PDA

View Full Version : clearance issue

BigBracewell
07-31-2005, 09:49 PM
Since I am wanting to lower the rear of my car I figured I should first crawl underneath it and check out my options and see how much room I have. While under the car I noticed something that is quite bothersome. My body or axle is causing different clearance measurements on each side of the car. on the driver side I have 1 and 11/16" between the tire and fender, giving me a decent amount of room above the tire for the body to come down. But on the passenger side there is only 13/16" between the tire and fender, leaving no room about the tire to lower. The reason it affects the room above the tire is because of the curve in the fender well. I believe it is because of the body, but have no idea what is causing it or how to fix this. Here is a quick diagram I made to give you an idea of what Im talking about.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

baz67
08-01-2005, 04:07 AM
What chassis is this on?

TA219
08-01-2005, 05:09 AM
How old are the leaf springs ?

BigBracewell
08-01-2005, 05:38 PM
this is a 1969 plymouth roadrunner.

I believe these are the original leaf springs, but i dont see how this would make a difference. The body is not sitting lower on one side, the tires just do not have the same clearance on the sides. The reason i stated there is no clearance above the passenger tire is because of the angle of the fender well curve, not because the body is sitting lower on the tire.

USAZR1
08-01-2005, 07:28 PM
Sounds like the body has shifted on the frame. You can correct this by loosening up the frame mounts and "bumping" the body over to get it centered again.

BigBracewell
08-01-2005, 08:04 PM
I didnt know that the body bolts where adjustible. I figured it was like my truck where the frame had a hole just big enough for the bolt and the body had one just big enough for the bolt. I guess I could give that a try.

zero g
08-02-2005, 03:12 PM
The Road Runner is unit body construction. It is not unusual for Mopars to have varying clearances. Ma Mopar's quality control was not the best.

USAZR1
08-02-2005, 03:48 PM
The Road Runner is unit body construction. It is not unusual for Mopars to have varying clearances. Ma Mopar's quality control was not the best.

Sorry,I thought it had a full frame.

zbugger
08-02-2005, 04:28 PM
Well, that's not an uncommon problem. We second gen Camaro owners have a very similar issue.

BigBracewell
08-02-2005, 06:16 PM

So do you know of any way to fix this. I am assuming this means I cant do it by just loosening the body bolts and bumping it over like it was stated above.

kmcanally
08-02-2005, 07:07 PM
maybe one of the qpanels have been replaced before?

zero g
08-03-2005, 05:12 PM
The body is welded to the frame, no bolts there.........could have been wrecked and repaired/replaced 1/4. The frame could be bent...........As far as fixing it, take it to a body shop to see if the frame is bent or you could weld on new spring perches to center the rear under it if it bothers you that much, or just tub it. It very likely came from the factory like that.