PDA

View Full Version : Possible to widen a 12 bolt rear?

mdes0
09-14-2012, 01:41 PM
Hey folks, have a 70 Camaro project with a 12 bolt rear under it. I'm thinking about flaring the quarters, so I'm looking into widening the rear end. Since I already have wheels and have welded on Quadra link brackets I don't want to replace the housing. Anyone know if this is possible or more importantly safe\recommended?

Thanks, Matt

dontlifttoshift
09-14-2012, 02:28 PM
You can retube the housing, although it is not as easy as a 9". I think it would be easier to widen your wheels. If they are 3 piece it would be way easier to widen your wheels.

As for just cutting the ends off the housing and adding tube, that's a bad idea. If you wanted to go to a floater setup I think I could get you a couple of inches per side then.

TheJDMan
09-14-2012, 04:40 PM
The other alternative would be to run a quality set of hubcentric wheel spacers. I have seen people run spacers upwards of 3" on some applications. That said a floater kit can be purchased from Moser for around $400 plus axles.

exwestracer
09-15-2012, 04:23 AM
X2 on Donny's idea of converting to a floater. I was going to suggest a C-clip eliminator kit and axles with more "stickout", but a floater is even safer yet. There might be some real cost involved in the axles, as most floater axles are splined for 31 spline 9" Ford on the inner ends; but you'd be doing custom axles regardless of what solution you came up with.