PDA

View Full Version : Do you let your fan run after shutoff....

ponjohn
08-01-2005, 09:27 AM
and your electric waterpump? I was considering an industrial realy with a timer built in to let wp and fan run for 3 minutes after shutoff.

ProTeal55
08-01-2005, 01:45 PM
Hey ,

I think it all depends on how hot your car runs .

My last big project car was a 11:1 comp. 502 , huge Be-Cool radiator, Mezzerie 55GPM Electric water pump, etc and the car never saw anything past 180 on the t-stat. So with that setup , I had no need to run the water pump & fan after the car was parked.

A few of my friends who have full blown racecars run the w.pump & fans after each pass to cool the motor faster in-between rounds , but I really don't see the need on a "street driven" car.

Just my 2cents....

rocketrod
08-01-2005, 01:57 PM
Hey ,

I think it all depends on how hot your car runs .

My last big project car was a 11:1 comp. 502 , huge Be-Cool radiator, Mezzerie 55GPM Electric water pump, etc and the car never saw anything past 180 on the t-stat. So with that setup , I had no need to run the water pump & fan after the car was parked.

I agree. I see no need to run the fans or water pump after shutdownfor a street driven car with an adequate cooling system.

CAMAROBOY69
08-02-2005, 03:27 AM
I never let my fans run. Especially since it is never over 160 anyway with the Mark VIII fan installed.

ponjohn
08-02-2005, 03:37 AM
That does it, no run after. I'll see how hot the car runs-it shouldnt- 462 Pontiac (71 ventura) with griffin al. rad.

CAMAROBOY69
08-02-2005, 03:39 AM
The ONLY time I could understand someone running the fan with the engine shut off would be at the drag strip between runs to get the car cooled off as soon as possible so it was cool befor the next run. Other than that. No. If your car does get warm with your set up. All I need to say is Mark VIII fan. :)

ProTeal55
08-02-2005, 06:13 AM
I am 100% sold on the Be-Cool dual Spal fan setup. Comes with two high-output fans , allready in a shroud.
Had that on my last car , and moved more than enough air. When the 55 gets a new motor , i will def. purchase them again...

CAMAROBOY69
08-02-2005, 06:19 AM
I am 100% sold on the Be-Cool dual Spal fan setup. Comes with two high-output fans , allready in a shroud.
Had that on my last car , and moved more than enough air. When the 55 gets a new motor , i will def. purchase them again...
How much is that fdual fan set up? The majority of us go the Mark VIII route because the fan is only around $160.00 and pushes over 4,000cfm.

MarkM66
08-02-2005, 06:27 AM
Definitally not.

Not sure why, but I've seen a few street rod guys that do. I think it's just out of stupidity. I guess they have them hook to constant power, and to a thermostat, only to shut off when the engine goes below that set temp. Well if that thermostat is in the block, it's going to take a very long time to cool down. I've been at shows, car pulls in, shut car off, fan continues to run. End of day, guy tries to start car, car wont start because the battery is dead. Dumb ass!!! LOL

teamplex65
08-02-2005, 07:16 AM
Guess Im a dumbass,

Mine runs for 15 minutes or so after I stop (a little less if I open the hood, and it helps keep that air flowing over the motor after you stop. Ive never had a problem starting after I stop (dual Optima batteries).

My Pontiac does run a little warm, and I have thought about an aftermarket water pump to pump a little more while driving. It helps keep the paint on the motor because 90% of the damage done to paint on your block is after the air stops flowing and it sits and bakes off. So far the paint is flawless and it is just regular automotive paint.

I figure if it came with the option to continue cooling after I stop, then where is the harm in letting it do it?

Steve

ProTeal55
08-02-2005, 11:01 AM
If you are in the market for a electric water pump , I would go with the Mezzerie "Big-Gulp" water pump. Flows 55 GPH , and has a long motor life. Much better than CSI. Those pumps are garbage...

On my last car , i went thru tons of cooling issues , and tried pretty much all of the products , and different cooling combos.

I found the Mezzerie water pump , and the dual spal fans to be the best setup , along with the largest Alum. Be-Cool radiator you can find. Water Wetter from Red Line also makes a difference on the cooling factor.

The spal setup isn't cheap , but is well worth the $$ if you ask me...
I had my fans for three years , in constant use , and they never gave me any trouble...

Van B
08-02-2005, 05:14 PM
I agree. Shouldn't be needed with a street car with adequate cooling. My co-driver with the race car would like to leave the ignition on and fan running when coming in off the track when it was hot out. Until I pointed out that he was not doing much good since the water was no longer circulating through the engine.

With an electric water pump, I can see benefit, but it would be better to address cooling system shortcomings first.

Just my $.02.

Blown353
08-02-2005, 05:25 PM
I originally wired mine to run even when the engine shut off. All it took for me to re-wire it was one time coming back to my car on a 105 degree day and finding out that the fans ran the battery down so far the starter would only click.

Wire them to only come on with the ignition, or if you want them to run after shut down get a delay timer from GM so the fans will only run 2-3 minutes maximum after shutdown. GM used these timers on 3rd gen F-bodies and Buick Grand Nationals / T-types. However, they can fail, and when they do the fans will run until the battery is drained.

ponjohn
08-04-2005, 03:57 PM
I've been thinking about this and I think operating temps are only half the battle. One must consider heat soak and under hood temps.

Abb in a 55 chev might run at 180 but with an engine compart that big under hood temps and heat soak are prob minimal. Put a small block in a vega and the heat soak and under hood temps are prob high.

ProTeal55
08-09-2005, 03:57 PM
Heat soak is not a major concern for the guy who drives his car to a show , and doesnt get back into his car for hours at a time. If my car is running cool while actually driving , I could really care less if it gets hotter while parked....

If youa re worried about heatsoak , then i would say the best thing to do is have your fans wired to a thermo-stat switch. This will allow the fans to come on and off at a certain temp.

If you do this , get a good battery ...
I would say a yellow or red top Optima.
This way if the fans do malfunction , and run the bettery down, the car still has a good chance of turning over..