PDA

View Full Version : 1969 olds 442 ride hight.

buysse
09-20-2012, 05:53 PM
I have a 1969 olds 442 that I am working on. My question is how far should I lower it for the best handling/look. I plan on using the car as a cruiser and on a road track. Also I have been looking at the Qa1 pro-touring kits. Are they any good if not what would u suggest. Thanks for your time.

exwestracer
09-21-2012, 04:50 AM
For best handling, it's typical to put the front lower control arm mount bolt and lower balljoint pivot at the same height. We call this "level", but the lower ARM itself often isn't exactly level when you set it up this way. On that typical A-body GM suspension in your Olds, you may need a taller spindle or upper ball joint to get the camber curve right.

I'd start with that, and see if you like the look of the car at that height. Hope this helps.

UMI Performance
09-21-2012, 05:34 AM
How low are you looking to go? Also what wheel and tire combination are you running? There is a couple options out there for you. Below is a nice example of a lowering kit we offer, it uses a Viking brand front coil over kit, rear Viking shocks and a 1" or 2" rear drop spring. This is just one option and a good example. The front kit will allow the front end to go as low as 3".

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_319&products_id=707

I hope this helps some,
Ryan