PDA

View Full Version : Which auto to man swap, ATS or Classic?

sfpaintball
07-31-2005, 08:58 PM
I've got a 68 camaro and took out the 350/powerglide a few weeks ago.

I got a deal on a zz4, now I'm looking to do an auto/manual swap.

Which kit is the most complete, easiest to install, and reliable in a street driven car?

Hurst - Jeff
08-01-2005, 07:45 AM
sfpaintball-
I know you are looking for independent opinions but I could not resist. If you decide on a 6-speed go with ATS - that is what they do.
If you decide on 5-speed, CC5S would be a good choice.
I would say that if a .64 overdrive is enough overdrive for you, the 5-speed is would p[robably be best for variuos reasons (cost, easy install, etc.)
If you need/want 2 overdrives then go with the 6-speed.
Thanks for your consideration.

CAMAROBOY69
08-01-2005, 08:16 AM
I have a 6 speed and I used the ATS kit. Works real well for me. :)
Tyler has several kits available now to choose from.

toofun
08-01-2005, 10:52 AM
OK,

I have a t-56 with all the goodies needed to make the complete Auto to manual swap to a t-56 six speed for alot less than the others charge. Check it out in the for sale section. My plans have changed but you will save yourself a boat load of money going with my setup over any t-56 or 5 speed kit!! Also, the six speed gearing is an awesome setup and the hydraulics make the shifting smooth as silk!! It was just listed today. Give me a call if you want to talk about it. 978-479-8319

Mark
TOOFUN

Mkelcy
08-01-2005, 02:41 PM
I've got a 68 camaro and took out the 350/powerglide a few weeks ago.

I got a deal on a zz4, now I'm looking to do an auto/manual swap.

Which kit is the most complete, easiest to install, and reliable in a street driven car?

Assuming you want a six speed, do a search in this forum on "mcleod adapter". The basics are that Mcleod Industries sells an adpater plate, Muncie input shaft bearing retainer on which the throw-out bearing rides, and extended pilot bushing that adapts an LS1 T56 to a SBC as a bolt-in for about $225. You can then use the clutch, flywheel and 26 spline clutch disk of your choice for your ZZ4 and the '68 factory manual clutch linkage. (I assume the ZZ4 block has the Z-bar mounting whole cast in and machined. If not forget all this and go with the ATS kit.) You will also need a clutch and brake pedal assembly, a cross member and a shortened drive shaft.

I used the ATS crossmember, but had to drill new holes in my subframe bcause the standard bellhousing/adapter plate puts the trasmission mounting point farther back in the car than the full ATS kit with either the LS1 or the LT1 aluminum bellhousing. I had a local shop shorten and rebuild my driveshaft based on my meaurements.

The thing I like about the adapter plate set up is you can use an adjustable manual clutch linkage, a scattershield bellhousing and an all heim joint clutch linkage which is very smooth. I just don't like hydraulic clutch linkages when a manual linkage is easily available. Call me old school.

Good luck. YMMV.

sfpaintball
08-01-2005, 02:59 PM
Mkelcy - Yeah, I understand that point. I'm keeping a carb on that motor and not doing any major suspension changes (IRS) b/c I want my car to still feel like a 68 camaro. Otherwise I woulda just bought an Evo 8 or WRX STi.