PDA

View Full Version : Edge trim for fab'ed parts

parsonsj
07-30-2005, 08:01 PM
I'd like to put some rubber/vinyl/other kind of edge on my aluminum parts. It will help keep reduce metal to metal contact on the body parts, and will make the gaps a bit tidier. I used 18g (.049) for nearly all of it.

Anybody got a good suggestion? I've been to McMaster-Carr, but I'm overwhelmed with choices.

thanks!
jp

GUS68
08-05-2005, 08:15 PM
Hey!! I dont Know if it is what your after but if you go to the parts store (or some times Wal Mart) They have the cheapie plastic of rubber stuff that is for the edge if a car door. It's supposed to protect your car door edge from chips and dings. They come in packages of 2 and are about 3 ft. long, they are like a tight C shape and some have some sort of sticky stuff in them to help them stick. I have seen them in black and chrome. I have a large hole in my trans tunnel and I used this stuff for the edge so i wouldnt cut my self when working on the tranny.

MuscleRodz
08-05-2005, 10:54 PM
I think what you need is "J" or "U" channel rubber. From Aircraft Spruce ( www.aircraftspruce.com) "J" channel is p/n RCHD. 1/2" on one side, 3/16 on the other, approx 1/32 groove. "U" channel is p/n 05-01400, 3/8 wide, 1/32 groove. The "J" channel has is not as noticable and has more protection on the back side for abrasion.

Mike