PDA

View Full Version : 71 cutlass and Baer brakes

puck8345
10-05-2012, 03:30 PM
So I have a 71 Cutlass and I have the stock 15" on it right now but want to upgrade soon. I got a Baer brake kit for cheap. Here is the link to the kit I more or less have. (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BAE-4301034/?rtype=10) I work at Oreillys and had to rebuild the calipers so I called Baer to find out what pistons I need to get and thats when I found out that there are a c4 caliper. I am missing one of the caliper brackets and the only thing I can come up with at work is R&R from A1 cardon. The problem is I don't have one to R&R. So my two questions are what size rims do I need to fit these and dose anyone where to get a bracket? One last thing is it a good kit to use or is there something better.

MCB Matt
10-22-2012, 01:04 PM
Are you missing the "cage" or the spindle to cage bracket?

Matt

Apogee
10-23-2012, 01:37 PM
It sounds like you're missing the "pad abutment bracket" to use PBR's terminology. I don't think new is an option anymore on those parts unless you find some NOS, so I'd start looking for some trashed calipers you can salvage the PAB's.

As for the quality of the kit, they are better than some, but definitely old technology at this point being a pad-guided caliper versus the new pin-guided designs. Caliper rigidity suffers somewhat due to the caliper design, as does pad volume, however they tend to have better wheel fitment than many of the newer OE-based kits like the C5/C6's. As foe wheel size, you'll need 16's to run that caliper with a 12" rotor, or 17's to run it with the 13"...you linked to what appears to be a 13" kit, but it isn't clear.

Tobin
KORE3

MCB Matt
10-23-2012, 02:46 PM
I have calipers here is why i ask....

Matt