PDA

View Full Version : Project "Out of Control' 1961 Impala

tomy2tone01
10-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Here we go. Lets start out with this is my 61 Impala bubbletop nicknamed "Out of Control". This was Telly's old bubble. So we all know I started out with something decent.

Comes to today and this post:

I am in the process of protouring this car. I have an LS 2 with a 4LE70 auto tranny. I am going to be using a Ford 9" posi with 4 something gears. I already have Corvette Z06 Calipers with crossdrilled and slotted rotors. All teamed up with KORE 3. There are still alot of missing pieces from this puzzle. What about shocks?

Here is my major question. This is a question for all including suppliers......

I am looking at Hotchkiss 2269 or 2268 Sport suspension....
1813 or 1820 Dual VS Single rear suspension package
1113L Lower Tubular A Arms
1113U Upper Tubular A Arms
This is serious setup. My question is What are my options? What do other suppliers have that is the same or better? Who has the best bang for the buck.

Let me know what you think....

Thanks
Tom

bret
10-11-2012, 02:32 AM
The first question is always, what are you going to do with the car 80% of the time? This will tell us what type of suspension to recommend.
Since 1996, we've likely done more Impala suspensions than everyone else put together. They actually respond quite nicely to bolt on modifications, especially air suspension.

tomy2tone01
10-11-2012, 05:10 AM
The first question is always, what are you going to do with the car 80% of the time? This will tell us what type of suspension to recommend.
Since 1996, we've likely done more Impala suspensions than everyone else put together. They actually respond quite nicely to bolt on modifications, especially air suspension.

I don't plan racing it. My vision is just to have a great riding car. I would like the ride height lower but not too low.

I hate speed bumps.

bret
10-11-2012, 07:56 AM
This car was made for air suspension. You and your buddy can install a basic system in 5-6 hours [with compressor system] at a cost of around $2400.
http://www.ridetech.com/store/1959-1964-chevy-impala-level-1.html
I would add the front and rear swaybars to that package, and possibly upgrade to the AirPod compressor system if you so desire and your budget allows.
Keep the stock control arms and spindles...make sure the bushings and ball joints are good. Get a set of disc brakes for the front.
At stock ride height the Impala suspension geometry is not the most conducinve for extreme handling, but the lower the car gets the better the front geometry gets. The OEM Impalas ride like a worn out couch...the lower stance and progressive spring rate of the air suspension turns the car into a new...well, not a new Corvette, but at least a new Impala!.

Here is a video comparison on an A body [I know its not an Impala, but its as close as I could get right now] http://www.ridetech.com/tv/2010/11/ridetech-3-hour-suspension-install/

Expect your Impala ride quality and handling improvement to be comparable.

...and if you want to put the car on the track...well, we can accommodate that as well :) http://www.ridetech.com/store/1959-1964-chevy-impala-level-3.html