PDA

View Full Version : Chicane kit vs ridetech coilover

69bigblock
09-17-2012, 04:20 PM
Just a question on these two. Is there any real difference between the speedtech arms and the Chicane coil over kit w/ridetech coil overs verus the ridetech arms and there coil over front system? Seeing that the coil overs are basically the same. For a 69 nova. I'm not going to be a track car just looking to improve my suspension....

marolf101x
09-17-2012, 05:24 PM
You are correct, the shocks are basically the same.
The difference is in the upper mount. We (Ridetech) use a Delrin Ball and Socket stud that bolts into the stock upper shock mount. Speedtech uses an "eye" mount which requires the subframe to be modified and the Chicane kit to be welded in.

TitoJones
09-17-2012, 05:44 PM
You are correct, the shocks are basically the same.
The difference is in the upper mount. We (Ridetech) use a Delrin Ball and Socket stud that bolts into the stock upper shock mount. Speedtech uses an "eye" mount which requires the subframe to be modified and the Chicane kit to be welded in.

Pretty much exactly this.

The reason the Chicane-LM is a weld-in kit is that the factory upper shock mount was not designed to withstand the load path that a coil over shock and spring assembly puts into it. The beefy part under the single stud shock mount is where all the load is placed by the factory coil springs. Hence, cutting that weak tab out of the frame, opening up the frame to allow the entire assembly to have full movement (and for ease of install/adjustably) and then reinforcing the area with a double shear thick plate coil over mount that requires full welding. Bonus is that this can be done with the frame and engine still in the car.

Tyler

chevelletiger
09-17-2012, 07:35 PM
Tyler,when is speed tech going to make the chicane for chevelles?

TitoJones
09-17-2012, 08:23 PM
Tyler,when is speed tech going to make the chicane for chevelles?

That's a great question for Speedtech to answer. We attempted it, but the A body upper control arm mount is shorter than an F body is making the braket difficult to design and install.

Tyler

marolf101x
09-18-2012, 03:25 AM
Tyler is correct. . .the OE upper mount's original design intent was not to carry the weight of the car. . .lucky for us back in the day GM built things WAY heavier than they needed to be.
We have THOUSANDS of Shockwaves and coil-over systems using the stock upper shock mount with nary a problem (including the cars we beat on every weekend: 48 Hour Camaro, 66 Chevelle, Velocity Camaro, etc).
Now, you need to make sure the factory properly welded the mount back in 1960-whatever. If it was done on a Friday afternoon, real close to beer thirty, they may have gotten a little sloppy.

I would also argue that shock adjustment is easier when using the OE mount as the only thing sticking through the subframe is the adjuster knob.

I really like the Chicane kit, but it is simply not required in most applications.

69bigblock
09-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the answers. So the the ridetech system rides good for all around driving and the chicane kit would be better if your more into autocrossing right..

marolf101x
09-18-2012, 03:01 PM
They'll both ride and handle the same. . .same shocks.

It's just a matter of how much work you are willing to incur for installation. Ridetech simply bolts in, while Speedtech requires cutting the subframe and welding in the Chicane mount.

Whichever way you go you should get everything from one manufacturer as a kit. This way you know everything will work as designed. Too often I see people buying the "best" parts from different companies only to have a car that doesn't ride or handle like it should as the parts don't play well together.