PDA

View Full Version : brembo brakes on 69 camaro?

vanzuuk1
07-31-2005, 10:40 AM
I just found out I have a connection to get brembo stuff , does anyone have any experiance with a brembo setup on an older camaro? I checked their site and didnt see a kit listed.Basically I am looking to upgrade from stock for a mostly street driven car.

Todds69
08-01-2005, 03:36 PM
I glanced around at the Brembo stuff as well and didn't seee anything for 1st Gen. I'm sure you can get something and make it work.

Ralph LoGrasso
08-01-2005, 04:30 PM
Dirk,

Brembo makes a kit for the front 4th gen F-bodies, so you may be able to adapt some of that stuff to work on the '69, and not have to do a full custom setup. If you can figure out how to use the 4th gen hats and rotors (the kit comes with 4 pot calipers), you may just need to fab up some caliper brackets, or maybe even modify the 4th gen ones. The 4th gen kits look awesome, but are uber pricey at $2k for the front.

vanzuuk1
08-01-2005, 05:28 PM
Wow , just looked at their prices even with the discount they ars off the charts!

MrQuick
08-01-2005, 07:18 PM
just a hint, you might get cheaper prices from Posche, Mitsu and Dodges. You might be able to piece together a kit for around $1000-$1200...don't forget used stuff from ebay. Brackets are cake to make.

vanzuuk1
08-02-2005, 03:13 AM
I wanted to convert mt discs/drums car to 4 wheel disc. I was trying to do a bolt in deal like touring classics. I am in uncharted territory so I am being a little overcautious, dont want to be off the road for a month or have to buy new rims.

Ralph LoGrasso
08-02-2005, 07:22 PM
Vince, make a bracket to work with the porsche "big red" calipers, and the 4th gen F-bod spindle. Hint, hint...nudge, nudge. Use the REALLY big red calipers, not the ones from the '996, the ones that mov it uses in their kits, they're HUGE. I can send ya a pic if you want...

MrQuick
08-02-2005, 07:37 PM
then you'll have to get new rims. oops

USAZR1
08-02-2005, 07:40 PM
I had a pair of the four piston 996 Porsche calipers on my 90 ZR-1 and those things were pretty large. Ralph,are you referring to the Porsche Cayenne SUV units? Those things are huge!
Andre Tigergutt has a pair of them on his C4-suspended 68 Chevelle.

Ralph LoGrasso
08-02-2005, 07:40 PM
then you'll have to get new rims. oops

Naw, there is a hat / rotor combo to work with the F-bod setups. I wish I could find out what it was, though, lol! Stop Tech, and Mov it both make kits using the porsche stuff for the f-bodies. Some other independent person makes them as well. Hmmmm. I wonder how much those calipers cost, anyways? I think they're not too expensive?

Ralph LoGrasso
08-02-2005, 07:44 PM
I had a pair of the four piston 996 Porsche calipers on my 90 ZR-1 and those things were pretty large. Ralph,are you referring to the Porsche Cayenne SUV units? Those things are huge!
Andre Tigergutt has a pair of them on his C4-suspended 68 Chevelle.

Clint,

They may be the Cayenne units. They're huge. I know the normal big red calipers are 4 piston, and they're very commonly used. They are huge, too. What rotor and hat did you use on your ZR1? I'm thinking about this swap for my SS if I can do it cheaper than the Z06 caliper / 13" rotor swap.

Here is a picture of the brakes in question. Supposidly they're a 6 piston porsche unit:

edit: I can't get the picture to work as a normal .jpg, sorry. Just click the link and it will open in a new window.

TitoJones
08-02-2005, 09:48 PM
Our new AFX spindle will accept any Brembo, Alcon, or like caliper with zero mods or brackets needed.
Just a thought.
Tyler

Ralph LoGrasso
08-02-2005, 10:15 PM
Our new AFX spindle will accept any Brembo, Alcon, or like caliper with zero mods or brackets needed.
Just a thought.
Tyler

Ho hum. This is good news, Tyler. Any reason a 14" rotor won't work?

dipren443
08-03-2005, 05:40 AM
Just throwin' my 2 cents in here.

Porsche uses several different Brembo's.

Ralph, the smaller Brembo you mentioned above is not a 996 caliper, but a Boxster (or 986/987) caliper.

The larger "Big Reds" are the turbo calipers. They are 4 piston.

The Cayenne calipers are 6 piston and look similar to the "Big Reds."

USAZR1
08-03-2005, 09:31 AM
Clint,
They may be the Cayenne units. They're huge. I know the normal big red calipers are 4 piston, and they're very commonly used. They are huge, too. What rotor and hat did you use on your ZR1? I'm thinking about this swap for my SS if I can do it cheaper than the Z06 caliper / 13" rotor swap.

Here is a picture of the brakes in question. Supposidly they're a 6 piston porsche unit:

My rotors were Brembo 13.5x1.25 with cast holes. The hats were billet aluminum made by Movit-DE. I bought the kit back in '98 for $2500.

Dipren is correct. Those calipers look smaller than the Twin Turbo "Big Red" units I had.
I've thought about maybe trying to pick up a pair of the Cayenne six piston calipers in a salvage yard.

Ralph LoGrasso
08-03-2005, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the clarification, dipren, and Clint. Sounds like the normal big reds are what I was thinking of.

Clint,

I'd love to find a pair of those in a slavage yard myself.

USAZR1
08-03-2005, 04:43 PM
Clint,
I'd love to find a pair of those in a salvage yard myself.

Sounds like we need to do a little searching,Ralph.

MrQuick
08-03-2005, 06:06 PM
hey check these ralphie...thats alot cheaper than factory.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-BIG-RED-BRAKES-996-BRAKES-ACCESSORIES_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33563QQitem Z7990945481QQrdZ1

Ralph LoGrasso
08-03-2005, 06:27 PM
hey check these ralphie...thats alot cheaper than factory.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-BIG-RED-BRAKES-996-BRAKES-ACCESSORIES_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33563QQitem Z7990945481QQrdZ1

Oof! $850 is a little hard to swallow. For some reason I thought they were only like $150 a caliper? :banghead: I'd only need two for the front, anyways, but at $850, they're a wee bit out of my budget. Thanks for the link, though!

Ralph LoGrasso
08-03-2005, 06:28 PM
Sounds like we need to do a little searching,Ralph.

I'm thinking so. I think the cayenne runs a 14" rotor stock, too?

jeffandre
08-04-2005, 05:15 AM
Clint,
Any idea what the piston sizes are for the Porsche 6-piston caliper? Thanks,

USAZR1
08-04-2005, 08:09 AM
I sure don't,Jeff. Just know those calipers large x huge.
Maybe Andre will see this discussion and give us some input about his.

dipren443
08-04-2005, 08:11 AM
Clint,
Any idea what the piston sizes are for the Porsche 6-piston caliper? Thanks,

jeffandre,

Look at the gif below. Where it says ECS tuning, Stage 3 is the Big Red turbo caliper, Stage 4 is the Cayenne 6 piston. It gives the total piston area for the piston. I will figure it out in a minute and if it hasn't been posted, I will add it when I get a chance.

Ok, since the calipers all have differential pistons, it doesn't help much just knowing the area. I have found the piston sizes for the Big Reds...

"Big Red has 2x36x44mm pistons"

Still looking for the cayenne specs.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

USAZR1
08-04-2005, 08:13 AM
Oof! $850 is a little hard to swallow. For some reason I thought they were only like $150 a caliper? :banghead: I'd only need two for the front, anyways, but at $850, they're a wee bit out of my budget. Thanks for the link, though!
I don't know,Ralph,,$850 for a set of four doesn't sound too bad for those calipers. We might be lucky to find a pair of the six piston units for that price.

Ralph LoGrasso
08-04-2005, 10:12 AM
I don't know,Ralph,,$850 for a set of four doesn't sound too bad for those calipers. We might be lucky to find a pair of the six piston units for that price.

Compared to aftermarket comparable calipers, $850 is a steal. I guess I'm just sort of looking for the killer deal in the back of a junk yard somewhere. "How much for the cayenne calipres and rotors, sir?" "Ahh, $400, take it all." heh, like that would ever happen.

Ralph LoGrasso
08-04-2005, 10:13 AM
jeffandre,

Look at the gif below. Where it says ECS tuning, Stage 3 is the Big Red turbo caliper, Stage 4 is the Cayenne 6 piston. It gives the total piston area for the piston. I will figure it out in a minute and if it hasn't been posted, I will add it when I get a chance.

Ok, since the calipers all have differential pistons, it doesn't help much just knowing the area. I have found the piston sizes for the Big Reds...

So stage 4 is the cayenne rotors? 352.4 / 25.4 = 13.87" Just about 14!

jeffandre
08-04-2005, 12:38 PM
jeffandre,

Thanks, I will print this out and check it against my needs!

SSMOORE
08-06-2005, 12:18 PM
I have 2 viper calipers with pads . I think they are brembo... if any one is interested in them let me know. Like new condition.

steve