PDA

View Full Version : Passenger side tire hits frame

19sixtynine
09-14-2012, 05:34 PM
i've got a 69 Camaro with a big block, stock subframe, stock big block springs, stock steering box modified to 3 turns lock to lock with slightly larger bump stops and 18x8 with 245x40's. what happens is when turning the wheel lock to lock the passenger side tire hit the frame both ways. It only happens on the passenger side and even when it was in stock configuration with 15 inch rims I recall it doing that, which is why I had larger bump stops installed. Any thoughts on why it's only the one side that hits the frame? I can't recall the last time the suspension has been gone through, the cars been sitting for about 10 years. I thought i'd check here before bringing it to an alignment and frame shop....

Thanks,

Robert

67rally
09-14-2012, 06:52 PM
Could just need a simple alignment.

Front subframe needs to be aligned with body?

Wrong length steering arm on one side?

How is the ride height on that wheel compared to the opposite side?

How are the leaf springs in the rear?

19sixtynine
09-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Thanks 67rally, ride heigth was always the same side to side and the rear leafs (multi leaf) seem to be in tact and still good. Very reassuring to know that it could just be alignment, and I hadn't thought of the steering arm so that's a good possibility as well. Sounds like the first trip after it gets running will be to the alignment and frame shop.....

67rally
09-15-2012, 04:24 AM
If the front subframe has been off the car, or even if the body mounts have been changed, you need to make sure to reallign it. There are alignment holes in the frame and body that you can line up with a dowel pin.

Make sure that's correct first, then check front end alignment.

19sixtynine
09-15-2012, 08:16 AM
I have replaced the body mounts with solid mounts so i'll be sure to check the alignment of the subframe as well, thanks for the tip!