PDA

View Full Version : electronic carburators

chufham
07-29-2005, 09:35 AM
Does anyone know anything about the electronic carbs from the early to mid 80's?I need to replace mine and I can't see spending $450.00 at auto zone for a rebuilt one.This is on a 305 in my B-Body that I have .I would like to have some suggestions on what I can do until I get the money together for a new engine in a couple of years.
Thanks,Cliff

PRO TC
07-30-2005, 07:40 PM
what wrong with the carb you have?
pro tc

chufham
07-30-2005, 09:08 PM
ProTC the carb on my Caprice was rebuilt 3-4 months ago and gas mileage is worse than before it was rebuilt so I will have to replace it and advance auto and auto zone wants $450.00 for another rebuilt one.I have made all the adjustments that I can nothing helps and I paid to have it rebuilt the mechanic that done the work has gone out of business.Cliff

PRO TC
07-31-2005, 10:17 AM
its to bad you dont live closer i have rebuilt at least a hundred computer controled carbs. are there any codes in computer is the check engine light on by any chance?

barry

ZZ430
07-31-2005, 10:50 AM
If emissions isn't a concern, replace the carb and distributor with the older non-computer controlled pieces.

You can also ditch that primitive ECM and sensors.

This will really clean up the engine compartment and simplify the driveability.

The M/C solenoid/metering rods are often the problem.

chufham
07-31-2005, 11:19 AM
PRO TC & ZZTop, no check engine light is on after the car is started,ZZ emissions on my 85 is only a concern for visual inspection only the air injectors and o2 sensor has to be in place and operational.We have paid the same mechanic to do a complete tune up new cap wires etc.My wife wouldn't let me do the work cause I'm in and out of a wheelchair and this car is big enough to carry the chair in the trunk which one day I hope to be completely out of it and have my Ventura ready to drive when I am,any suggestion would be helpful I'm at my wit's end.I start welding classes at the local cc and the instructor there is great and is wiling to teach me in a wheelchair.I'm sorry this is long winded.Cliff

slowcamaro
07-31-2005, 11:54 AM
I got my computer control carb rebuilt for about a 80 bucks, and they had to replace a the tp sensor (i believe) on it. Look around you might be able to find a place that'll rebuild it pretty cheap...this was on my 82 z28

David Pozzi
07-31-2005, 09:59 PM
Many many late 70's and early 80's GM cars had flat cam problems. If yours is stock, check the cam before assuming the carb is the trouble. We had a 81 pickup with what appeared to be carb problems, after flogging the carb, we found out it was the cam.
David

chufham
08-01-2005, 07:53 AM
David,Would the engine have good power with a cam going flat? If so it seems to me it would be easier to replace the 305 with a 290 HP 350 crate engine.Cliff

bnickel
09-16-2005, 04:26 AM
when i wiped a lobe on my old cam, the car still ran pretty good, as long as i wasn't in the throttle hardcore, then it would start spitting and popping

rockvillespeed
04-13-2006, 09:08 PM
it depends if you wipe an intake or an exhuast lobe.
kill an intake and you may never notice it.
eat an exhaust and it'll spit up thru the carb progressively worse with increased throttle.

if you decide to replace teh carb with a reman, i'd advise, believe it or not, buying a holley brand reman carb (yes, even though it's a qjet)

i've found holley's rebuilt q jets to be notably better then anyone else's as a shelf carburetor.