http://www.progressiveautomotive.com/

ls1chevy2
08-02-2005, 06:40 AM
Ok here is my idea. have 3 sets mounting hole's spaced an inch apart, the farthest inboard being the softest(for drag racing) the mid's (road) and the outer ones (stifness) cornering.

I have some 4 in thick ploy solid rod that I can cut waifers out of. I plan just mounting these on the top to keep un sprung weight down to a minimum.
A good scenario where these would come into use, would be drag racing. add 2 inches of spacers then lower back to ride height, now you have lots of downward travel to help with weight tranfer.

bag access is easy also just raise car with bag. Then insert jack stand or block. Release pressure take out bolts insert spacers and compensating longer bolts. 5 or 10 minutes per side tops.

Coilovers might take you longer
using a knuckle busting coilover adjuster.