PDA

View Full Version : Booster/Master?? for C5 front/ LS1 rear on 1970 Chevelle

wade70ss
10-10-2012, 07:16 AM
I spent all night til 1am reading though thread after thread. There's a lot of very good info here. :cool:

Just looking for some directed towards my application.

I have a 1970 Chevelle with power disc/drum that I'm swapping to C5/LS1 brakes. I daily drive this and would like a good brake feel/effort.

Which booster/master do you recommend. I want this to be easily serviceable if replacement is necessary down the road. I'd like to go for a 1" bore master.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hifi875
10-10-2012, 07:30 AM
Ck w dse. Thats where I got mine and it works perfect w my ls brakes

ryeguy2006a
10-10-2012, 07:55 AM
I used a factory C3 Corvette MC with manual brakes. It bolted on and I have great petal feel. You do need to buy/make a spacer for the MC as it has the deep hole rather than the shallow hole for use with power brakes. Best part was the MC was 12 bucks at Autozone.

Good luck,
Ryan

wade70ss
10-11-2012, 05:14 PM
I appreciate the input but really want power assist as I have zero experince in a manual brake performance car.

I really wanted something I could source via GM or NAPA if necessary for replacement. I saw a guy bracket up a C5 booster/master on a 2nd gen camaro and wouldn't mind that on my car but haven't seen it done yet. Or at least documented.

Anyone running something like this? C5 or LS1 booster/master ? What porportioning porportioning valve would I need?

66larkgs
10-11-2012, 05:27 PM
i run c5 set up front and rear with a c5 master cylinder. i run a booster from 70 chevelle. i machined the end of the master cylinder because the length from the flange to end of the master is a hair to long.

66larkgs
10-11-2012, 05:31 PM
66102 you can see it in the background. if you want tomorrow i can take some pictures for you. i have another new one in the box i still have to return. i can take any measurements you need and try to help with any uncertainess

wade70ss
10-12-2012, 04:21 AM
you can see it in the background. if you want tomorrow i can take some pictures for you. i have another new one in the box i still have to return. i can take any measurements you need and try to help with any uncertainess

Hey that looks pretty good!

So what all did you have to modify on the master to bolt it up? Is the bolt pattern the same? What did you use to machine down the backside of the master? (I don't have a mill at my disposal) HA!

Second question: What did you use for the proportioning valve/distribution block?

Overall question: How well does it all work for you?

Olav
10-13-2012, 10:45 AM
http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74546

Master Cylinder

The master cylinder is one of the key components to the swap. The master cylinder that I used was a 1983-1990 S-10 master cylinder AC Delco part number 18M310. It has a 15/16” bore so it works well for the application by increasing the line pressure. The only issue is that the end of the master cylinder that fits into the stock Camaro power brake booster does not fit exactly. This problem can be remedied by turning down the diameter of that end. After the master cylinder slips into the power booster unit, make sure the pushrod is long enough to reach the master cylinder and perform its full duty. I did not have a problem with this, but it is a good idea to check.

From this point you will have to make new brakes lines from the master cylinder to the old lines and the proportioning valve.

I have also heard that a master cylinder out of a fourth generation 1993-2002 Camaro will work without any modifications. This again, is what I have heard not what I know.