PDA

View Full Version : 69 quarter patch panels

lowboy
07-30-2005, 07:23 PM
I just had a full length left side quarter patch panel intalled on car. When the guy cut out the old panel and installed the new panel, he lap jointed the new patch panel to the car as opposed to a butt joint. Is this acceptable? I assumed that the patch panel would be trimmed to fit and a butt joint would be utilized.

CDJr
07-31-2005, 02:22 AM
They can be done either way; its easier, of course, to overlap. I think for a driver, that would probably even add rigidity, but maybe a show car, it may not pass muster. As far as being acceptable, that all depends. Hopefully, the seam was sealed from the backside also, so as not to allow rust problems down the road. Just my 1½ cents worth. Many here are far better qualified to answer.

ProdigyCustoms
07-31-2005, 05:41 AM
Yeah, that is normal practice. Usually a flange tool will be used to imprint the old panel to weld to. It is pretty difficult to butt weld a patch panel and not warp it into a round panel. That is why I do not use those! You would be surprised how many i have cu apart that went right over the old panel. Michael's car had 2 on one side over the original, and it looked like it!All of these cars are worth too much to cheat and use half a panel to save a few hundred. probably in the top 5, maybe top 3 money saving mistakes one could make on their project.

lowboy
07-31-2005, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the input. Had I known that this was the typical method of installing cheater panels, I would have gone a different route. This isn't going to be a "show" car but I do want it to look nice.

I really hate it when I have to learn things the hard way!

makoshark
07-31-2005, 10:39 AM
Did they fully weld the lap? If not, then you could have ghost lines show up when the car gets painted.

lowboy
07-31-2005, 12:58 PM
yes, lap joint is completely welded. I've been reading old posts on this site and others and have learned about ghost lines. The car is going to be silver, so hopefully the lighter color and the joint being completely welded will minimze this possibility. I plan on driving this car hard, so I'm still concerned. Hopefully the ten point cage I installed will minimize the stresses in that area.

CAMAROBOY69
08-01-2005, 04:33 AM
I also butt welded mine. I butt weld every single panel I install. Like they said, either way is acceptable as long as its seam sealed or sprayed to prevent rust in the future.