PDA

View Full Version : Converging 4 to 3-link conversion

toddshotrods
07-30-2005, 11:59 PM
Did anyone ever go any further with this idea? I am thinking about building a hybrid frame with a 2nd gen Camaro subframe and G-body rear frame clip.

Supercharged 86
07-31-2005, 07:19 AM
I'll tell right now that a G body rear frame clip won't solve anything for you without a good amount of work (or at least money). For the same price you could probably by some generic frame rails and a crossmember (Summit or Jegs) and create your own 3 or 4 link that could even be adjustable and not to mention much stronger. Also you wouldn't have to notch the frame to fit reasobly wide tires. That's the way I think I'd do it at least.

sinned
07-31-2005, 08:24 AM
Won't save you any time or effort. The lower links are very easily fabbed on to just about any chassis anyway and the 3rd link has to run parellel to the centerline, not canted inward as in the case of the "A" or "G" body.

toddshotrods
07-31-2005, 12:42 PM
I plan on having the third link parallel to the CL. The plan is to build a bracket that attaches to the factory upper link mounts that will position the 3rd link where I want it. As far as the lower links still being angled in, I know it's a compromise but I am willing to accept that. Katz had good results with a similar setup on his Riv, so I know I will be satisfied with it.

I am doing it this way because I can build in stages:
The hybrid frame with factory four-link rear susp will allow me to get the car set up and back on the road. I have almost everything I need now, and plan to do this part sometime between now and next spring. There is no cost other than some welding wire and gas, etc.
When I get everything else sorted out and "out grow" the four-link, I can start working on the three-link conversion. I would probably install it next winter and have it wrapped up for the '07 season.

The advantages for me are:

I have very little to spend, allowing me to concentrate on other areas that are more important right now. I also have the foundation set for where I want to go down the road.
I probably won't have enough power at first to be seriously limited by the converging four-link so it really won't be a problem for a while.
I can establish some baseline numbers and subjective data to compare with when I start changing stuff.
I could actually order a bolt in Fab-9 rear end whenever I am ready for it and bolt it in.

So for me it makes perfect sense to start with the G-body/Camaro hydrid chassis. Not trying to be a smart-butt, just trying to help you understand why I am doing this. I have made up my mind to do it - I just want to know if anyone else is doing, or already did, something similar to compare notes.

Mean 69
07-31-2005, 01:39 PM
As far as the lower links still being angled in, I know it's a compromise but I am willing to accept that.

Actually, you can use this to your advantage if you understand how to. Take a look at the three link post in the archive suspension section, there are some good pointers in there that might be of use.

By the way, Evolution Motosports, a great bunch of guys, has a three link conversion kit for late Mustangs. It is really simple, but can you give you some great ideas for you car, the geometries are very similar. I'd recommend a longer upper link than they use though.

Mark

toddshotrods
07-31-2005, 05:55 PM
Thanks Mark, I followed that thread when it was active on the old forum - that's where the idea for this came from. I started reading it over last night before I started this thread, as it was the best thing that came up in a search. Just have to make some time to really dig into it, then dig into the books and figure out my exact setup. I'll also check out the Evolution Motorsports setup. A long third link wouldn't be a problem.

toddshotrods
08-01-2005, 06:41 AM
...Evolution Motosports, a great bunch of guys, has a three link conversion kit for late Mustangs. It is really simple, but can you give you some great ideas for you car, the geometries are very similar. I'd recommend a longer upper link than they use though.

Mark

Yeah that's pretty much what I am going to do. The forward pick up point for the upper link will be welded into the chassis though, since I will have a full frame and cage. I am definitely going to use a Watts link instead of a PB. When I start working on the geometry I will share. Might be a little while because I have a ton of work to do on the car first.

As I said, I just wanted to know if anyone else was doing, or had already done, something similar - since this was discussed on the old forum.