PDA

View Full Version : bleeding the hydoboost

Impala Matt
10-04-2012, 09:56 AM
I recently installed a new power steering pump on my '77 Caprice. This car uses hydoboost for the power brakes. The hydroboost unit, pump and all the hoses are factory replacement parts for an '82 Caprice wagon. These parts are a direct bolt in. I only replaced the pump because I had switched the car over to this brake system 2 years ago and now it needed a new pump. With the new pump the steering is jerky. Not all the time. Also I have noticed sometimes when I hold the brake pedal down (with the car running and sitting still) the steering is very hard almost like it does not want to turn. Is it possible there is air in the system? When I first put this car together with this system 2 years ago it took 60 miles before I had power brakes. I have more than that on the new pump but it still feels wrong. I have tried to rebleed it with the cap of, wheels in the air and turning the steering wheel but this will not go away. Before I replaced the pump the system felt fine with none of the current problems. Any thoughts would be helpful

gort69
10-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Sounds similar to my hydroboost install. I think Hydratech says 500 miles for everything to completely settle out. If your experience is like mine after a new pump, the more you drive it the better it'll get. Mine took 100 miles or so for pedal kickback and slow turn dead spots to go away - but they both went away completely.