PDA

View Full Version : Not your typical Builds. - Superlight Coupe and RCR40

Rebeca_Lynn
09-15-2012, 05:16 PM
I know that both of these builds are not your typical builds for this forum.

The first is a new super-car based design, the SLC. This is the same rolling chassis of the car that won the NASA SU national championship in 2011 and finished in 3rd place this year.

Here are some of the basics of the build we are planing as of right now.

MMR built 5.8L 351ci 4V mod motor
GT500 heads
Kenne Bell 4.2L supercharger liquid cooled set-up for 25-30 psi boost
custom rear mounted mammoth 2350cfm throttle body
MoTec M880 efi and ignition system
Griffen 6 speed transaxle, possible sequential shifting
DC electric - electric assist power steering unit with Woodward rack and column
Alcon rotors and calipers
Forgeline center lock wheels.

As for the RCR40, this is the same replica used in the last of the Fast and Furious movie.

We will be building a MKII model with the same power plant as listed above, the plan with this car is to do a Pro-touring style build, to bring a classic car up todate in both mechanical, power and overall appearance.

As of right now we are in the process of ordering both rolling chassis kits from Race Car Replicas, while we are waiting we will be finishing the first engine build and gathering everything else need to get the build underway.

Matt@BOS
09-15-2012, 06:12 PM
Welcome aboard! I don't know if you're familiar with pro-touring's sister site, Lateral-G, but there is a small group over there that have a real soft spot for the SLC. You should introduce yourself there as well.

I'm not sure if Fran told you about, or if you saw, the Gulf blue Mk1 with the aluminum blown 5.4L mod motor that was sitting in his shop for about a year, but that was my genius idea for building a fun reliable, relatively streetable car for my dad. And by genius, I mean crazy, possibly stupid, and definitely not simple. I have a feeling that we might be throwing ideas back and forth. As delivered, Fran built a little aluminum shroud around the blower pulley which obstructs the rear window, and also has the engine fit such that the coolant outlets for the intercooler hit the firewall. A little more engineering will be in order, I think. Also the wet sump pan is currently the lowest part of the car, and really needs to be swapped out for a dry sump setup, which also might require some creativity to find some space for the external belt driven pump. I haven't looked at that in a while though, but you probably know how simple things seldom end up being simple. Also, make sure you fit the Kenne Bell before it leaves RCR. The stock 1.9 Eaton supercharger clears the back 'glass on the mkI by less than an inch in our GT40.

Anyway, I really look forward to seeing these two cars come together. They should both provide a ton of enjoyment during the build process, and will no doubt provide countless smiles once on the road!

Matt

shortrack
09-15-2012, 09:40 PM
What is a Superlight Coupe and a RCR40? pics? And no offense but I can't get through five minutes of any Fast and Furious movie.

53Vipette
09-16-2012, 06:04 AM
The RCR40 is like a GT40 lookalike and the Superlite Coupe is a McLaren/Saleen looking car. Both are cool looking for sure.

Rebeca_Lynn
09-16-2012, 08:20 AM
Yes the RCR40 is a replica GT40, the model I am building is the MKII.

Unlike most replicas available which uses a tubular frame with steel panels attached to build the tub and uses suspension from other cars. RCR uses a all aluminum monocoque tub with billet aluminum suspension parts.

The SLC uses an aluminum tub much like the RCR40, along with billet aluminum suspension parts. The SLC is there own design of a supercar mid-engine design. The car has been featured on David Stacy's Gears show.

Shorttrack, I agree not big on the movie, the car was used in the opening of the movie.

Having issues uploading pics, as I am on my IPad right now will load some picks as soon as I can.

You can also look at there website. www.race-car-replicas.com for the RCR40 or at www.superlitecars.com for the SLC.

Rebeca_Lynn
09-16-2012, 08:33 AM
69MSA,

I agree both cars will be fun to build, I am having the engines set-up at there shop. At the same time I am opting out of some of the factory options on both cars as I have certain products that I prefer over what is avilible from them, nothing against there choice of components.

I do remember the car you are talking about.

I have choosen to go with the MKII model, also will be talking with one of there dealers out of Germany, Tom. As he has made new rear fender molds for a wide body style, which will allow me to use taller and wider rear wheel and tire combo.

I am also planning on using Aviaid new billet oil pan 4-stage system. Along with a custom rear mounted TB on the supercharger with a custom airbox that will feed the dual side intakes on the MKII body.

Rebeca_Lynn
09-16-2012, 08:34 AM
Double post

darkgable79
07-08-2013, 11:33 AM
What ever happened to these builds?