PDA

View Full Version : 67 mustang rear end width?

justin51986
10-09-2012, 07:32 AM
I am in the market for a 9" rear for my Mustang, I found one local, but am unsure if it will work for my car. I have 67 coupe that I am mini tubbing, and have the TCI 3 link rear suspension, can I use the 50" housing without getting into my frame? I know this is probably a dumb question, but i'm still learning all this suspension/drivetrain stuff. always been a body man and am trying to self-teach myself the rest. thanks for any insight!!

67 Fastback
10-09-2012, 11:02 AM
A 67 is 59 1/4 inches.

Bill

justin51986
10-09-2012, 11:22 AM
I understand that, but I am mini tubbing it and need a narrower rear end, I am asking if 50 is too narrow, or if it will work. thanks for your help though

67 Fastback
10-09-2012, 12:17 PM
I can measure that for you. But, I'd think 50 is gonna be really close.

Bill

TheJDMan
10-09-2012, 04:34 PM
I think you are asking a question that cannot be accurately answered due to a number of variable not the least of which is your wheel/tire size and back space.

The better proceedure would be to select your wheel/tire combo first and once you have your mini-tubs installed you can mock the wheels in the position you want them under the car. With the wheels in position under the car you measure the distance between the two wheel mount surfaces(WMS) which will give you the needed width of your rear end. Once you have determined the WMS to WMS distance you can order a housing exactly as you need it from any number of vendors such as Moser, Strange, TheGMR, etc. If you have a question on what WMS means, read Jason's thread here. https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?93536-What-is-the-WMS-measurement-(Wheel-Mount-Surface)

OR, you can go to a junk yard and find a rusty old rear end that is close and hope it won't require hours of reworking to make it work.

The GMR
10-09-2012, 06:23 PM
justin51986 - when you mention a 50 inch housing what measurement are you talking about?

(Steve - TheJDMan) posted up a link to a good section that will help you with the numbers.

I assume you are talking about a flanged axle rear end (semi-floater) and that the 50 is the flange width. If so then you will end up in the 54.75-55 range for axle flange to axle flange width. Which means WMS of about 55.5 ish....
Let me know if you have any questions.

Jason

justin51986
10-09-2012, 11:06 PM
yeah, it's the flange width I was talking about, all it is is a housing, no internals. I really wanted to just order a whole new 9" from strange, but now I have a baby on the way and am buying a bigger house (with an awesome garage lol) so I have to make some budget cuts somewhere.

Thanks for the fast responses! I love how much people are willing to help strangers out on this site!!