PDA

View Full Version : Blending Paint

MBD
07-30-2005, 06:25 PM
My son damaged the front fender on our new silver 2005 Honda. The bodyshop and insurance company say it is best to spray the adjoining panels about midway to blend them to the fender. In other words spray half the door and hood as well.

I would rather leave these other panels with the original paint and just color match the fender as close as possible.

Anyone have any insight? What would you do?

ProdigyCustoms
07-30-2005, 07:27 PM
It is almost a certainty the door will have to be blended no matter how close the color, especially on a high metallic color like silver. The hood to fender may fly since it is a thin edge of fender and has a radius also.

MBD
07-31-2005, 04:05 AM
It is almost a certainty the door will have to be blended no matter how close the color, especially on a high metallic color like silver. The hood to fender may fly since it is a thin edge of fender and has a radius also.

I was hoping that you would reply. I'll let them blend it. My concern stemmed from seeing cars around town that have an obvious blend job. Also, I have another car with dead paint on the hood where someone repainted it before I got it.

68protouring454
07-31-2005, 04:49 AM
a good shop will blend that and you will never be able to see it if done right, most silvers need a translucent blend.
jake

MBD
08-01-2005, 08:37 AM
a good shop will blend that and you will never be able to see it if done right, most silvers need a translucent blend.
jake

Ah yes, of course, a translucent blend....what's a translucent blend?

BRIAN
08-01-2005, 10:00 AM
Blending is a common practice on a silver car. I would be more concerned with the shop removing or "R&I'ing" all moldings, handles, and weatherstripping. Also check their ability to match the texture of your original clear coat. A shop that sprays and just wet sands and polishes every job is not what you are looking for. Usually tape lines and a super flat surface are more in your visible than a bad blend. Good luck!!