PDA

View Full Version : Painted windshield edges...lexan

J-440
09-22-2012, 01:16 PM
I am getting ready to sand and paint my lexan windshield (bout 1/4" on the outside edges) and am needing the type (grit) sandpaper and if there is a special paint/primer also. Thanks again!!

FlyDoc
09-22-2012, 01:29 PM
I would use around 600 to start then 1000, or just start withe 1000. Use good quality tape for you border, hard edge from a auto paint supply.
When getting the tape get some bond promotor, and good paint.

astroracer
09-22-2012, 03:57 PM
A Scotchbrite pad will work wonders here. I wouldn't even consider sandpaper for doing this (sorry FlyDoc). If you use Krylon Fuzon for plastic you won't need the adhesion promotor either.
Tape off your edge, hit it with the scotchbrite till it's well frosted. Wipe it down with wax and grease remover and spray it.
Mark

J-440
09-23-2012, 06:15 AM
Cool thanks again guys. This car may almost look like a professional put it together when it's done!!

astroracer
09-23-2012, 05:32 PM
We need pics!!! Get some pics of your windshield, B4 N After. :)

J-440
09-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Dam it!! I did not think of this. My lexan windshield is about 1/8" thinner than the stock window and therefore I have a gap the same size. I thought that when I put the chrome strips back on that it would take care of that. It's not that noticeable but hell I can see it. Anybody got a suggestion on how I can fill this gap in? By the way Astro, your suggestion on the paint products went great. Preciate it!!

astroracer
09-24-2012, 03:18 AM
Do you have any scrap Lexan? If you do you can cut narrow strips to use as fillers on the back side. I did this on a friends race car years ago and, if you don't know it's there, you won't see it. Of course, with your painted edge, it won't be visible from outside anyway.
I'm glad the paint work went well.
Mark